PDA

View Full Version : Can AGP handle it...?

Evert Meulie
November 5th 04, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the amount
of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT PE & the
6800Ultra?

Or will these cards only function at full through-put in their
PCI-express versions?

Regards,
Evert Meulie

Andrew
November 5th 04, 10:18 AM
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:07:23 +0100, Evert Meulie >
wrote:

>Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the amount
>of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT PE & the
>6800Ultra?

AGP 4X does just as well, as Public Enemy said, don't believe the
hype. The only advantage of PCI express is potential SLI applications.

Geoff
November 5th 04, 10:22 AM
Evert Meulie wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the
> amount of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT
> PE & the 6800Ultra?
>
> Or will these cards only function at full through-put in their
> PCI-express versions?
>

> Regards,
> Evert Meulie

i don't think you would notice much difference if you had an x800 or 6800 on
agp x2, never mind x8 or pci express
you are a vitctim of hype, go toms hardware webby and read up about pci
express and video cards
i certainly am not saying don't buy pci express, just don't kill yourself it
get pci express over agp

J. Clarke
November 5th 04, 11:17 AM
Andrew wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:07:23 +0100, Evert Meulie >
> wrote:
>
>>Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the amount
>>of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT PE & the
>>6800Ultra?
>
> AGP 4X does just as well, as Public Enemy said, don't believe the
> hype. The only advantage of PCI express is potential SLI applications.

And then only if your motherboard supports it. Now it seems to be coming
out that the first generation SLI-capable motherboards will be running one
of the video boards on an x8 slot with an x16 connector rather than an x16
slot (so much for standards). Can you say "gross overkill"? Can you say
"transparent marketing ploy"?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Conor
November 5th 04, 11:40 AM
In article >, Evert Meulie says...
> Hi everyone!
>
> Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the amount
> of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT PE & the
> 6800Ultra?

Even AGP 4x and probably AGP2x isn't close to data saturation yet.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Spajky
November 5th 04, 12:13 PM
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:18:03 +0000, Andrew <[email protected]>
wrote:

> The only advantage of PCI express is potential SLI applications.

the second one is since the data transfer is simetric (w/ Agp is
asymetric) same speed from system to Video card & viceversa; the video
capturing, real time editing video & sending data back to the card &
certain other cards devices (IMHO special very expensive stuff) may
wastely benefit of that ... but IMHO that features would be used no
more than 1% of cases ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

J. Clarke
November 5th 04, 03:06 PM
Spajky wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:18:03 +0000, Andrew <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> The only advantage of PCI express is potential SLI applications.
>
> the second one is since the data transfer is simetric (w/ Agp is
> asymetric) same speed from system to Video card & viceversa; the video
> capturing, real time editing video & sending data back to the card &
> certain other cards devices (IMHO special very expensive stuff) may
> wastely benefit of that ... but IMHO that features would be used no
> more than 1% of cases ...

No realtime video editing software needs PCI Express. The HD datastream is
transmitted on a 6 MHz channel--ordinary PCI can handle over a hundred of
those simultaneously. If you decompress it the bandwidth requirement gets
a lot higher but there the disk is going to be the bottleneck, not the
video bus, and until there are decent PCI Express RAID controllers you're
going to need PCI-X slots for that anyway, so PCI Express becomes moot for
the time being.

The one place it might make a real difference with video is with an
application that uses the rendering hardware on the video board as a
coprocessor to accelerate rendering of 3d images. I understand that there
is at least one such, but it's not mainstream stuff and the price is such
that PCI-X would be no burden.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Just Askin'
November 5th 04, 09:42 PM
"Evert Meulie" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> Just wondering about the following: Can an AGP 8x slot handle the amount
> of traffic generated by the top graphics cards like the X800XT PE & the
> 6800Ultra?
>
> Or will these cards only function at full through-put in their PCI-express
> versions?

It's the same situation as back in the late nineties, CPU speed was the
marketing headline that kept everyone upgrading.

The marketing gurus neglected to tell you that a faster hard disk and more
memory is a much better upgrade for the average user.

NEVER BUY THE FIRST GENERATION OF ANYTHING. LET ALL THE OTHER SUCKERS BE
EARLY ADOPTERS.

Ed Light
November 5th 04, 11:40 PM
"Just Askin'" > wrote
> NEVER BUY THE FIRST GENERATION OF ANYTHING. LET ALL THE OTHER SUCKERS BE
> EARLY ADOPTERS.

Heh - so true. But -- MUST BUY AGP 6600GT WITH VIVO!!!
I hope it works ok. I hope they really fixed the video processor.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Conor
November 6th 04, 01:44 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Ed Light says...
>=20
> "Just Askin'" > wrote
> > NEVER BUY THE FIRST GENERATION OF ANYTHING. LET ALL THE OTHER SUCKERS B=
E=20
> > EARLY ADOPTERS.
>=20
> Heh - so true. But -- MUST BUY AGP 6600GT WITH VIVO!!!

Is that the card that a =A3120 Radeon 9800 Pro beats?

--=20
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Ed Light
November 6th 04, 02:15 AM
"Conor" > wrote

>> Heh - so true. But -- MUST BUY AGP 6600GT WITH VIVO!!!

>Is that the card that a 120 Radeon 9800 Pro beats?

It beats the x700.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light
November 6th 04, 03:09 AM
"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Conor" > wrote
>
>>> Heh - so true. But -- MUST BUY AGP 6600GT WITH VIVO!!!
>
>>Is that the card that a 120 Radeon 9800 Pro beats?
>
> It beats the x700.

And is pretty equal to the x700xt

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Spajky
November 6th 04, 12:18 PM
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:42:08 -0000, "Just Askin'" > wrote:

>It's the same situation as back in the late nineties, CPU speed was the
>marketing headline that kept everyone upgrading.
>
>The marketing gurus neglected to tell you that a faster hard disk and more
>memory is a much better upgrade for the average user.
>
>NEVER BUY THE FIRST GENERATION OF ANYTHING. LET ALL THE OTHER SUCKERS BE
>EARLY ADOPTERS.

IMHO nut just that ! :-) I have to add:
Buy the 2nd generation of a pre-last generation video card ... after
all tecno-maniacs & hardcore gamers sell it a year later ...
(so you get for cheap 2nd hand 2y old card that practically
satisfies all your true needs for performance - for just a quarter of
its original price & not much of real life performance impact
[benchmarking "freaks" will not agree with this]) ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Thomas
November 8th 04, 05:02 AM
"Conor" > wrote in message
. ..
In article <[email protected]>, Ed Light says...

> "Just Askin'" > wrote
> > NEVER BUY THE FIRST GENERATION OF ANYTHING. LET ALL THE OTHER SUCKERS BE
> > EARLY ADOPTERS.
>
> Heh - so true. But -- MUST BUY AGP 6600GT WITH VIVO!!!

Is that the card that a 120 Radeon 9800 Pro beats?

No.

Tom