PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card going?

stahoo
January 15th 05, 11:37 AM
Computer with XP reboots when starting all older games
except Unreal II which runs ok. Even old golf games reboot.
Word perfect, Photoshop, and all graphic programs ok.
Nothing else wrong, everything works great.
Do you think it's the graphic card?
Thought I would get a opinion here before buying new card.
Thanks

--
"Remove The X"

jo
January 15th 05, 11:53 AM
I had in the past lot's of rebooting too in games that was caused by bad
memory;only in games

If you want to check your drivers use dxdiag.exe (you have to search for it
in windows)there you can check your videocard
"stahoo" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> Computer with XP reboots when starting all older games
> except Unreal II which runs ok. Even old golf games reboot.
> Word perfect, Photoshop, and all graphic programs ok.
> Nothing else wrong, everything works great.
> Do you think it's the graphic card?
> Thought I would get a opinion here before buying new card.
> Thanks
>
> --
> "Remove The X"

DaveL
January 15th 05, 06:04 PM
You can type "dxdiag" in the run line.

DaveL

"jo" > wrote in message
>I had in the past lot's of rebooting too in games that was caused by bad
>memory;only in games
>
> If you want to check your drivers use dxdiag.exe (you have to search for
> it in windows)there you can check your videocard
> "stahoo" > schreef in bericht
> .. .
>> Computer with XP reboots when starting all older games
>> except Unreal II which runs ok. Even old golf games reboot.
>> Word perfect, Photoshop, and all graphic programs ok.
>> Nothing else wrong, everything works great.
>> Do you think it's the graphic card?
>> Thought I would get a opinion here before buying new card.
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> "Remove The X"

stahoo
January 15th 05, 08:04 PM
"DaveL" > wrote in news:pK2dncWaD_zL0HTcRVn-
:

> You can type "dxdiag" in the run line.
>
> DaveL
>

> "jo" > wrote in message
>>I had in the past lot's of rebooting too in games that was caused by bad
>>memory;only in games
>>
>> If you want to check your drivers use dxdiag.exe (you have to search for
>> it in windows)there you can check your videocard
>> "stahoo" > schreef in bericht
>> .. .
>>> Computer with XP reboots when starting all older games
>>> except Unreal II which runs ok. Even old golf games reboot.
>>> Word perfect, Photoshop, and all graphic programs ok.
>>> Nothing else wrong, everything works great.
>>> Do you think it's the graphic card?
>>> Thought I would get a opinion here before buying new card.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Remove The X"

Thanks for the replies, ran dxdiag and it reboots when using fullscreen
in direct draw or direct 3d. The small white squares run ok. Guess I will
have to check the memory. Stan

--
"Remove The X"

jo
January 15th 05, 10:20 PM
Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something else
because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else like the
powersupply because in full screen the card has to work harderin the dxdiag
test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have and when the problems
started?

"stahoo" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> "DaveL" > wrote in news:pK2dncWaD_zL0HTcRVn-
> :
>
>> You can type "dxdiag" in the run line.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "jo" > wrote in message
>>>I had in the past lot's of rebooting too in games that was caused by bad
>>>memory;only in games
>>>
>>> If you want to check your drivers use dxdiag.exe (you have to search for
>>> it in windows)there you can check your videocard
>>> "stahoo" > schreef in bericht
>>> .. .

> Thanks for the replies, ran dxdiag and it reboots when using fullscreen
> in direct draw or direct 3d. The small white squares run ok. Guess I will
> have to check the memory. Stan
>
> --
> "Remove The X"

Ryan J. Paque
January 16th 05, 07:53 AM
jo wrote:

> Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something else
> because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else like the
> powersupply because in full screen the card has to work harderin the dxdiag
> test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have and when the problems
> started?

I had the same problem... turned out to be my CPU was bad. But it
only failed under load, which of course only happened while running DX
intensive stuff.

Ryan

stahoo
January 16th 05, 11:24 AM
"Ryan J. Paque" > wrote in
:

> jo wrote:
>
>> Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something
>> else because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else
>> like the powersupply because in full screen the card has to work
>> harderin the dxdiag test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have
>> and when the problems started?
>
> I had the same problem... turned out to be my CPU was bad. But it
> only failed under load, which of course only happened while running DX
> intensive stuff.
>
> Ryan

card is nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, not a power house.
Don't know when it started, just found out when my grandson wanted to play
Half life, Unreal or Golf.
OK, let me get this right, could be the memory, graphics card, cpu, power
supply. Guess I need a new coputer.
Why does it work ok with Unreal II but no other game?
What does Unreal II don't use that the others do use and cause
the reboot.
Stan

--
"Remove The X"

jo
January 16th 05, 02:27 PM
I don't think it's the powersupply, this card is not so power hungry,what
you can try is turn off agp 8x in the bios.

I don't think you have to buy a new computer, if you have the time just
format and install a fresh windows, i think your system is messed up with
bad drivers/programs and so on.

for the rest:
if it is the memory just use one memory module at a time

check your harddisk for errors but also for surface errors(bad sectors)

disable hardware acceleration for your videocard

I know that we confuse you but these are just tricks to pinpoint the problem
memory/videocard/harddisk
to test the processor you will need a burn in program, this program can
stress out a selected component, i think rendering video is one option to
stress out your processor.

maybe someone else has tips to stress the cpu?

ok for now and let us know what you found or tryed!!

john

"stahoo" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> "Ryan J. Paque" > wrote in
> :
>

>> jo wrote:
>>
>>> Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something
>>> else because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else
>>> like the powersupply because in full screen the card has to work
>>> harderin the dxdiag test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have
>>> and when the problems started?
>>
>> I had the same problem... turned out to be my CPU was bad. But it
>> only failed under load, which of course only happened while running DX
>> intensive stuff.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
> card is nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, not a power house.
> Don't know when it started, just found out when my grandson wanted to play
> Half life, Unreal or Golf.
> OK, let me get this right, could be the memory, graphics card, cpu, power
> supply. Guess I need a new coputer.
> Why does it work ok with Unreal II but no other game?
> What does Unreal II don't use that the others do use and cause
> the reboot.
> Stan
>
> --
> "Remove The X"

Wookie
January 16th 05, 05:10 PM
Have you thought about reinstalling the latest Direct X and then the video
drivers before assuming it's HW.