PDA

View Full Version : New graphic card

lamba
January 24th 05, 10:35 PM
I all,

I am planning on ordering a 6600GT AGP graphics card, maybe this
Thursday.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of the MSI brand? And yes I have
googled.

Right now I am using a Geforce3 TI200 card, this will go to my son.
I would like to keep this system for quite awhile, as I upgraded to
the Abit AI7 last year.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

System specs:
Abit AI7
OCZ PC3700 1 meg
WD Sata 160 gig hard drive
Antec 400 watt power supply

ewan
January 25th 05, 01:04 AM
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:15 -0700, lamba wrote:

> I all,
>
> I am planning on ordering a 6600GT AGP graphics card, maybe this
> Thursday.
>
> I was wondering what everyone thinks of the MSI brand? And yes I have
> googled.
>
> Right now I am using a Geforce3 TI200 card, this will go to my son.
> I would like to keep this system for quite awhile, as I upgraded to
> the Abit AI7 last year.
>
> Thanks for your opinions in advance.
>
> System specs:
> Abit AI7
> OCZ PC3700 1 meg
> WD Sata 160 gig hard drive
> Antec 400 watt power supply

i got an msi 6600 diamond, basicly a 20% slower clocked card than the
gt and it is utter crap, im sending it back tomorrow. it couldnt do very
well in doom3, there were also real problems with drivers which skrewed up
windows making it unuasble and after much hassle got it to stop crashing
but the vivo isnt coming up

i thing there are still probs with the agp 6600s and would advise waiting
till the bugs are sorted out

Alex
January 25th 05, 04:31 AM
ewan wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:15 -0700, lamba wrote:
>

>>I all,
>>
>>I am planning on ordering a 6600GT AGP graphics card, maybe this
>>Thursday.
>>
>>I was wondering what everyone thinks of the MSI brand? And yes I have
>>googled.
>>
>>Right now I am using a Geforce3 TI200 card, this will go to my son.
>>I would like to keep this system for quite awhile, as I upgraded to
>>the Abit AI7 last year.
>>
>>Thanks for your opinions in advance.
>>
>>System specs:
>>Abit AI7
>>OCZ PC3700 1 meg
>>WD Sata 160 gig hard drive
>>Antec 400 watt power supply
>

> i got an msi 6600 diamond, basicly a 20% slower clocked card than the
> gt and it is utter crap, im sending it back tomorrow. it couldnt do very
> well in doom3, there were also real problems with drivers which skrewed up
> windows making it unuasble and after much hassle got it to stop crashing
> but the vivo isnt coming up
>
> i thing there are still probs with the agp 6600s and would advise waiting
> till the bugs are sorted out

You mean the whole 6600 group, GT or non GT, or just only cards with
6600 chips??

ewan
January 25th 05, 08:37 PM
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:31:10 +0800, Alex wrote:

>> i thing there are still probs with the agp 6600s and would advise
>> waiting till the bugs are sorted out
>
> You mean the whole 6600 group, GT or non GT, or just only cards with 6600
> chips??

the 6600 gpu is designed for pci-express boards, they use an agp adaptor
chip and its very new so is having probs, the 6800s which are desighed for
agp are damn close in price and there are hacks that can give them the
same number of pipelines as 6800gt's and these seem to be the only card
without anything wrong as unfortunatly the 6800gt seems to have a broken
video processor which isnt an issue for gamers but would **** me off a lot

PRIVATE1964
January 26th 05, 06:18 AM
I'm getting the MSI 6600GT AGP in a few days. To me it offers the most
bang for the buck.

Good Points

1) Reasonably priced

2) VIVO

3) Large Copper heatsink cools GPU and memory

4) Includes a large Software bundle

5) Performance on par with the 6600GT series

Bad Points

1) Temperature monitor disabled or non existant, but most likely just
not enabled in bios

2) Might have a heatsink problem. It won't fall off on the AGP model
because it is screwed to the metal brace on the back of the card. The
heatsink is so large and there are only two pins though so I think the
heatsink has a tendency to rock up off of the core.

So I suggest if you get the MSI to keep a watch on the pads that cover
the memory under the heatsink. If the heatsink rocks off the core you
will see space between the pads and the memory chips.

The first thing I am gonna do is make a mental note of any space
between the heatsink and the GPU and memory.

Then I am gonna stress the card for at least 24 hours and then check
the spacing again. I think the heat is making the stickiness on the
thermal pads loosen up so the heatsink lets go of the pads and rocks
off of the core. If that is the case a fix would be to put a small pad
under both sides the heatsink so it can't rock on the axis of the
support bar.

lamba
January 27th 05, 05:24 AM
On 25 Jan 2005 21:18:33 -0800, "PRIVATE1964" >
wrote:

>I'm getting the MSI 6600GT AGP in a few days. To me it offers the most
>bang for the buck.
>

>Good Points
>
>1) Reasonably priced
>
>2) VIVO
>
>3) Large Copper heatsink cools GPU and memory
>
>4) Includes a large Software bundle
>
>5) Performance on par with the 6600GT series
>

>Bad Points
>
>1) Temperature monitor disabled or non existant, but most likely just
>not enabled in bios
>
>2) Might have a heatsink problem. It won't fall off on the AGP model
>because it is screwed to the metal brace on the back of the card. The
>heatsink is so large and there are only two pins though so I think the
>heatsink has a tendency to rock up off of the core.
>

>So I suggest if you get the MSI to keep a watch on the pads that cover
>the memory under the heatsink. If the heatsink rocks off the core you
>will see space between the pads and the memory chips.
>
>The first thing I am gonna do is make a mental note of any space
>between the heatsink and the GPU and memory.
>
>Then I am gonna stress the card for at least 24 hours and then check
>the spacing again. I think the heat is making the stickiness on the
>thermal pads loosen up so the heatsink lets go of the pads and rocks
>off of the core. If that is the case a fix would be to put a small pad
>under both sides the heatsink so it can't rock on the axis of the
>support bar.

It seems like the best bang for the buck to me also .

I have decided to wait until late February, or early March, I am
expecting a really good income tax check by that time.

Please post on what you find out with your experiment, and how you
like the card. Thank you very much for your post.

Laurie

lamba
January 27th 05, 05:24 AM
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:04:10 GMT, ewan > wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:15 -0700, lamba wrote:
>
>> I all,
>>
>> I am planning on ordering a 6600GT AGP graphics card, maybe this
>> Thursday.
>>
>> I was wondering what everyone thinks of the MSI brand? And yes I have
>> googled.
>>
>> Right now I am using a Geforce3 TI200 card, this will go to my son.
>> I would like to keep this system for quite awhile, as I upgraded to
>> the Abit AI7 last year.
>>
>> Thanks for your opinions in advance.
>>
>> System specs:
>> Abit AI7
>> OCZ PC3700 1 meg
>> WD Sata 160 gig hard drive
>> Antec 400 watt power supply
>
>i got an msi 6600 diamond, basicly a 20% slower clocked card than the
>gt and it is utter crap, im sending it back tomorrow. it couldnt do very
>well in doom3, there were also real problems with drivers which skrewed up
>windows making it unuasble and after much hassle got it to stop crashing
>but the vivo isnt coming up
>
>i thing there are still probs with the agp 6600s and would advise waiting
>till the bugs are sorted out

So, how long should I wait?

Thank you for your reply/

Laurie

lamba
January 27th 05, 05:24 AM
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:37:00 GMT, ewan > wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:31:10 +0800, Alex wrote:
>
>>> i thing there are still probs with the agp 6600s and would advise
>>> waiting till the bugs are sorted out
>>
>> You mean the whole 6600 group, GT or non GT, or just only cards with 6600
>> chips??
>

>the 6600 gpu is designed for pci-express boards, they use an agp adaptor
>chip and its very new so is having probs, the 6800s which are desighed for
>agp are damn close in price and there are hacks that can give them the
>same number of pipelines as 6800gt's and these seem to be the only card
>without anything wrong as unfortunatly the 6800gt seems to have a broken
>video processor which isnt an issue for gamers but would **** me off a lot

Thank you for your reply.

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:08 AM
I sure will, by then though I will most likely have it modded totally
different.

One mistake in my post that I figured out. If the heatsink is rocking
backwards off the memory and off of the GPU. Then you only need to use
one small pad on the opposite side of the memory. That way the heatsink
can not flip backwards because of the pad, or forward because of the
memory.

Hope this makes sense

|-------------------------------|
|-------------------------------|
Pad [ ] memory
Support Arm

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:10 AM
Sorry, I forgot to say your welcome in my last post.

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:21 AM
I included a better picture of what I mean here. Just copy the link
into your browser.
http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=bothsidesmsi3gp.jpg

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:27 AM
I included a better picture of what I mean here. I superimposed both
sides of the card together in the picture so you could see the support
arm.
http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=bothsidesmsi3gp.jpg

Alex
January 27th 05, 06:48 AM
PRIVATE1964 wrote:
> I'm getting the MSI 6600GT AGP in a few days. To me it offers the most
> bang for the buck.
>

> Good Points
>
> 1) Reasonably priced
>
> 2) VIVO
>
> 3) Large Copper heatsink cools GPU and memory
>
> 4) Includes a large Software bundle
>
> 5) Performance on par with the 6600GT series
>

> Bad Points
>
> 1) Temperature monitor disabled or non existant, but most likely just
> not enabled in bios
>
> 2) Might have a heatsink problem. It won't fall off on the AGP model
> because it is screwed to the metal brace on the back of the card. The
> heatsink is so large and there are only two pins though so I think the
> heatsink has a tendency to rock up off of the core.
>

> So I suggest if you get the MSI to keep a watch on the pads that cover
> the memory under the heatsink. If the heatsink rocks off the core you
> will see space between the pads and the memory chips.
>
> The first thing I am gonna do is make a mental note of any space
> between the heatsink and the GPU and memory.
>
> Then I am gonna stress the card for at least 24 hours and then check
> the spacing again. I think the heat is making the stickiness on the
> thermal pads loosen up so the heatsink lets go of the pads and rocks
> off of the core. If that is the case a fix would be to put a small pad
> under both sides the heatsink so it can't rock on the axis of the
> support bar.

Is that heatsink from Cool Master? Thanks.

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:35 PM
Not sure what you mean. The heatsink is the stock heatsink that comes
with the MSI 6600GT agp version.

PRIVATE1964
January 27th 05, 06:42 PM
I think I figured out why the heatsink has problems. When it is hanging
upside down in the slot. There is more weight on the fin side of the
heatsink, so when the stickiness of the memory pads loosens just a bit.
It lets go of that side of the card and because of the extra weight of
the fins it rocks the heatsink off of the GPU. So sliding a pad under
the other side of the card like in the picture I posted should keep
that from happening.

lamba
January 28th 05, 06:31 AM
On 26 Jan 2005 21:21:37 -0800, "PRIVATE1964" >
wrote:

>I included a better picture of what I mean here. Just copy the link
>into your browser.
>http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=bothsidesmsi3gp.jpg

Thank you so much for all of your postings. I have saved the pic on my
computer.

Laurie

January 28th 05, 06:45 AM
Anandtech did a review of about 10 6600gts.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1

lamba
January 28th 05, 04:15 PM
On 27 Jan 2005 21:45:52 -0800, wrote:

>Anandtech did a review of about 10 6600gts.
>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1

Thank you for this link, I will check it out.

Laurie

PRIVATE1964
January 29th 05, 03:14 AM
I got the MSI 6600GT AGP yesterday and so far so good.

There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the memory pads. I have
stressed the card 20 hours straight using 3DMark 2001 looped with not a
single problem.

My scores with a 2500+ Barton;

GPU 500 / 900 Memory

3DMark 2001 - 13600
3DMark 2003 - 7214
3Dmark 2005 - 3166

Overclocked stable to 565 GPU / 1.17 Memory
3DMark 2001 - 14000
3DMark 2003 - 8241
3Dmark 2005 - 3415

lamba
January 30th 05, 04:39 PM
On 28 Jan 2005 18:14:37 -0800, "PRIVATE1964" >
wrote:

>I got the MSI 6600GT AGP yesterday and so far so good.
>
>There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the memory pads. I have
>stressed the card 20 hours straight using 3DMark 2001 looped with not a
>single problem.
>
>My scores with a 2500+ Barton;
>
>GPU 500 / 900 Memory
>
>3DMark 2001 - 13600
>3DMark 2003 - 7214
>3Dmark 2005 - 3166
>
>Overclocked stable to 565 GPU / 1.17 Memory
>3DMark 2001 - 14000
>3DMark 2003 - 8241
>3Dmark 2005 - 3415

Thank you for this infomation

Laurie

PRIVATE1964
January 31st 05, 01:16 AM
So far so good, the card works pretty well. I had to stop using the MSI
video drivers which I think were the 71.22's because they cause yellow
water in Half-Life 2. I am now using the beta 67.03's from the Nvidia
website with no problems. I have been looking for a way to turn on the
temperature monitor, if it has one with no success. That is the only
thing I dislike about this card so far. Bestbyte has a $6.00 approx.
external temperature sensor you can add to monitor the temperature, but
you would have to remove the heatsink most likely. I think I might go
that route.