PDA

View Full Version : Re: Video driver crash at end sequence of Half-Life 2 (could be spoiler?)

Spencer
January 17th 05, 03:43 PM
I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
(But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)

You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end
(The silliest ending ever is in Broken Sword 3, The Dragon and George, get
it?
Bet you didn't see that coming did you?)

--
Regards
Spencer

http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Iain Dingsdale skrev:
>
> > > Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
> > > crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
> > > the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
> > > (is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)
> >
> > Update your driver and find out
>
> Anyone with Nvidia 44.03 driver that get this ending to work.
>
> Or anyone with 45.23 drivers. Drivers above that gives poor
> performance on Ti-4200 so I'd really not like having to change.
>
> Or anyone knowing what driver I need for this to work that works best
> with the Ti-4200 without to much performace loss (strange, no crashes
> anywere else in the game or in any other HL-series games at all)?
>
> The error I get (just as the G-man is finished speaking and the screen
> goes b/w and then very bright) is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the
> drivers causing the crash is NV4_DISP.DLL (yes, that IS the video)
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

DaveL
January 18th 05, 12:09 AM
Makes sense to me. If you had also benched with 3dMark05, 66.93 probably
would have been the fastest. HL2 just came out two months ago. So take a
guess what benchmark is more relevant? That's right 3dMark05.

DaveL

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:
>
> 3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
> 44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
> 45.23 12056 10472 1456
> 61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
> 66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)
>
> First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
> and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????
>
> What is most important/relevant for games like Quake2, Half-Life,
> Half-Life 2, Need for Speed (alle version)? The 2000/2001 or 2003?
>
> 1) 44.03 stutters like hell on the end sequence in Half-Life 2
> The other drivers all did this very well (45.23 smoothest).
> Maybe the others have less stuttering inside HL2 as well?
> But this driver is still the fastest in 3dMark 2000/2001.
>
> 2) 61.77 rendered the "point sprite" (the horse) in 3dmark 2001
> completly wrong. It got transparent and did NOT look good :-(
> Still (or maybe because of) it the fastest in 3dMark 2003.
>
> 3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
> quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
> No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
> like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
> settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
> But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

N┤far
January 18th 05, 12:22 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]
> OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:
>
> 3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
> 44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
> 45.23 12056 10472 1456
> 61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
> 66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)
>
> First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
> and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????

They probably don┤t optimize for 01 anymore as it┤s getting old.

McGrandpa
January 18th 05, 01:43 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud"
snip

> 3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
> quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
> No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
> like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
> settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
> But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(

Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more relevance to
todays games.
McG.

McGrandpa
January 18th 05, 03:15 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> McGrandpa skrev:
>
>> Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
>> attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more
>> relevance to
>
> Tried 05 too, but that doesn't work on any driver :-(
> Just a message about not beeing able to call some function
>
> That's a bit bad, that the Nvidia drivers doesn't trap that
> function. If any games use that - well - GeForce4 won't work

All of em I have (3DM2001, 2003, 2005) work fully with my Ti4600. Not
sure which batch of drivers I've used with it and XP in the last three
years since I got it :) This card and the Radeon 8500 have been the
best damn vid cards I've ever owned. They just keep on truckin!
I'll ressurrect the FX5900 with a new cooling kit. I think. The 6800
looks as solid as the 4600 so far. I've never used a 4200 though.
Just thought I'd let ya know the 4600 completed all the 3DMark 2001, 3,
and 5 tests under the nvidia driver sets 61.77, 66.93 and 67.02 with no
problems. I haven't installed the 67.03 set yet and have the 6800 in
now anyway.
Good luck!
McG.

GFree
January 18th 05, 05:24 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm not sure if I get the whole part of his speach. The last thing
> that happends is that while he is speaking colors change to black &
> white, when the screen gets brighter and brighter, alomost white,
> crash... I guess something happends after that, or is the "end
> titles" black text on a completly white background... Or :-)

I can't tell if you've fixed your problem yet or not, but I had the EXACT
same problem as you're having, with the screen turning white and my computer
deciding to reboot itself each and every time at that point,

I was running some older 4x.xx drivers because I have the same Ti 4200 you
have, so I upgraded to a 6x.xx version driver. It's slightly slower, but it
fixed the problem and also fixed some other issues I had in other games. I
prefer stability to frame rates anyday.

CriticalMass
January 19th 05, 01:46 AM
Spencer wrote:
> I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
> (But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)
>
> You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
> seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end

That's the most bizarre statement I've heard in quite a while.

The HL2 ending *for me* was very different. Took me a bunch of tries
just to get through it. Major battle with a couple of those fighter
ships (whatever they're called) and then had to shoot a BUNCH of energy
balls at the power generation plant to blow it up. GLORIOUS ENDING !
And quite exciting.

Anti-climax? Nah.

Spencer
January 19th 05, 09:33 AM
--

"CriticalMass" > wrote in message

> Spencer wrote:
> > I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
> > (But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)
> >
> > You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have
ever
> > seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end
>

> That's the most bizarre statement I've heard in quite a while.
>
> The HL2 ending *for me* was very different. Took me a bunch of tries
> just to get through it. Major battle with a couple of those fighter
> ships (whatever they're called) and then had to shoot a BUNCH of energy
> balls at the power generation plant to blow it up. GLORIOUS ENDING !
> And quite exciting.
>
> Anti-climax? Nah.

Spencer
January 19th 05, 09:38 AM
I agree that the shoot-up was very good, difficult and exciting, I was
referring to the rambling speech by g-man that comes after that (as referred
to in Lars-Eriks original post) followed by the titles.