PDA

View Full Version : Old Ti4200: new drivers?

Napolux
January 12th 05, 02:29 PM
I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.

Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
version) that may be better than my old ones?

Thank you

--
Napolux
http://napolux.altervista.org

Spencer
January 12th 05, 04:04 PM
All Nvidia boards use the same driver, go to the Nvidia site and select your
graphics board type and operating system and you will be taken to the
correct page for download

--
Regards
Spencer

"Napolux" > wrote in message
m...
> I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.
>
> Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
> version) that may be better than my old ones?
>

> Thank you
>
> --
> Napolux
> http://napolux.altervista.org

SleeperMan
January 12th 05, 04:22 PM
Spencer wrote:
> All Nvidia boards use the same driver, go to the Nvidia site and
> select your graphics board type and operating system and you will be
> taken to the correct page for download

But here a new question appears: is it WORTHED to install newer drivers or
not? i have GF4 MX400 card and i often wonder that...
Since - my guess - newer drivers probably refer to newer boards only, while
retaining existing functions of old ones. It's really a question what to
improve on old board...

> "Napolux" > wrote in message
> m...
>> I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.
>>
>> Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
>> version) that may be better than my old ones?
>>

>> Thank you
>>
>> --
>> Napolux
>> http://napolux.altervista.org

DaveL
January 12th 05, 05:58 PM
The answer is: it depends. Sometimes it is necessary to update to later
drivers to support a new game properly. Often the down side is lower
performance on older games.

DaveL

"SleeperMan" > wrote in message

> But here a new question appears: is it WORTHED to install newer drivers or
> not? i have GF4 MX400 card and i often wonder that...
> Since - my guess - newer drivers probably refer to newer boards only,
while
> retaining existing functions of old ones. It's really a question what to
> improve on old board...

DaveW
January 13th 05, 01:19 AM
The newer 45.23 driver is very stable with the Ti 4200 card.

--
DaveW

"Napolux" > wrote in message
m...
> I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.
>
> Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
> version) that may be better than my old ones?
>

> Thank you
>
> --
> Napolux
> http://napolux.altervista.org

Beowulf
January 13th 05, 04:16 PM
Lars-Erik ěsterud wrote:

> SleeperMan skrev:
>

>>But here a new question appears: is it WORTHED to install newer drivers or
>>not? i have GF4 MX400 card and i often wonder that...
>

> What ARE the best drivers for the Ti-4200 actually?
>
> Some say 44.03 (the one I use)
> Some say 43.45 (as he uses)
> Some say 45.23 (haven't tested those)
>
> Anyway, Source (Half-Life 2) complained about the drivers beeing to
> old with 44.03, but the newer drivers has no better DX9 support,
> right, as this is as hardware thing (says hardware DX8 and software
> DX9 in the Half-Life 2 video settings pane). Or.... ?

I ahve used these drivers at various times with a G4 ti4200 and G4
ti4800 with good success in various games, as needed to boost
performance/quality/stability. I skipped the 3x.xx and 4x.xx series
completely - too many problems in too many dx/d3d games

ti4200
53.03
56.64
56.72 -> needed to get Dues Ex working in dx/d3d without crashing
Ti4800
61.77
66.93

RJT
January 13th 05, 11:59 PM
DaveW wrote:
> The newer 45.23 driver is very stable with the Ti 4200 card.

I second that.

Reckless
January 14th 05, 12:38 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> SleeperMan skrev:
>
> > But here a new question appears: is it WORTHED to install newer drivers
or
> > not? i have GF4 MX400 card and i often wonder that...
>
> What ARE the best drivers for the Ti-4200 actually?
>
> Some say 44.03 (the one I use)
> Some say 43.45 (as he uses)
> Some say 45.23 (haven't tested those)
>
> Anyway, Source (Half-Life 2) complained about the drivers beeing to
> old with 44.03, but the newer drivers has no better DX9 support,
> right, as this is as hardware thing (says hardware DX8 and software
> DX9 in the Half-Life 2 video settings pane). Or.... ?
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

'Source' is just a typical game engine - suggest using the latest driver
with little regard on whether it'd actually make any difference! I still use
a Inno3D 4200 and I'm using 61.77. Prior to these I'd stuck with 31.40
'cause they were 100% stable and I could run all my games (up until I had to
get some later ones - hence 61.77). Again, I'm not going to upgrade these
until I attempt something that just will not work with them. There are
always going to be minor improvements/fixes in driver releases for old cards
but nothing major.

PRIVATE1964
January 14th 05, 01:41 AM
>> Some say 44.03 (the one I use)
>> Some say 43.45 (as he uses)
>> Some say 45.23 (haven't tested those)

I still use the 44.03's and have tested most of the newer versions with my
4200. I lose too much performance with the newest drivers. Unless you have a
specific game that requires the newest drivers, you should stay with the
44.03's or version close to that IMO.

>> Anyway, Source (Half-Life 2) complained about the drivers beeing to
>> old with 44.03, but the newer drivers has no better DX9 support,
>> right, as this is as hardware thing (says hardware DX8 and software
>> DX9 in the Half-Life 2 video settings pane). Or.... ?

It doesn't matter that HL2 complains about DX9 drivers. Your card can only do
8.1 so it makes no difference. As long as the drivers support 8.1 that is all
you need. I use the 44.03's with Hl2 and it runs great. I do have the stutter
problem though, by it is not related to the video drivers. I tried the latest
Nvidia drivers and it didn't make a difference so I went back to the 44.03's.
So just ignore HL2 and use the older drivers with your 4200.

BigJIm
January 14th 05, 06:35 AM
I am running the 66.93 drivers on mine with no problems, had to upgrade as
HL2
was all weird, they fixed the problems,
"Napolux" > wrote in message
m...
> I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.
>
> Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
> version) that may be better than my old ones?
>

> Thank you
>
> --
> Napolux
> http://napolux.altervista.org

Kevin Donoghoe
January 14th 05, 09:52 PM
On 12 Jan 2005 05:29:55 -0800, (Napolux) wrote:

>I've a Ti4200 with 43.45 detonator drivers.
>
>Anyone knows if exsist a newer driver from nvidia (forceware of any
>version) that may be better than my old ones?

Go to the Nvidia site and look for W2K_NVALL_41124.

I'm using it on my spare system.

= Kev =

Remove "that" to email replies

..