PDA

View Full Version : To those who bought the Leadtek 6600GT AGP

Tim
January 7th 05, 03:23 AM
How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

Nada
January 7th 05, 11:10 AM
Tim wrote:
> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

Ask this again in about three weeks from now. :0P

John Russell
January 7th 05, 12:26 PM
"Tim" > wrote in message
> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

I bought an 6600GT AGP and I am beggining to regret it. All the reviews I
read where of the AGP version as I was looking for an AGP card. I now find
that the PCI-e versions are cheaper as they don't require the interface
chip, or need external power (and PCI-e sales are lower than expected?). The
money I would have saved could have gone towards a new PCI-e motherboard!

Freedom55
January 7th 05, 12:38 PM
Tim wrote:
> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

Got the PCIe version and have no regrets. Great card. Fits all of my
needs and with my SLI board I can drop another one in in a few months
when prices drop.

Ron

Nada
January 7th 05, 12:47 PM
John Russell wrote:

> "Tim" > wrote:
>
>>How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.
>>

> I bought an 6600GT AGP and I am beggining to regret it. All the reviews I
> read where of the AGP version as I was looking for an AGP card. I now find
> that the PCI-e versions are cheaper as they don't require the interface
> chip, or need external power (and PCI-e sales are lower than expected?). The
> money I would have saved could have gone towards a new PCI-e motherboard!

Look at it this way. The AGP is on its way out and you got yourself one
of the finest AGP cards that runs extremely well for its price. And
when you finally get yourself one of those luxury PCI-e mobos, you can
save that card for your old PC.

Robert Hancock
January 7th 05, 11:57 PM
Tim wrote:
> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

Working well for me. I have another one on the way to use in an SLI setup..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

John Russell
January 8th 05, 12:55 AM
"Nada" > wrote in message
> John Russell wrote:
>
>> "Tim" > wrote:
>>
>>>How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.
>>>

>> I bought an 6600GT AGP and I am beggining to regret it. All the reviews I
>> read where of the AGP version as I was looking for an AGP card. I now
>> find that the PCI-e versions are cheaper as they don't require the
>> interface chip, or need external power (and PCI-e sales are lower than
>> expected?). The money I would have saved could have gone towards a new
>> PCI-e motherboard!
>
> Look at it this way. The AGP is on its way out and you got yourself one
> of the finest AGP cards that runs extremely well for its price. And when
> you finally get yourself one of those luxury PCI-e mobos, you can save
> that card for your old PC.

I could look at at that way, but why should anyone else who isn't aware of
lower PCI-E price make a similer mistake?

Tim
January 8th 05, 03:36 AM
"JRS" > wrote in message
> Nope. Just put mine in tonite to replace last years FX5900. Better
> color, higher performance in HL2 , and nice card so far.

Which driver version are you using?

Robert Hancock
January 8th 05, 05:30 AM
Robert Hancock wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.
>>

> Working well for me. I have another one on the way to use in an SLI setup..

Whoops, I have the PCI Express version, you were asking about AGP. Not a
whole lot of differences though, looks like..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

January 8th 05, 08:22 AM
Only problem I have in my Dual-Boot system (98SE+XP Pro) is the most
recent 66.94 driver for Win98. The games don't run.

No problem in XP Pro with Doom3 and UT2004 although I didn't run any
benchmarks. The installed driver is 66.93.

I think the cooling fan on Leadtek 6600GT AGP is very good. The nvidia
driver interface displays 60 grade Celcius after gameplay which drops
quickly to 43-45. I had 70-75 grade Celcius with my older Leadtek
FX5600. (I have an Antec Sonata TruePower 380 which has a 120 mm rear
fan.)

Tim wrote:
> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

John Russell
January 8th 05, 06:16 PM
"JRS" > wrote in message

>>>I think the cooling fan on Leadtek 6600GT AGP is very good. The nvidia
>>>driver interface displays 60 grade Celcius after gameplay which drops
>>>quickly to 43-45. I had 70-75 grade Celcius with my older Leadtek
>>>FX5600. (I have an Antec Sonata TruePower 380 which has a 120 mm rear
>>>fan.)
>
> Yes, the fan was one of the reasons why I bought the Leadtek. Read a
> review of several 6600GT boards (Anandtech maybe?) where they mentioned
> the cards with the circular fans like the MSI, Leadtek, and several
> others cooled better and were quieter.

I think those using the standard PCI-E cooler at an angle look aweful, and
no longer cool the memory, or the HST chip. Galaxy appear to have designed
a copper cooler specifically for the AGP version which covers everything.

Reckless
January 8th 05, 07:06 PM
Whilst I agree with what you say, that's the way the PC market is. Also
remember that most PCI-E equipped motherboards would also mean you'd have to
ditch your CPU and RAM. So for the sake of single component you'd have to
replace all components :) The 6600GT is the best of the mid range cards at
present and quite possibly the last decent card for the price for the AGP
interface.

"John Russell" > wrote in message

> "Tim" > wrote in message
> > How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.
> >

> I bought an 6600GT AGP and I am beggining to regret it. All the reviews I
> read where of the AGP version as I was looking for an AGP card. I now
find
> that the PCI-e versions are cheaper as they don't require the interface
> chip, or need external power (and PCI-e sales are lower than expected?).
The
> money I would have saved could have gone towards a new PCI-e motherboard!

Black Shuck
January 9th 05, 11:30 PM
JRS got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Nope. Just put mine in tonite to replace last years FX5900. Better
> color, higher performance in HL2 , and nice card so far.

Hmm, my mate got a 6600GT from UK PCWorld for 99 recently, under 3DMark
2005, it gave 1200 score. My tweaked FX5900 gives 1300 (untweaked about
1100). So are certainly in the same ballpark, and I would have expected
very similar HL2 performance from either, have you seen different???

Quietman
January 10th 05, 04:43 AM
How do you see the temps. in the Nvidia driver? I have an OcUK 6600GT.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Only problem I have in my Dual-Boot system (98SE+XP Pro) is the most
> recent 66.94 driver for Win98. The games don't run.
>
> No problem in XP Pro with Doom3 and UT2004 although I didn't run any
> benchmarks. The installed driver is 66.93.
>
> I think the cooling fan on Leadtek 6600GT AGP is very good. The nvidia
> driver interface displays 60 grade Celcius after gameplay which drops
> quickly to 43-45. I had 70-75 grade Celcius with my older Leadtek
> FX5600. (I have an Antec Sonata TruePower 380 which has a 120 mm rear
> fan.)
>
> Tim wrote:
>> How do you like it, any buyer's remorse? I'm about to order one.

Orhan
January 10th 05, 07:31 AM
Quietman wrote:
> How do you see the temps. in the Nvidia driver? I have an OcUK
6600GT.

My driver version is non-english. But the path must be like that:
Right click desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Geforce
6600GT/Temperatur Settings.

Winfox displays same values. So I think the ones here must be also
correct.

anthony
January 15th 05, 03:19 AM
I am gonna plan starting to build a PCI express system so when it becomes
norm I wont have to worry about sky rocketing video card prices

"John Russell" > wrote in message

> "Nada" > wrote in message
>> John Russell wrote:

>>> I bought an 6600GT AGP and I am beggining to regret it. All the reviews
>>> I read where of the AGP version as I was looking for an AGP card. I now
>>> find that the PCI-e versions are cheaper as they don't require the
>>> interface chip, or need external power (and PCI-e sales are lower than
>>> expected?). The money I would have saved could have gone towards a new
>>> PCI-e motherboard!
>>
>> Look at it this way. The AGP is on its way out and you got yourself one
>> of the finest AGP cards that runs extremely well for its price. And when
>> you finally get yourself one of those luxury PCI-e mobos, you can save
>> that card for your old PC.
>>
> I could look at at that way, but why should anyone else who isn't aware of
> lower PCI-E price make a similer mistake?

Tim
January 15th 05, 11:21 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I finally received my Leadtek and I'm more than
satisfied with it. It replaces my Radeon 9100 and I have found that it
triples performance on average. The only exception is Doom III which runs
eight times faster. (What is it about Doom III that makes it runs so fast
on the GeForce 6000 series?) Anyway I definitely got my money's worth.

Here's the before n' after ...

Thief 3 (1600x1200) 9100: 7fps / 6600GT 26fps
HL2 (1600x1200 max quality, no AA or AF) 9100: 23fps / 6600GT: 71fps
Doom III Timedemo 1 (1600x1200, Ultra settings) 9100: 4fps / 6600GT: 34fps
3DMark2001SE 9100: 8708 / 6600GT: 15438

My System:
WinXP Pro
Abit NF7-S v2
Athlon XP Mobile 2600 (o/c 166x14)
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200, dual channel DDR
WD 80GB SATA HD
Plexwriter 16/10/40A CD-RW
Toshiba SM1402 DVD-ROM

Quietman
January 15th 05, 11:56 PM
"Tim" > wrote in message
> The only exception is Doom III which runs eight times faster. (What is it
> about Doom III that makes it runs so fast on the GeForce 6000 series?)

Doom 3 was made for the Geforce 6800 cards I believe.

DaveL
January 16th 05, 02:14 AM
Doom3 runs in OpenGL which is the Nvidia strong suit. ATI cards, on the
other hand, suck at OpenGL.

DaveL

"Quietman" <quietman1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

> "Tim" > wrote in message
>> The only exception is Doom III which runs eight times faster. (What is
>> it about Doom III that makes it runs so fast on the GeForce 6000 series?)
>
> Doom 3 was made for the Geforce 6800 cards I believe.

YanquiDawg
January 16th 05, 09:02 PM
It's not just the 6800 series. DOOM 3 runs better on Nvidia cards becuse the
OpenGL support in their drivers is so good. Ati put out a D3 driver soon after
the game was released.Don't know how well it works.

>> The only exception is Doom III which runs eight times faster. (What is it
>> about Doom III that makes it runs so fast on the GeForce 6000 series?)

>Doom 3 was made for the Geforce 6800 cards I believe.

First of One
January 16th 05, 11:29 PM
Not true. The FX5xxx series are just as "slow" in Doom 3 as the Radeon 9xxx.

The GF6 architecture can processor two pixels per pipeline when doing just
stencil shadows (like those in Doom 3). This is why the 6800GT/Ultra is
sometimes spec'd as a "32 x 0" card.

"YanquiDawg" > wrote in message
> It's not just the 6800 series. DOOM 3 runs better on Nvidia cards becuse
the
> OpenGL support in their drivers is so good. Ati put out a D3 driver soon
after
> the game was released.Don't know how well it works.

Nada
January 17th 05, 10:27 AM
Tim wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied. I finally received my Leadtek and I'm more than
> satisfied with it. It replaces my Radeon 9100 and I have found that it
> triples performance on average. The only exception is Doom III which runs
> eight times faster. (What is it about Doom III that makes it runs so fast
> on the GeForce 6000 series?) Anyway I definitely got my money's worth.

Something to do with Nvidia's ability to eat shadow buffers. Well,
how's the desktop image quality?

> Here's the before n' after ...
>
> Thief 3 (1600x1200) 9100: 7fps / 6600GT 26fps
> HL2 (1600x1200 max quality, no AA or AF) 9100: 23fps / 6600GT: 71fps
> Doom III Timedemo 1 (1600x1200, Ultra settings) 9100: 4fps / 6600GT: 34fps
> 3DMark2001SE 9100: 8708 / 6600GT: 15438
>
> My System:
> WinXP Pro
> Abit NF7-S v2
> Athlon XP Mobile 2600 (o/c 166x14)
> 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200, dual channel DDR
> WD 80GB SATA HD
> Plexwriter 16/10/40A CD-RW
> Toshiba SM1402 DVD-ROM

Tim
January 17th 05, 06:43 PM
"Nada" > wrote in message

> Well, how's the desktop image quality?

Very good, although I'm running it on a 19 inch CRT at 1024x768 so I'm not
really taxing it either. I heard that Leadtek uses high quality output
filters for sharper image quality at higher resolutions, haven't tested that
yet though.