PDA

View Full Version : Game Loading Rebooting 6600GT

Dan Twining
January 11th 05, 12:25 AM
Hi all, i recently put together a nice new system. (ASRock K8 Combo-Z Mobo,
6600GT vid card, 1GB (2x256 Ram)) Latest version of directX, latest drivers
for everything (except maybe AGP drives, got them off mobo disk), first
thing i done to try out my new beast was install far cry, ...and bar a few
graphic glitches (that were mostly fixed by patching game, it worked fine.
While downloaded latest firewall software the computer got virus, so i
totally f-disked and started again. This time though, when i run far cry the
game causes the system to re-boot about 1/10th into loading level! So very
confused, i tried Doom 3, ....which loaded up the level fully, but as soon
as it started to go into the in-game, u could see the first frame, ..and it
would also hang, and cause the system to re-boot! I tried loaded a few doom
3 levels, and the only one that worked, loaded up and played was the first
hell level, i'm guessing that worked because theres less stuff drawn. I
tried lowing the AGP speed from 8x to 4x with no joy, and disabling and
enabling fast writes....still no joy.

So, do any of you clever people out there have any idea what might be
causing my system to get re-booted when loading up games?!?!?!, other than
this the system is nice and stable. I don't believe this to be a hardware
fault as pre-fdisk the games loaded up and played fine, ....but maybe you
guys know better.

Any advice very much appreciated,
Thanks,
Dan

anthony
January 11th 05, 06:08 PM
Overheating video card or CPU? did u reinstall windows after u added in all
the new hardware? if not do it solves ALOT of software conflicts beyond that
Iam not sure what else to try anyone else?

DaveL
January 11th 05, 06:57 PM
The OP needs to turn off reboot on error in XP to see what the error
actually is. Could be bad memory too.

DaveL

"anthony" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Overheating video card or CPU? did u reinstall windows after u added in
all
> the new hardware? if not do it solves ALOT of software conflicts beyond
that
> Iam not sure what else to try anyone else?

Dan Twining
January 11th 05, 09:00 PM
This is very strange, i have turned off reboot on error, but it still causes
system to reboot! Event viewer shows nothing. I run the memory test prog
that i got from MS, run it a few times and it showed all the memory to be
good and clean, but i havn't actuatly removed a stick yet. I've tried
removing "ULi AGP V3.0 Controller", and all the video card drivers, and
re-installing them, nothing helped. I did re-install windows with all the
hardware in place, but all i'm running at the moment is bare necessities
(cpu, memory, vid card, dvd drive). I run dxdiag and it causes the system to
re-boot when running direct3d tests! But i don't think this is just a
direct3d problem as doom 3 is openGL and that fails too. I tried lowering
AGP speeds and fast writes and all sorts of other options, but nothing has
helped yet. Its hard to tell whats failing when the system just reboots! -
who'd have thought i'd be wanting to see a BSOD.

Pleaseeeeeee help! - i'm totaly lost.

"DaveL" > wrote in message
> The OP needs to turn off reboot on error in XP to see what the error
> actually is. Could be bad memory too.
>
> DaveL
>

> "anthony" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Overheating video card or CPU? did u reinstall windows after u added in
> all
>> the new hardware? if not do it solves ALOT of software conflicts beyond
> that
>> Iam not sure what else to try anyone else?

PWY
January 11th 05, 10:04 PM
"Dan Twining" > wrote in message
> This is very strange, i have turned off reboot on error, but it still
> causes system to reboot! Event viewer shows nothing. I run the memory test
> prog that i got from MS, run it a few times and it showed all the memory
> to be good and clean, but i havn't actuatly removed a stick yet. I've
> tried removing "ULi AGP V3.0 Controller", and all the video card drivers,
> and re-installing them, nothing helped. I did re-install windows with all
> the hardware in place, but all i'm running at the moment is bare
> necessities (cpu, memory, vid card, dvd drive). I run dxdiag and it causes
> the system to re-boot when running direct3d tests! But i don't think this
> is just a direct3d problem as doom 3 is openGL and that fails too. I
> tried lowering AGP speeds and fast writes and all sorts of other options,
> but nothing has helped yet. Its hard to tell whats failing when the system
> just reboots! - who'd have thought i'd be wanting to see a BSOD.
>
> Pleaseeeeeee help! - i'm totaly lost.
>
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
>> The OP needs to turn off reboot on error in XP to see what the error
>> actually is. Could be bad memory too.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "anthony" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Overheating video card or CPU? did u reinstall windows after u added in
>> all
>>> the new hardware? if not do it solves ALOT of software conflicts beyond
>> that
>>> Iam not sure what else to try anyone else?

Sounds like it is hardware related since windows shows no error in log.

1. make sure card is seated properly.

2. all fans turning?

3.Next most likely is marginal power supply.

--
PWY

Dan Twining
January 12th 05, 08:37 AM
I put my spare ATI 9600 card in, and that worked fine!, so its definatly
something 6600 video card related. I am wondering if Anthony is right about
the card not being seated properly, that'll be the next thing to try when i
get back home later.

Thanks, Dan

"PWY" > wrote in message
om...

> "Dan Twining" > wrote in message
>> This is very strange, i have turned off reboot on error, but it still
>> causes system to reboot! Event viewer shows nothing. I run the memory
>> test prog that i got from MS, run it a few times and it showed all the
>> memory to be good and clean, but i havn't actuatly removed a stick yet.
>> I've tried removing "ULi AGP V3.0 Controller", and all the video card
>> drivers, and re-installing them, nothing helped. I did re-install windows
>> with all the hardware in place, but all i'm running at the moment is bare
>> necessities (cpu, memory, vid card, dvd drive). I run dxdiag and it
>> causes the system to re-boot when running direct3d tests! But i don't
>> think this is just a direct3d problem as doom 3 is openGL and that fails
>> too. I tried lowering AGP speeds and fast writes and all sorts of other
>> options, but nothing has helped yet. Its hard to tell whats failing when
>> the system just reboots! - who'd have thought i'd be wanting to see a
>> BSOD.
>>
>> Pleaseeeeeee help! - i'm totaly lost.
>>
>> "DaveL" > wrote in message
>>> The OP needs to turn off reboot on error in XP to see what the error
>>> actually is. Could be bad memory too.
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "anthony" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>> all
>>> that
>>>>

> Sounds like it is hardware related since windows shows no error in log.
>
> 1. make sure card is seated properly.
>
> 2. all fans turning?
>
> 3.Next most likely is marginal power supply.
>

> --
> PWY

Bob
January 12th 05, 12:54 PM
"PWY" > wrote in message
om...

> "Dan Twining" > wrote in message
>> This is very strange, i have turned off reboot on error, but it still
>> causes system to reboot! Event viewer shows nothing. I run the memory
>> test prog that i got from MS, run it a few times and it showed all the
>> memory to be good and clean, but i havn't actuatly removed a stick yet.
>> I've tried removing "ULi AGP V3.0 Controller", and all the video card
>> drivers, and re-installing them, nothing helped. I did re-install windows
>> with all the hardware in place, but all i'm running at the moment is bare
>> necessities (cpu, memory, vid card, dvd drive). I run dxdiag and it
>> causes the system to re-boot when running direct3d tests! But i don't
>> think this is just a direct3d problem as doom 3 is openGL and that fails
>> too. I tried lowering AGP speeds and fast writes and all sorts of other
>> options, but nothing has helped yet. Its hard to tell whats failing when
>> the system just reboots! - who'd have thought i'd be wanting to see a
>> BSOD.
>>
>> Pleaseeeeeee help! - i'm totaly lost.
>>
>> "DaveL" > wrote in message
>>> The OP needs to turn off reboot on error in XP to see what the error
>>> actually is. Could be bad memory too.
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "anthony" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>> all
>>> that
>>>>

> Sounds like it is hardware related since windows shows no error in log.
>
> 1. make sure card is seated properly.
>
> 2. all fans turning?
>
> 3.Next most likely is marginal power supply.

Had random reboots on one of my computers....new power supply fixed it.
Bob

anthony
January 12th 05, 04:59 PM
Yup New power supply fixes alot of problems I notice. Check to see if the
card is all the way in uninstall all video drivers and reinstall the latest
ones make sure all the memoery is properly in. One thing I did when my old
Ti-4200 kept rebootin was removing all PCI cards and the memory and put them
all back in and had no problems till I upgraded.

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "PWY" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "Dan Twining" > wrote in message
>>> This is very strange, i have turned off reboot on error, but it still
>>> causes system to reboot! Event viewer shows nothing. I run the memory
>>> test prog that i got from MS, run it a few times and it showed all the
>>> memory to be good and clean, but i havn't actuatly removed a stick yet.
>>> I've tried removing "ULi AGP V3.0 Controller", and all the video card
>>> drivers, and re-installing them, nothing helped. I did re-install
>>> windows with all the hardware in place, but all i'm running at the
>>> moment is bare necessities (cpu, memory, vid card, dvd drive). I run
>>> dxdiag and it causes the system to re-boot when running direct3d tests!
>>> But i don't think this is just a direct3d problem as doom 3 is openGL
>>> and that fails too. I tried lowering AGP speeds and fast writes and all
>>> sorts of other options, but nothing has helped yet. Its hard to tell
>>> whats failing when the system just reboots! - who'd have thought i'd be
>>> wanting to see a BSOD.
>>>
>>> Pleaseeeeeee help! - i'm totaly lost.

>> Sounds like it is hardware related since windows shows no error in log.
>>
>> 1. make sure card is seated properly.
>>
>> 2. all fans turning?
>>
>> 3.Next most likely is marginal power supply.
>
> Had random reboots on one of my computers....new power supply fixed it.
> Bob

Dan Twining
January 13th 05, 05:44 PM
card is definatly seated properly, i've got a huge new 520W PSU, so not
that. Don't have any PCI cards fitted,....and now i'm running out of
options. Gonna try the 6600 in another mobo when it finaly turns up. Any
other ideas?!?!?!

Thanks for advice so far.

news:[email protected]