PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT Anomaly

DaveL
January 12th 05, 05:54 PM
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/NVidia_6600GT/NVidia_Anomaly.htm

I saw this article. It's seems this gpu has the ability to automatically
scale back AA if the frame buffer is exceded.

DaveL

First of One
January 13th 05, 05:58 AM
Nothing new. Back in the GF3 days, when 64 MB of video RAM was the norm, the
cards would always drop from 4x AA to 2x automatically at 1600x1200.

Frame buffer required at 1600x1200x32, 8x AA, double-buffering:

1600x1200x32x8x2 = 983 Mbits or 123 MB.

Other stuff like the Z-buffer still require local memory, so 128 MB total
RAM is not enough.

ATi's driver panels actually displays the maximum resolution supported at
each AA setting. Again, nothing new.

"DaveL" > wrote in message
> http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/NVidia_6600GT/NVidia_Anomaly.htm
>
> I saw this article. It's seems this gpu has the ability to automatically
> scale back AA if the frame buffer is exceded.
>
> DaveL

Nada
January 13th 05, 12:47 PM
DaveL wrote:

> http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/NVidia_6600GT/NVidia_Anomaly.htm
>
> I saw this article. It's seems this gpu has the ability to automatically
> scale back AA if the frame buffer is exceded.
>
> DaveL

Whoah. Well, it doesn't matter in a way, but I as an end consumer would
like to have the option to choose what I can enable and disable.