PDA

View Full Version : Overclockers UK are rip off merchants

Dancing stag
November 1st 04, 04:13 PM
I bought an MSI K7N2 motherboard from Overclockers UK as a replacement
for my existing damaged board.
After installing the board, et al, my machine still would not boot,
calling an error in the RAM, and beeping like buggery.
I bought a new RAM stick from someone other than OcUK, because they
were cheaper. This seemed to work fine after installation, but now the
motherboard called an error with the CPU, and still wouldn't even get
as far as the BIOS.
I bought a new CPU from a computer fair as I was now becoming
impatient in getting my system back up and running.
The new CPU didn't work.
I had the original RAM and CPU checked, and the new RAM and CPU
checked. All are fine.
The new motherboard OcUK sent me is faulty however.
And has caused me not only delay in the repair of my system, but also
unnecessary expenditure on other hardware.
I'm not a happy bunny.
They came highly recommended, but on my first purchase have managed to
seriously disappoint and inconvenience.

There is no reply to the e.mails I sent. Their customer service seems
permanently engaged.
When I did get through they refused to send a prepaid returns parcel,
expecting me to pay for the return of their faulty hardware.
Having spent 170 on needlessly replacing perfectly functioning CPU
and RAM they refused any kind of compensation.
Even if it had been bought from them.
Even in form of vouchers for their own store.

DO NOT shop at overclockers UK. They're crap!

Richard Warren
November 1st 04, 07:53 PM
I have purchased from Overclockers UK for very many years, both here in the
UK and from South Africa.

I have found them extremely competent and helpful.

Even when I also had a problem once with an Asus Motherboard/CPU/Asus V9950
Ultra problem.
Emailed them regarding the problem, receiving an answer the next day.
After I had tried all they suggested, I phoned them, obtained a return
authorisation number immediately.
I re-parcelled the goods and returned it to them (at my expense) by post.
The day after the goods were posted, I received the goods back with all
problems resolved.

Now that is service.

Try this with many other suppliers and see the response you get.

Your problem I suggest is that you did not take up the issue with
Overclockers, until you had spent the additional funds unnecessarily (your
own decision).

You cannot blame Overclockers for your decision to purchase other equipment.

You cannot blame Overclockers that they would not refund you expenses for
the unnecessary equipment you purchased - the suppliers you bought from
would be the ones to reimburse you when you return them.

You cannot blame Overclockers for a problematic motherboard - you need to
blame the manufacturer for this.

I think, once you have cooled down, you should see the problem is not all
theirs and that they will certainly do their utmost to respond to your
motherboard problem.

All the very best.

"Dancing stag" > wrote in message
om...
>I bought an MSI K7N2 motherboard from Overclockers UK as a replacement
> for my existing damaged board.
> After installing the board, et al, my machine still would not boot,
> calling an error in the RAM, and beeping like buggery.
> I bought a new RAM stick from someone other than OcUK, because they
> were cheaper. This seemed to work fine after installation, but now the
> motherboard called an error with the CPU, and still wouldn't even get
> as far as the BIOS.
> I bought a new CPU from a computer fair as I was now becoming
> impatient in getting my system back up and running.
> The new CPU didn't work.
> I had the original RAM and CPU checked, and the new RAM and CPU
> checked. All are fine.
> The new motherboard OcUK sent me is faulty however.
> And has caused me not only delay in the repair of my system, but also
> unnecessary expenditure on other hardware.
> I'm not a happy bunny.
> They came highly recommended, but on my first purchase have managed to
> seriously disappoint and inconvenience.
>
> There is no reply to the e.mails I sent. Their customer service seems
> permanently engaged.
> When I did get through they refused to send a prepaid returns parcel,
> expecting me to pay for the return of their faulty hardware.
> Having spent 170 on needlessly replacing perfectly functioning CPU
> and RAM they refused any kind of compensation.
> Even if it had been bought from them.
> Even in form of vouchers for their own store.
>
> DO NOT shop at overclockers UK. They're crap!

MarkJ
November 1st 04, 08:49 PM
Used them for about 5/6 years now, they are generally good however since
increasing in size their customer services can leave a bit to be desired. A
friend of mine also has a horror story from them

regards

Keith Archer
November 2nd 04, 09:22 AM
They are a good bunch - no problems I've experienced.

But then again, they are there to service the needs of the Overclocking
Community, and I suspect that if you abuse a product by overclocking it,
then whose responsibility does it become?

I suspect that since your orignal board became "damaged" that you somehow
managed to bugger up your RAM and CPU in the process, and then fitting these
damaged parts to a new board probably damaged that too.

Nobody but yourself to blame.