PDA

View Full Version : No color to TV

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 2nd 04, 09:03 AM
All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
the card. Any ideas?

Thanks : -)

Falcon Freak
November 2nd 04, 09:59 AM
"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]

> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> the card. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks : -)

It's because you spelled colour wrong.

FF

John Saunders
November 2nd 04, 10:26 AM
Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
another wire.

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]

> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> the card. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks : -)

Chip
November 2nd 04, 10:54 AM
"John Saunders" > wrote in message
> Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
> S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
> another wire.

True. Another possibility is that your TV is expecting a composite video
signal, but you are sending s-video. This is a common problem in the EU
where TV's have SCART sockets that support multiple signal types and the TV
needs to be "told" what sort of signal you are using.

Chip

> "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>>
>> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
>> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
>> the card. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks : -)

J. Clarke
November 2nd 04, 04:13 PM
formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:

> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> the card. Any ideas?

In addition to what's been suggested, try turning off the TV and the
computer, making sure the cable is tight, turning the TV back on, and tne
the computer. If the drivers load with a loose cable sometimes they get
confused about what they're talking to, with the result that you see.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke
November 2nd 04, 05:32 PM
J. Clarke wrote:

> formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>

>> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
>> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
>> the card. Any ideas?
>
> In addition to what's been suggested, try turning off the TV and the
> computer, making sure the cable is tight, turning the TV back on, and tne

That should have been "and then"

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hippy Paul
November 3rd 04, 12:42 AM
"John Saunders" > wrote in message
> Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
> S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
> another wire.
>

> "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>>
>> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
>> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
>> the card. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks : -)

Have you got your NTSC or PAL output set up correctly on the computer?

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:19 AM
"Falcon Freak" > wrote in message
:
: "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
wrote
: in message news:[email protected]
: >
: > All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: > the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: > the card. Any ideas?
: >
: > Thanks : -)
: >
: >
:
: It's because you spelled colour wrong.
:
: FF

Thanks. Coloure

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:20 AM
"John Saunders" > wrote in message
: Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
: S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
: another wire.
:
:
: "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
wrote
: in message news:[email protected]
: >
: > All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: > the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: > the card. Any ideas?
: >
: > Thanks : -)
: >
: >
:
:

It boots in color and goes to the Windows screen in color
and then changes to B&W, while loading drivers, I think.

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:22 AM
"Chip" > wrote in message
:
: "John Saunders" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
: > S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
: > another wire.
: >
:
: True. Another possibility is that your TV is expecting a composite video
: signal, but you are sending s-video. This is a common problem in the EU
: where TV's have SCART sockets that support multiple signal types and the
TV
: needs to be "told" what sort of signal you are using.
:
: Chip
:
: >
: > "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
: > wrote in message news:[email protected]
: >>
: >> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: >> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: >> the card. Any ideas?
: >>
: >> Thanks : -)

It was working fine until I changed monitors and loaded a
new version of the drivers. And it boots in color and then
changes to B&W. I'm hoping it's a setting and I don't have
to go back to older drivers, but that's my next step, if they
are available.

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:23 AM
"Hippy Paul" > wrote in message
:
: "John Saunders" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Maybe your cable connection is loose at either end.
: > S-Video sends mono+sync on one wire with colour on
: > another wire.
: >
: >
: > "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
: > wrote in message news:[email protected]
: >>
: >> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: >> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: >> the card. Any ideas?
: >>
: >> Thanks : -)
:
: Have you got your NTSC or PAL output set up correctly on the computer?

I've read about that but can't find a PAL/NTSC setting. I've got NTSC
and I don't that Nvidia ships PAL compliant to US. I'll keep looking.

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:24 AM
"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
: formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
:
: >
: > All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: > the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: > the card. Any ideas?
:
: In addition to what's been suggested, try turning off the TV and the
: computer, making sure the cable is tight, turning the TV back on, and tne
: the computer. If the drivers load with a loose cable sometimes they get
: confused about what they're talking to, with the result that you see.
: >
: > Thanks : -)
:
: --
: --John
: Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
: (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Does it matter that the boot sequence is in color
and then changes? That makes me think there is
a driver problem. I don't have a composite out,
I think, only S-Video. If I'm wrong about that I'll
be embarrassed. It's a 5200.

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:25 AM
"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
: J. Clarke wrote:
:
[...]

I'll try that but the color startup screen that changes to
B&W makes me wonder if it will work.

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
November 3rd 04, 02:36 AM
"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]
:
: All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
: the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
: the card. Any ideas?
:
: Thanks : -)

I booted from the other/spare dual boot XP
and the color is back. This is getting interesting.
Now if I can get the driver from one system to the
other.

The other thing is that I disconnected the second
NEC monitor before I accidentally booted to
the other XP. The second monitor installed with
two generic drivers and no NEC driver even
though it is identical to the first monitor.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep posting in case this
might help others. Thanks again.

frank
November 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
I also have this problem. Was kinda left to use the RCA type video
in/output. I never got to have my s-video output in color. I have an Asus
FX5200VS. All my setting were set properly when trying it out but never got
color. As to loose wires, how many times have a tried different jacks but
always with the same result. Like I said, I gave up. But I would sure be
grateful for some suggestions too.
Frank

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]

> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> the card. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks : -)

aka 717
November 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]ed1read04...

> "Falcon Freak" > wrote in message
> :
> : "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote
> : in message news:[email protected]
> : >
> : > All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> : > the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> : > the card. Any ideas?
> : >
> : > Thanks : -)
> : >
> : >
> :
> : It's because you spelled colour wrong.
> :
> : FF
>
> Thanks. Coloure

Myster solved, sort of. A previous driver made the
color reappear. Now using 5.6.7.2 with two NECs
and a TV. You may not think you helped, but being
able to think things through and feel like maybe I'd
be helping someone else in the future helped a lot.
: -)

CapFusion
November 3rd 04, 06:04 PM
From what you just describe, sound like you have driver corruption or there
too many driver.
Try to goto SafeMode and uninstall any nVidia or relate driver. Go back to
normal Windows and reinstall nVidia driver.

CapFusion,...

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:[email protected]

> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> : J. Clarke wrote:
> :
> : > formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
> : >
> : >>
> : >> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> : >> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> : >> the card. Any ideas?
> : >
> : > In addition to what's been suggested, try turning off the TV and the
> : > computer, making sure the cable is tight, turning the TV back on, and
> tne
> :
> : That should have been "and then"
> :
> : > the computer. If the drivers load with a loose cable sometimes they
> get
> : > confused about what they're talking to, with the result that you see.
> : >>
> : >> Thanks : -)
> : >
> :
> : --
> : --John
> : Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> : (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>

> I'll try that but the color startup screen that changes to
> B&W makes me wonder if it will work.

CapFusion
November 3rd 04, 06:06 PM
I believed your case is about the same as OP. Try uninstall any nVidia
driver from SafeMode and reinstall in normal Windows.
I assumed you try to install multiple time.

CapFusion,...

"frank" > wrote in message
. ..
>I also have this problem. Was kinda left to use the RCA type video
> in/output. I never got to have my s-video output in color. I have an Asus
> FX5200VS. All my setting were set properly when trying it out but never
> got
> color. As to loose wires, how many times have a tried different jacks but
> always with the same result. Like I said, I gave up. But I would sure be
> grateful for some suggestions too.
> Frank
>

> "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote
> in message news:[email protected]
>>
>> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
>> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
>> the card. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks : -)

frank
November 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
yeah, I'd be rich if I were to put 1$ in a bottle for every time I installed
the drivers.(Sort of speaking). Had this video card since a year ago, and
since then, I've re-installed windows completely so many times for various
reasons and everytime a new nvidia driver came out, I installed it. Also
tried the factory drivers from the CD and the windows generic drivers but
with no luck. That's why I gave up since, but it's a bummer to know I have a
higher quality plug I can't use.

"CapFusion" > wrote in message
> I believed your case is about the same as OP. Try uninstall any nVidia
> driver from SafeMode and reinstall in normal Windows.
> I assumed you try to install multiple time.
>
> CapFusion,...
>

> "frank" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I also have this problem. Was kinda left to use the RCA type video
> > in/output. I never got to have my s-video output in color. I have an
Asus
> > FX5200VS. All my setting were set properly when trying it out but never
> > got
> > color. As to loose wires, how many times have a tried different jacks
but
> > always with the same result. Like I said, I gave up. But I would sure be
> > grateful for some suggestions too.
> > Frank
> >

> > "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> > wrote
> > in message news:[email protected]
> >>
> >> All of a sudden I'm getting black and white out of
> >> the S-video output. At least I think it's coming from
> >> the card. Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks : -)

aka 717
November 3rd 04, 10:34 PM
"frank" > wrote in message
> yeah, I'd be rich if I were to put 1$ in a bottle for every time I
> installed
> the drivers.(Sort of speaking). Had this video card since a year ago, and
> since then, I've re-installed windows completely so many times for various
> reasons and everytime a new nvidia driver came out, I installed it. Also
> tried the factory drivers from the CD and the windows generic drivers but
> with no luck. That's why I gave up since, but it's a bummer to know I have
> higher quality plug I can't use.
>

> "CapFusion" > wrote in message
>> I believed your case is about the same as OP. Try uninstall any nVidia
>> driver from SafeMode and reinstall in normal Windows.
>> I assumed you try to install multiple time.
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>>

>> "frank" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >I also have this problem. Was kinda left to use the RCA type video
>> > in/output. I never got to have my s-video output in color. I have an
> Asus
>> > FX5200VS. All my setting were set properly when trying it out but never
>> > got
>> > color. As to loose wires, how many times have a tried different jacks
> but
>> > always with the same result. Like I said, I gave up. But I would sure
>> > be
>> > grateful for some suggestions too.
>> > Frank
>> >

>> > "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
>> > wrote
>> > in message news:[email protected]

Sorry for the confusion. I'm the OP, just writing
from a different account. Going back to older driver
fixed my problem

Do you guys have a composite out on you GForce 5200
cards? I have two standard monitor and one S-video.
Actuall one of the standard is for newer monitors and
requires an adapter to connect to monitor.

CapFusion
November 4th 04, 01:01 AM
"aka 717" > wrote in message
news:X9cid.64074$%[email protected]

> "frank" > wrote in message
>> yeah, I'd be rich if I were to put 1$ in a bottle for every time I
>> installed
>> the drivers.(Sort of speaking). Had this video card since a year ago, and
>> since then, I've re-installed windows completely so many times for
>> various
>> reasons and everytime a new nvidia driver came out, I installed it. Also
>> tried the factory drivers from the CD and the windows generic drivers but
>> with no luck. That's why I gave up since, but it's a bummer to know I
>> have a
>> higher quality plug I can't use.
>>

>> "CapFusion" > wrote in message
>>> I believed your case is about the same as OP. Try uninstall any nVidia
>>> driver from SafeMode and reinstall in normal Windows.
>>> I assumed you try to install multiple time.
>>>
>>> CapFusion,...
>>>

>>> "frank" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>> Asus
>> but

> Sorry for the confusion. I'm the OP, just writing
> from a different account. Going back to older driver
> fixed my problem
>
> Do you guys have a composite out on you GForce 5200
> cards? I have two standard monitor and one S-video.
> Actuall one of the standard is for newer monitors and
> requires an adapter to connect to monitor.

Your FX5200 with S-Video [4pins] should have a S-Video > Composite cable.
Can you clearify - **standard is for newer monitors and requires an adapter
to connect to monitor**
Do you mean your new monitor [TV] have a "Component Video" type of
connection?
If you have S-Video, for simplicity, use S-Video directly from your card to
your TV.

CapFusion,...

aka 717
November 5th 04, 05:56 AM
"CapFusion" > wrote in message

> "aka 717" > wrote in message
> news:X9cid.64074$%[email protected]
>>
>> "frank" > wrote in message
>>> yeah, I'd be rich if I were to put 1$ in a bottle for every time I
>>> installed
>>> the drivers.(Sort of speaking). Had this video card since a year ago,
>>> and
>>> since then, I've re-installed windows completely so many times for
>>> various
>>> reasons and everytime a new nvidia driver came out, I installed it. Also
>>> tried the factory drivers from the CD and the windows generic drivers
>>> but
>>> with no luck. That's why I gave up since, but it's a bummer to know I
>>> have a
>>> higher quality plug I can't use.

>>> Asus
>>> but

>> Sorry for the confusion. I'm the OP, just writing
>> from a different account. Going back to older driver
>> fixed my problem
>>
>> Do you guys have a composite out on you GForce 5200
>> cards? I have two standard monitor and one S-video.
>> Actuall one of the standard is for newer monitors and
>> requires an adapter to connect to monitor.
>>

> Your FX5200 with S-Video [4pins] should have a S-Video > Composite cable.
> Can you clearify - **standard is for newer monitors and requires an
> adapter to connect to monitor**
> Do you mean your new monitor [TV] have a "Component Video" type of
> connection?
> If you have S-Video, for simplicity, use S-Video directly from your card
> to your TV.
>
> CapFusion,...

I did not get a cable afaik to convert S-video to composite. There are
two outputs for monitors. One is for the older monitors and the other
is for the flat screens, I guess and has a different connector. Not too
sure.

CapFusion
November 5th 04, 04:52 PM
"aka 717" > wrote in message
news:YJDid.68156$%[email protected]

> "CapFusion" > wrote in message
>>
>> "aka 717" > wrote in message
>> news:X9cid.64074$%[email protected]

>>> Sorry for the confusion. I'm the OP, just writing
>>> from a different account. Going back to older driver
>>> fixed my problem
>>>
>>> Do you guys have a composite out on you GForce 5200
>>> cards? I have two standard monitor and one S-video.
>>> Actuall one of the standard is for newer monitors and
>>> requires an adapter to connect to monitor.
>>>

>> Your FX5200 with S-Video [4pins] should have a S-Video > Composite cable.
>> Can you clearify - **standard is for newer monitors and requires an
>> adapter to connect to monitor**
>> Do you mean your new monitor [TV] have a "Component Video" type of
>> connection?
>> If you have S-Video, for simplicity, use S-Video directly from your card
>> to your TV.
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>
> I did not get a cable afaik to convert S-video to composite. There are
> two outputs for monitors. One is for the older monitors and the other
> is for the flat screens, I guess and has a different connector. Not too
> sure.

You have two TV output port - 4pins + composite? If this is the case, then
the connection is straight / directly to TV.

CapFusion,...