PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra DVD playback observation

Lyrical Korma
November 8th 04, 09:42 AM
I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77 on
my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games work
fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77. Could
this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not providing
motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are still BETA?
Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.

LK

Chip
November 8th 04, 10:05 AM
"Lyrical Korma" > wrote in message
> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
> on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
> slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
> Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games
> work fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77.
> Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
> providing motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are
> still BETA? Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.

Can't say I have noticed a problem myself. With respect to your question
"Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
providing motion compensation?" I would say no, it couldn't. Firstly the
video processor does work - just not with HD WMV's, and secondly any
choppyness with HD WMV's is caused by the CPU usage being too high. (6800's
play HD DVD's perfectly smoothly if you can keep the CPU utlization away
from the 100% mark.) Yet with your DVD playback CPU usage is probably only
10% or less anyway.

Chip

Nicolai
November 8th 04, 11:26 AM
> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
> on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only

Upgrade your drivers . . .

Pete D
November 8th 04, 11:57 AM
LK,

You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back HDTV
wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49% utilisation on
one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.

Cheers.

Pete

"Lyrical Korma" > wrote in message
> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
> on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
> slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
> Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games
> work fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77.
> Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
> providing motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are
> still BETA? Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.
>
> LK

Chip
November 8th 04, 12:49 PM
"Pete D" > wrote in message
> LK,
>
> You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back HDTV
> wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49% utilisation on
> one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Pete

Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.

Chip

Nicolai
November 8th 04, 05:24 PM
> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
> for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.

Fixed in newest drivers . . .

Chip
November 8th 04, 05:51 PM
"Nicolai" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
>> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
>> for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.
>
> Fixed in newest drivers . . .

Yes, I know.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
decoding is working when it isn't.

Chip

tq96
November 8th 04, 06:08 PM
> You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back
> HDTV wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49%
> utilisation on one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.

With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
really means "99% utilization".

Nicolai
November 8th 04, 06:22 PM
> With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
> really means "99% utilization".

For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2

Pete D
November 8th 04, 07:54 PM
"Chip" > wrote in message

> "Pete D" > wrote in message
>> LK,
>>
>> You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back
>> HDTV wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49%
>> utilisation on one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Pete
>
> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
> for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.
>
> Chip

Agree, but if his machine cannot play clips then he has a problem doesn't
he.

Pete D
November 8th 04, 07:55 PM
"Chip" > wrote in message

> "Nicolai" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
>>> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly
>>> normal for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It
>>> isn't.
>>
>> Fixed in newest drivers . . .
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
> decoding is working when it isn't.
>
> Chip

No thats not what I said, he should still be able to play wmv clips alright
with a P4 and a 6800Ultra without the decoder working.

Chip
November 8th 04, 08:55 PM
"Pete D" > wrote in message

> "Chip" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nicolai" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> Fixed in newest drivers . . .
>>
>> Yes, I know.
>>
>> But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
>> decoding is working when it isn't.
>>
>> Chip
>

> No thats not what I said, he should still be able to play wmv clips
> alright with a P4 and a 6800Ultra without the decoder working.

My apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that the
decoder is working in your box. Sorry.

Chip

RaceFace
November 9th 04, 01:46 AM
"Nicolai" > wrote in message
. ..
>> With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
>> really means "99% utilization".
>
> For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2

Yes, and Media Player is single threaded. So your statement is irrelevant.

Nicolai
November 9th 04, 07:23 AM
>>> With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
>>> really means "99% utilization".
>>
>> For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2
>
> Yes, and Media Player is single threaded. So your statement is irrelevant.

Just stating that HT is not useless - welcome to the discussion btw . . .

tq96
November 9th 04, 05:11 PM
> Just stating that HT is not useless - welcome to the discussion btw .

You're right, HT is great. I used to have a multip-CPU setup and miss it.
HT adds a level of "multitasking goodness", allows multiple programs to run
faster and gives a good boost to multi-threaded programs.

I was just pointing out that it's easy to miss-read the CPU graph when
trying to ascertain how much a single-threaded program is taxing your
system. People see "49%" and think "Gee that CPU usage is low", when in
reality, the single-threaded application is using the CPU as much as it
possibly can.

Lyrical Korma
November 12th 04, 11:30 PM
"Nicolai" > wrote in message
. ..
>> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
>> on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
>
> Upgrade your drivers . . .

What I was trying to explain was that I *did* upgrade the drivers and found
they didn't work 100% properly for DVD playback. So I went back to 61.77,
the current official nvidia driver, which does (on my system). The DVD
decoding software is up to date (Power DVD).

Also, one other thing I didn't mention is that WMP will not play DVDs at all
well using this decoder with drivers later than 61.77 - it stutters like
hell. Power DVD itself is much better but not smooth. But everything works
fine with 61.77 - strange.

LK.

Lyrical Korma
November 12th 04, 11:37 PM
"Lyrical Korma" > wrote in message
> "Nicolai" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than
>>> 61.77 on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy,
>>> only
>>
>> Upgrade your drivers . . .

So I went back to 61.77, the current official nvidia driver, ....

I notice 66.93 is up now, need to catch up , d'oh - about to test