PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT OR 6800GT???


snowblind
January 21st 05, 08:31 PM
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows


P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS

Fat Freddy's Cat
January 21st 05, 08:53 PM
snowblind wrote:
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>
>

Aeolus 6600gt was a crock of ****. Couldn't get it to work despite all
the 'fixes' I read here and on the web.
XFX 6600gt worked straight out the box and is even sitting here
overclocked quite happily.

g.

Big Bird
January 21st 05, 09:47 PM
snowblind wrote:
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>
>
> P4 2.4
> ASUS P4S8X
> 1GB Corsair 2700
> MSI Ti42008X
> 400W PS

6800GT of course !!!
Mhz is no substitute for pipelines....

sp
January 21st 05, 09:53 PM
i would highly recommend MSI or leadtek both are real good companies. I had
the leadtek 5900xt and it was a good performer but i upgreaded to a 6800GT
by MSI. a 6600GT is not bad but if u want performance a 6800GT is much
better bet if ur rig can handle it. my rig is a P4 2.8GHz and i get 53,000
in aquamark. 10,000 in 3dmark03 and 5000 in 05. thats with 512MB DDR400
RAM in case ur wondering.

hope this info helps

sp

Iain Dingsdale
January 21st 05, 10:57 PM
"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows

whats your current monitor?

>
>
> P4 2.4
> ASUS P4S8X
> 1GB Corsair 2700
> MSI Ti42008X
> 400W PS

b
January 21st 05, 11:47 PM
snowblind wrote:
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>
>
> P4 2.4
> ASUS P4S8X
> 1GB Corsair 2700
> MSI Ti42008X
> 400W PS

The key here is that you are only running a 2.4 P4 pentium so if I were
you and you were not going to upgrade the processor soon go with the
6600 GT and get your monitor. A processor upgrade is next on your goodie
list. You did not say what your dream monitor is but if you are looking
for a TFT monitor then make sure the speed is 16ms or faster like 12 ms.

regards

B

Alex
January 22nd 05, 09:56 AM
"snowblind" > wrote in message ...
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows


P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS
What is your dream monitor? A LCD one or a CRT one?

Richard Cavell
January 22nd 05, 11:16 AM
On 22/1/05 6:31 AM, snowblind wrote:
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows

Mate,

Having a nice monitor is underestimated. When you've used a big
monitor, every other monitor looks inadequate. It makes a huge
difference to ordinary windows work, and of course if you're doing video
editing, high-end gaming or something else that requires definition,
you'll be grateful for it. I'd go with a nice monitor before the video
card. The monitor will also last you a lot longer than the card. They
will never become obsolete. (Until we get 3D displays).

Eric
January 22nd 05, 04:03 PM
My MSI 6600GT works great out of the box. As long as you don't have some
weird cheapo chipset for your mobo (like SIS) -- you should be fine.


"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>
>
> P4 2.4
> ASUS P4S8X
> 1GB Corsair 2700
> MSI Ti42008X
> 400W PS

snowblind
January 22nd 05, 05:02 PM
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:03:28 -0500, "Eric" > wrote:

>My MSI 6600GT works great out of the box. As long as you don't have some
>weird cheapo chipset for your mobo (like SIS) -- you should be fine.
>
>
>"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
>> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
>> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
>> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
>> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
>> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
>> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
>> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
>> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>>
>>
>> P4 2.4
>> ASUS P4S8X
>> 1GB Corsair 2700
>> MSI Ti42008X
>> 400W PS
>o great my mobo is SIS chipset.....does this mean im screwed?....(sigh)

Scotter
January 22nd 05, 05:51 PM
BFG has been a good brand for me for last three cards.
If you get the 6600GT you may soon regret not getting the 6800GT.
Buy the card that will last you longer.

"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>
>
> P4 2.4
> ASUS P4S8X
> 1GB Corsair 2700
> MSI Ti42008X
> 400W PS

OldFartJAC
January 22nd 05, 08:16 PM
"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:03:28 -0500, "Eric" > wrote:
>
>>My MSI 6600GT works great out of the box. As long as you don't have some
>>weird cheapo chipset for your mobo (like SIS) -- you should be fine.
>>
>>
>>"snowblind" > wrote in message
...
>>> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
>>> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
>>> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
>>> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
>>> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
>>> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
>>> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
>>> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>>>
>>>
>>> P4 2.4
>>> ASUS P4S8X
>>> 1GB Corsair 2700
>>> MSI Ti42008X
>>> 400W PS
>>o great my mobo is SIS chipset.....does this mean im screwed?....(sigh)
No, you will be just fine. I don't know who Eric is but he doesn't have a
clue of what he is talking about, just like about a third of the people who
populate these newsgroups. I am running a BFG 6800 GT OC in my Abit SR7-8X
(SIS Chipset MB) and it has worked great since I installed it 6 months ago.
I have never had any trouble with any trouble with SIS chipsets, and I have
2 different systems running with SIS chipsets. Actually I haven't had any
trouble with any chipsets, Intel, VIA or SIS in any of the many systems I
have built over the years. I would probably go ahead and get the 6800 GT if
I were you. I bought BFG because of their lifetime warranty and 7/24 Toll
Free support which I have never had to use. Also it comes slightly OC'd
right out of the box. I also have an MSI GF3 Ti200 and Leadtek GF4 Ti 4200
8X in my other systems and they have also been great cards.

Paul Williams
January 25th 05, 01:08 AM
Hi,

I'm saving my pennies for the MSI 6800GT, currently have a
Ti4200 slightly overclocked in a P4 2.4Gz OCd to 2.6GHz.

As far as monitors are concerned I bought an Iiyama LS902UT
19 inch FST just over a year or so ago for 122 ($240) and I
have been very happy with it for gaming. OK not a flat screen
but nice and big and high-res too.


Paul

Scotter wrote:
> BFG has been a good brand for me for last three cards.
> If you get the 6600GT you may soon regret not getting the 6800GT.
> Buy the card that will last you longer.
>
> "snowblind" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
>>from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
>>because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
>>after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
>>trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
>>crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
>>can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
>>help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>>
>>
>> P4 2.4
>> ASUS P4S8X
>> 1GB Corsair 2700
>> MSI Ti42008X
>> 400W PS
>
>
>

Alex
January 26th 05, 06:38 AM
Paul Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm saving my pennies for the MSI 6800GT, currently have a
> Ti4200 slightly overclocked in a P4 2.4Gz OCd to 2.6GHz.
>
> As far as monitors are concerned I bought an Iiyama LS902UT
> 19 inch FST just over a year or so ago for 122 ($240) and I
> have been very happy with it for gaming. OK not a flat screen
> but nice and big and high-res too.
>
>
> Paul
>
> Scotter wrote:
>
>> BFG has been a good brand for me for last three cards.
>> If you get the 6600GT you may soon regret not getting the 6800GT.
>> Buy the card that will last you longer.
>>
>> "snowblind" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>
>>> hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
>>> from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
>>> because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
>>> after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
>>> trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
>>> crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
>>> can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
>>> help this old man!!!....system is as follows
>>>
>>>
>>> P4 2.4
>>> ASUS P4S8X
>>> 1GB Corsair 2700
>>> MSI Ti42008X
>>> 400W PS
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Do you think your P4 2.6 would fit the 6800GT?


Btw, it seems to me that a nice monitor worths more and lasts longer
than the video card.

Dave Zass
January 26th 05, 08:30 AM
> Btw, it seems to me that a nice monitor worths more and lasts longer than
> the video card.

A VERY good point, often overlooked. The monitors far outlive the video
cards.

I bought my NEC MultiSync 90 (19") back in 2000. I forget how much I paid
then, maybe even $600. I'm resisting the urge to buy a LCD now, but my
monitor is still doing great. Looks great at 1024x768 desktop, just like
the day I brought it home. I'm about to install my third video card (GF2
MX440, GF4Ti4800SE, BFG 6800 GT OC ) that this monitor has seen and I don't
think I've even stretched its limits yet.

Gordon
June 10th 05, 06:08 PM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
...
>
> I bought my NEC MultiSync 90 (19") back in 2000. I forget how much I paid
> then, maybe even $600. I'm resisting the urge to buy a LCD now, but my
> monitor is still doing great. Looks great at 1024x768 desktop, just like
> the day I brought it home. I'm about to install my third video card (GF2
> MX440, GF4Ti4800SE, BFG 6800 GT OC ) that this monitor has seen and I
> don't think I've even stretched its limits yet.
>

Hang onto it, unless you have space limitations there's no reason to trade
it in for an LCD. Although sooner or later you won't have a choice,
high-end CRTs are probably marked for the endangered species list.