PDA

View Full Version : Any 256MB 6600GT cards around?

BillL
January 24th 05, 06:47 PM
Hello all

Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to be
any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm well
aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc and
that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
*future-proof*?

BillL

Iain Dingsdale
January 25th 05, 10:04 AM
"BillL" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hello all
>
> Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
> be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
> well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc
> and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
> *future-proof*?

As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so dont
waste your time!

> BillL

Freedom55
January 25th 05, 02:34 PM
Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "BillL" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>
>>Hello all
>>
>>Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
>>be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
>>well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc
>>and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
>>*future-proof*?
>

> As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so dont
> waste your time!
>

>>BillL

Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
horsepower!

Ron

BillL
January 25th 05, 09:05 PM
"Freedom55" <"joinertake this > wrote in message
> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>> "BillL" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>
>>>Hello all
>>>
>>>Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
>>>be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
>>>well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games
>>>etc and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
>>>*future-proof*?
>>

>> As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so
>> dont waste your time!
>>

>>>BillL
>>>

> Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
> throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
> horsepower!
>
> Ron

Thanks Ron, had been thinking about going the extra mile and getting a SLI
mobo. A couple of 6600GT cards should fly!

BillL

First of One
January 26th 05, 06:41 AM
Be careful there. For SLI to kick in, the drivers must contain settings for
each individual game. Unless the game you play is one of these:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_hardware_sliapps.html

The 2nd card will just be sitting idle.

"Freedom55" <"joinertake this > wrote in message
> Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
> throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
> horsepower!
>
> Ron

Freedom55
January 26th 05, 12:03 PM
First of One wrote:
> Be careful there. For SLI to kick in, the drivers must contain settings for
> each individual game. Unless the game you play is one of these:
>
> http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_hardware_sliapps.html
>
> The 2nd card will just be sitting idle.

This is also an interesting article which confirms what First of One is
saying. http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/geforce6600gt-sli/index.x?pg=1

Ron

First of One
January 26th 05, 04:04 PM
Or this one: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

It should be possible to force SLI in unsupported games, if not now then
very soon, though the results will vary. nVidia's SLI solution certainly
isn't as universally compatible as 3dfx's.

You'd think with Gary Tarolli (the "T" in T-buffer) and some 100 ex-3dfx
employees now working at nVidia, they'd come up with something a bit more
robust. It's not like nVidia's single-chip cards are faltering.