PDA

View Full Version : GF4 ti 4200 - overclocking potential

Falcon Freak
November 7th 04, 08:49 AM
Hello,

I have a Leadtek Winfast A250 LE TD (64Meg memory). Is there anyway to
overclock this card? If so where can I get info which details the do's and
don'ts for overclocking cards?

Thanks in adavance to all who respond.

FF

PRIVATE1964
November 7th 04, 10:26 AM

>Hello,
>
>I have a Leadtek Winfast A250 LE TD (64Meg memory). Is there anyway to
>overclock this card? If so where can I get info which details the do's and
>don'ts for overclocking cards?
>
>Thanks in adavance to all who respond.
>
>FF

You can overclock every 4200, the real question is by how much because every
card is different.

You first need to have coolbits installed which you can get here;

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-31.shtml

After you installed coolbits there will now be a clock frequency tab in your
video card display controls.

I would also download and install 3Dmark2001.

Some 4200's have different memory speeds it depends on the model so I can't
give you a starting default speed for the memory on your video card. If you
look under the clock frequency tab it will give you the default speeds of the
memory and core for your video card. The core is probably running at 250 and
the memory probably close to 500.

Once you have the starting points the whole idea is to raise the speed of the
memory and the core as high as you can, but still have the video card run
stable. The faster you run the core and the memory the hotter they will both
get. If video card does not have good cooling you won't be able to overclock it
very high. Overclocking it will probably also shorten its life span, but by
that time you will have upgraded anyway.

I work on the core first, then the memory second. You might get better results
working with the memory first, but it won't be by much. If you do the memory
first though the core effects the memory more then the other way around. If you
raised the core as high as you could go, then raised the memory that won't
effect what you did with the core.

So you start raising the speed of the core around 10 points every time. Then
you test the card with 3DMark2001. If the core gets too high it will show when
you run 3DMark2001. You only need to run the first car chase test for now. If
the core is set too high your video card will cause your computer to lock up or
you will see graphical glitches in the test. So keep raising the number until
you see a problem with the test. The minute you see a problem lower the number
by 10 and that should be it for the core.

Now you do the same thing with the memory, but I only use the spinning horse
test (point sprites) in 3Dmark200. The memory is set too high the minuet you
see small flashing specks or boxes anywhere on the screen while you run the
test. Lower it by 10 and that will be your overclocked memory speed.

The reason you lower both by 10 is for those days that might be hot, or you are
giving your video card a good workout and so you don't over stress the card too
much.

After I get the memory and core set up for overclocking I usually loop the
first four tests in 3DMark 2001 overnight. If I wake up and it is still running
then the card is running pretty stable. If you play a game and it locks up it
might mean the core is still set a little bit too high. In that case I would
lower the core back down to default and test the game. If it still locks up its
not the overclock, if it doesn't then I would lower the core overclock a little
bit more like maybe 5 points.

Falcon Freak
November 7th 04, 11:42 AM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message

> [...]
>
> The reason you lower both by 10 is for those days that might be hot, or
> you are
> giving your video card a good workout and so you don't over stress the
> card too
> much.
>
> After I get the memory and core set up for overclocking I usually loop the
> first four tests in 3DMark 2001 overnight. If I wake up and it is still
> running
> then the card is running pretty stable. If you play a game and it locks up
> it
> might mean the core is still set a little bit too high. In that case I
> would
> lower the core back down to default and test the game. If it still locks
> up its
> not the overclock, if it doesn't then I would lower the core overclock a

Wow - fantastic response! Give me some time to play around with the above
info you supplied.

Many thanks!

PRIVATE1964
November 7th 04, 12:31 PM
>Wow - fantastic response! Give me some time to play around with the above
>info you supplied.
>
>Many thanks!

Your welcome.

My 4200 runs stable at 325 core / 650 memory. It is an Albatron turbo which
didn't follow the usual specs for the 4200 so the memory on it runs at a faster
default of 550 for memory instead of 500. I'm not sure what the default memory
speed is for your card I think it is slightly over 500.
The core of the 4200 is usually limited to around 330 max unless you have some
unreal cooling setup. Memory is tough to call. It depends on the speed of the
chips, the brand and the cooling.

Good Luck!

Vinicio Ascone
November 10th 04, 04:41 PM
I was thinking about overclock my 4200 also, so this tread was really cool!
:)

But I'm afraid the heat can damage my card, how do you control the heat? I
mean, if I obtain a stable card (core/memory), may I assume it's everything
ok?

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Wow - fantastic response! Give me some time to play around with the above
> >info you supplied.
> >
> >Many thanks!
>
> Your welcome.
>
> My 4200 runs stable at 325 core / 650 memory. It is an Albatron turbo
which
> didn't follow the usual specs for the 4200 so the memory on it runs at a
faster
> default of 550 for memory instead of 500. I'm not sure what the default
memory
> speed is for your card I think it is slightly over 500.
> The core of the 4200 is usually limited to around 330 max unless you have
some
> unreal cooling setup. Memory is tough to call. It depends on the speed of
the
> chips, the brand and the cooling.
>
> Good Luck!

PRIVATE1964
November 10th 04, 08:02 PM
>I was thinking about overclock my 4200 also, so this tread was really cool!
>:)
>
>But I'm afraid the heat can damage my card, how do you control the heat? I
>mean, if I obtain a stable card (core/memory), may I assume it's everything
>ok?

Yes, If the card is running stable then that also means the card is being
cooled well enough. That does not mean the card will be cooled enough though on
future hot summer days, or when the filters on your case start to get clogged
with dust...etc. So once you find the highest settings that you start to see
problems at then I would lower the settings by 10 so you have some tolerance
for future events such as very hot days.

If you set up the overclocking on a very hot day then the card might only need
5 points lower on the core and memory.

Then you test it out with some actual games. If you notice lock ups then test
it out but lowering the core down to default. If the lock ups are still there
then its not from the overclock. If you detect artifacts, flashing
pixels...same thing test it out. Sooner or later your gonna find the highest
values that give you no problems. If you follow what I posted already by using
3DMark2001 point sprites test for memory and the car chase for the core, you
shouldn't see any problems in any games. The minute I see the smallest defect
running the point sprites test I know the memory is set too high. I also use
the UT2003 Demo which also seems to detect the memory and core as being set too
high pretty well. If you use 3DMark2001 and UT2003 Demo combined to test with
you should not have any trouble in any other games.

TJM
November 11th 04, 11:29 AM
Great guide!

My Asus ti4200 went from:

260/446 (core/mem) -> 310/590 (core/mem).
8613 3DMark2001 -> 9818 3DMark2001

/TJM

> [...]
>
> The reason you lower both by 10 is for those days that might be hot, or
> you are
> giving your video card a good workout and so you don't over stress the
> card too
> much.
>
> After I get the memory and core set up for overclocking I usually loop the
> first four tests in 3DMark 2001 overnight. If I wake up and it is still
> running
> then the card is running pretty stable. If you play a game and it locks up
> it
> might mean the core is still set a little bit too high. In that case I
> would
> lower the core back down to default and test the game. If it still locks
> up its
> not the overclock, if it doesn't then I would lower the core overclock a

Vinicio Ascone
November 11th 04, 10:58 PM
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answer!

I will try it this week end! :) talk you later!

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >I was thinking about overclock my 4200 also, so this tread was really
cool!
> >:)
> >
> >But I'm afraid the heat can damage my card, how do you control the heat?
> >mean, if I obtain a stable card (core/memory), may I assume it's
everything
> >ok?
>
> Yes, If the card is running stable then that also means the card is being
> cooled well enough. That does not mean the card will be cooled enough
though on
> future hot summer days, or when the filters on your case start to get
clogged
> with dust...etc. So once you find the highest settings that you start to
see
> problems at then I would lower the settings by 10 so you have some
tolerance
> for future events such as very hot days.
>
> If you set up the overclocking on a very hot day then the card might only
need
> 5 points lower on the core and memory.
>
> Then you test it out with some actual games. If you notice lock ups then
test
> it out but lowering the core down to default. If the lock ups are still
there
> then its not from the overclock. If you detect artifacts, flashing
> pixels...same thing test it out. Sooner or later your gonna find the
highest
> values that give you no problems. If you follow what I posted already by
using
> 3DMark2001 point sprites test for memory and the car chase for the core,
you
> shouldn't see any problems in any games. The minute I see the smallest
defect
> running the point sprites test I know the memory is set too high. I also
use
> the UT2003 Demo which also seems to detect the memory and core as being
set too
> high pretty well. If you use 3DMark2001 and UT2003 Demo combined to test
with
> you should not have any trouble in any other games.

PRIVATE1964
November 12th 04, 12:05 AM

>Great guide!
>
>My Asus ti4200 went from:
>
>260/446 (core/mem) -> 310/590 (core/mem).
>8613 3DMark2001 -> 9818 3DMark2001

That's a good improvement, but I'm wondering why your default memory speed is
so low though. I don't think there were any 4200's with a default memory lower
then 500. The overclock you have is reasonable. You might be able to get both
the core and memory higher with better cooling, but it wouldn't be worth the
time and expense IMO.

PRIVATE1964
November 12th 04, 12:07 AM
>Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answer!
>
>I will try it this week end! :) talk you later!

Your welcome, let me know how you make out.

Falcon Freak
November 12th 04, 11:08 AM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message

>>Great guide!
>>
>>My Asus ti4200 went from:
>>
>>260/446 (core/mem) -> 310/590 (core/mem).
>>8613 3DMark2001 -> 9818 3DMark2001
>
> That's a good improvement, but I'm wondering why your default memory speed
> is
> so low though. I don't think there were any 4200's with a default memory
> lower
> then 500. The overclock you have is reasonable. You might be able to get
> both
> the core and memory higher with better cooling, but it wouldn't be worth
> the
> time and expense IMO.

Mate, you should be charging for your services. I have not seen more
detailed information than what you are supplying!

FF

PRIVATE1964
November 12th 04, 03:12 PM
>Mate, you should be charging for your services. I have not seen more
>detailed information than what you are supplying!

The satisfaction of helping others push hardware to its limits is my payment.

Vinicio Ascone
November 12th 04, 06:25 PM
Ok, I made some tests yesterday.

My defaults are 250/513 (at least it's what's NVIDIA said at the overclock
tab).
At 290/545 my card began to show a very few (and in rare times) bright
points (using 3dMark2003).

So I leave the card in 280/535 and works fine, but sucks! :) I mean, all you
guys put so much big numbers, I fell terrible! :)

But I will try again tonight.

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answer!
> >
> >I will try it this week end! :) talk you later!
>
> Your welcome, let me know how you make out.

Jethro[AGHL]
November 12th 04, 06:51 PM
Vinicio Ascone wrote:
> Ok, I made some tests yesterday.
>
> My defaults are 250/513 (at least it's what's NVIDIA said at the overclock
> tab).
> At 290/545 my card began to show a very few (and in rare times) bright
> points (using 3dMark2003).
>
> So I leave the card in 280/535 and works fine, but sucks! :) I mean, all you
> guys put so much big numbers, I fell terrible! :)

I had forgotten what mine was and checked last night. I have my Asus
GF4-Ti4200 8x at 300/560. Never seen any graphic issues. :-\

I do have a new HSF on it that also came with RAMsinks so maybe I got
some better cooling.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

PRIVATE1964
November 13th 04, 02:00 AM
>My defaults are 250/513 (at least it's what's NVIDIA said at the overclock
>tab).

That sounds right for your card. You have the Asus right? I believe the Asus
card you have overclocks the memory a little bit because of the confidence they
have in the cooling on the card.

>At 290/545 my card began to show a very few (and in rare times) bright
>points (using 3dMark2003).

A lot will depend also on the cooling in your case. If the inside of your case
is not being cooled well enough, then that is all your video card has to work
with to cool the memory and the GPU. It doesn't matter how good of a heatsink
and fan you have on the graphic card if your giving it warm air to begin with.

Drivers will also effect how much your card will overclock. Try using the
44.03's. I have noticed a big loss in performance using newer drivers with my
4200. Unless you have a specific game bug that only the newer drivers will fix,
your better off using older drivers with the 4200 IMO. I play a lot of games
and have never had any problems with the 44.03's such as BF1942, RTCW, HL,
Falcon4, IL2 FB etc.

You might also want to use 3Dmark2001 to test with. I don't know what your
seeing in 3DMark2003 that you consider to be a problem. It might not even be an
overclock problem. If you test with 3DMark2001 then I know what to look for as
actual problems. A 4200 does not run 3Dmark2003 very well and you could just be
seeing the cards limits..
I have found the point sprites in 3DMark 2001 works best for memory errors
(look for tiny flashing blocks or pixels), and the car chase test for the
core(lock ups, large cut lines, large polygons out of place).
Then follow this by the first four tests in 3Dmark2001 looped overnight.