PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP error 10 and Nvidia

Docrotcod
November 2nd 04, 07:28 AM
Boy I sure hope someone here can help. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2
and using a FX5700, VIA chipset MB. I am getting an error 10 in the device
manager. I KNOW it is not hardware related as I can install a FRESH copy of
XP and the problem goes away. However, I would rather just fix the problem.
I have the latest drivers, latest XP updates, tried the driver cleaner,
reinstall the drivers, bios updates, adjust agp apeture settings, etc. I
really would like to get this resolved as it affects even just web browsing.

Thomas

Friendly Guru
November 2nd 04, 08:22 AM
"Docrotcod" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Boy I sure hope someone here can help. I am running Windows XP Pro
SP2
> and using a FX5700, VIA chipset MB. I am getting an error 10 in the
device
> manager. I KNOW it is not hardware related as I can install a FRESH copy
of
> XP and the problem goes away. However, I would rather just fix the
problem.
> I have the latest drivers, latest XP updates, tried the driver cleaner,
> reinstall the drivers, bios updates, adjust agp apeture settings, etc. I
> really would like to get this resolved as it affects even just web
browsing.

> Thomas

But which version of the Hyperion Drivers (nee 4-in-1) are you running on
that unnamed VIA chipped system board?

In order:
Update and configure BIOS
Install OS Bare
Install Chipset Drivers
Install Device Drivers
Service Patch OS
Install DirectX

Try all that and see if Error 10 goes away.

Docrotcod
November 2nd 04, 08:33 AM
Sorry, it is a MSI KM2M motherboard. I will try your suggestions in that
order. Thank you!

Thomas

"Friendly Guru" > wrote in message

> "Docrotcod" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Boy I sure hope someone here can help. I am running Windows XP Pro
> SP2
>> and using a FX5700, VIA chipset MB. I am getting an error 10 in the
> device
>> manager. I KNOW it is not hardware related as I can install a FRESH copy
> of
>> XP and the problem goes away. However, I would rather just fix the
> problem.
>> I have the latest drivers, latest XP updates, tried the driver cleaner,
>> reinstall the drivers, bios updates, adjust agp apeture settings, etc. I
>> really would like to get this resolved as it affects even just web
> browsing.
>>
>> Thomas
>

> But which version of the Hyperion Drivers (nee 4-in-1) are you running on
> that unnamed VIA chipped system board?
>
> In order:
> Update and configure BIOS
> Install OS Bare
> Install Chipset Drivers
> Install Device Drivers
> Service Patch OS
> Install DirectX
>
> Try all that and see if Error 10 goes away.

Roy Mottola
November 2nd 04, 12:59 PM
I have a small glitch too, with an FX5200 card which is software related. It
only occurred after installing SP2 and it went away after uninstalling SP2 I
was thinking that it may have something to do with unsigned drivers. Nvidia
is no help at all, but Microsoft is in the process of helping me find the
problem.
"Docrotcod" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Boy I sure hope someone here can help. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2
> and using a FX5700, VIA chipset MB. I am getting an error 10 in the
> device manager. I KNOW it is not hardware related as I can install a
> FRESH copy of XP and the problem goes away. However, I would rather just
> fix the problem. I have the latest drivers, latest XP updates, tried the
> driver cleaner, reinstall the drivers, bios updates, adjust agp apeture
> settings, etc. I really would like to get this resolved as it affects even
> just web browsing.
>
> Thomas

CapFusion
November 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
Install SP2, XP firewall auto set to enable as default and can prevent some
tool / apps etc from starting.
Try to disable firewall. Look in Control panel for "Firewall". Unsign nVidia
driver should not be a problem.

CapFusion,...

"Roy Mottola" > wrote in message
t...
>I have a small glitch too, with an FX5200 card which is software related.
>It only occurred after installing SP2 and it went away after uninstalling
>SP2 I was thinking that it may have something to do with unsigned drivers.
>Nvidia is no help at all, but Microsoft is in the process of helping me
>find the problem.
> "Docrotcod" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Boy I sure hope someone here can help. I am running Windows XP Pro
>> SP2 and using a FX5700, VIA chipset MB. I am getting an error 10 in the
>> device manager. I KNOW it is not hardware related as I can install a
>> FRESH copy of XP and the problem goes away. However, I would rather just
>> fix the problem. I have the latest drivers, latest XP updates, tried the
>> driver cleaner, reinstall the drivers, bios updates, adjust agp apeture
>> settings, etc. I really would like to get this resolved as it affects
>> even just web browsing.
>>
>> Thomas

Friendly Guru
November 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
"Docrotcod" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sorry, it is a MSI KM2M motherboard. I will try your suggestions in that
> order. Thank you!
>
> Thomas

Ah hah! The mystery board is a micro-atx with onboard video and other
olden-tymes stuff.

You might have to live with unenumerated devices, which will show errors,
but actually work.