PDA

View Full Version : Superior ATI cooling.

tq96
November 6th 04, 05:17 PM
Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two on
the left):
http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x800xt/2.jpg

It shows why the reference ATI cooler is better than the reference NVidia
cooler. The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI design
might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

Vigil
November 6th 04, 07:17 PM
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:17:51 +0000, tq96 wrote:

> The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
> slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI
> design might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

Maybe it needs to spin faster.

--

..

Pete D
November 6th 04, 08:03 PM
And anyone would give a **** because????????

"tq96" > wrote in message
> Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two on
> the left):
> http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x800xt/2.jpg
>
> It shows why the reference ATI cooler is better than the reference NVidia
> cooler. The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
> slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI
> design
> might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

JTS
November 7th 04, 04:15 AM
Because we love the inner workings of computers.

"Pete D" > wrote in message
> And anyone would give a **** because????????
>
> "tq96" > wrote in message
>> Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two on
>> the left):
>> http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x800xt/2.jpg
>>
>> It shows why the reference ATI cooler is better than the reference NVidia
>> cooler. The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
>> slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI
>> design
>> might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

Pete D
November 7th 04, 06:32 AM
No we don't!

"JTS" > wrote in message
> Because we love the inner workings of computers.
>
> "Pete D" > wrote in message
>> And anyone would give a **** because????????
>>
>> "tq96" > wrote in message
>>> Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two
>>> on
>>> the left):
>>> http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x800xt/2.jpg
>>>
>>> It shows why the reference ATI cooler is better than the reference
>>> NVidia
>>> cooler. The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
>>> slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI
>>> design
>>> might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

tq96
November 7th 04, 08:23 AM
> And anyone would give a **** because????????

Because NVidia's reference cooler blows donkey dick. The engineers should
get off their asses and make a good design like ATI that isn't so ****ing
loud. Otherwise consumers who don't like their computers to violate noise
ordinances have to look at third party cooling systems that invalidate the
card's warranty just to get a card that runs at a decent noise level.

Pete D
November 7th 04, 08:42 AM
Luckily mine is not like the reference and is ever so quiet.

"tq96" > wrote in message
>> And anyone would give a **** because????????
>
> Because NVidia's reference cooler blows donkey dick. The engineers should
> get off their asses and make a good design like ATI that isn't so ****ing
> loud. Otherwise consumers who don't like their computers to violate noise
> ordinances have to look at third party cooling systems that invalidate the
> card's warranty just to get a card that runs at a decent noise level.

Chip
November 7th 04, 03:55 PM
"tq96" > wrote in message
> Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two on
> the left):

Inferior poster intellect.

Lachoneus
November 8th 04, 06:37 PM
> Because NVidia's reference cooler blows donkey dick. The engineers should
> get off their asses and make a good design like ATI that isn't so ****ing
> loud. Otherwise consumers who don't like their computers to violate noise
> ordinances have to look at third party cooling systems that invalidate the
> card's warranty just to get a card that runs at a decent noise level.

The NV Silencer line from Arctic Cooling is quite good, both in terms
of noise level and performance... but yeah, it shouldn't be necessary
in the first place.

It blows my mind how NVIDIA managed to screw up the NV30's "FlowFX" so
bad, when the Silencer is much the same design yet somehow is not
audible in other ZIP codes, unlike NVIDIA's offering. Big-name card
builders ought to use Silencers standard--I'd pay the extra few bucks
for one.

First of One
November 9th 04, 05:02 AM
Keep in mind ATi actually sells its own cards, so the lion's share of
X800XTs use the stock cooler. On the nVidia side, it's easy enough to
purchase a card from, say, LeadTek and not have this problem. Blame it on
the board manufacturers for being lazy and using a stock design...

It's possible to overclock the 6800GT significantly using the stock cooler.
Not so with the X800XT...

"tq96" > wrote in message
> Take a look at this photo of an ATI X800XT & Geforce 6800GT (first two on
> the left):
> http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x800xt/2.jpg
>
> It shows why the reference ATI cooler is better than the reference NVidia
> cooler. The fan is much bigger on the ATI design allowing it to spin
> slower for the same amount of airflow as the NVidia design. The ATI
design
> might even be acceptable for most quiet PC enthusiasts.

Chip
November 9th 04, 11:24 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> Keep in mind ATi actually sells its own cards, so the lion's share of
> X800XTs use the stock cooler. On the nVidia side, it's easy enough to
> purchase a card from, say, LeadTek and not have this problem. Blame it on
> the board manufacturers for being lazy and using a stock design...
>
> It's possible to overclock the 6800GT significantly using the stock
> cooler.
> Not so with the X800XT...

On the other hand, the 6800GT isn't running at 500MHz stock speed, is it!

Chip