PDA

View Full Version : agp aperture setting

Fuzzy
October 30th 04, 04:26 PM
I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get to
the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left corner. The
Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow choppy graphics.
After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now found that the
aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the culprit in both games. I
reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a misprint in the manual? I seem
to remember the same recommendation on the evga sites bios recommendations.
Any others with this problem? Thanks.

Ed Light
October 30th 04, 10:46 PM
Pretty commonly it's recommended to set the aperture to half the system
memory size, or equal to the video card memory.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Spajky
October 31st 04, 12:37 AM
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:26:59 GMT, "Fuzzy" > wrote:

>I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get to
>the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left corner. The
>Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow choppy graphics.
>After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now found that the
>aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the culprit in both games. I
>reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a misprint in the manual? I seem
>to remember the same recommendation on the evga sites bios recommendations.
>Any others with this problem? Thanks.

AGP aperture setting doesn´t matter much if is set min. !!!! to 32Mb &
if the videocard has its own memory (not MoBo integrated & w/o it).
Time ago I experienced same problem passing from w95B to W98se, since
before worked perfectly (was Agp1x only hardware accelerated in Win95B
that time on my machine & had setting of only 16Mb; I experienced same
crashes until I set it to 32Mb; looks that nVidia drivers require this
setting as minimal!)
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Tod
October 31st 04, 04:27 AM
Aperture setting should not be set any smaller then 32MBs.

"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
>I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get to
>the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left corner. The
>Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow choppy graphics.
>After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now found that the
>aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the culprit in both games.
>I reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a misprint in the manual? I
>seem to remember the same recommendation on the evga sites bios
>recommendations. Any others with this problem? Thanks.

First of One
November 2nd 04, 05:17 AM
Word amongst most BIOS guides is that setting AGP aperture to less than 32
MB automatically disables AGP functions altogether.

"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
> I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get
> the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left corner.
The
> Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow choppy graphics.
> After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now found that the
> aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the culprit in both games.
> reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a misprint in the manual? I
seem
> to remember the same recommendation on the evga sites bios
recommendations.
> Any others with this problem? Thanks.

mhicaoidh
November 5th 04, 10:42 PM
Taking a moment's reflection, Fuzzy mused:

| I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get
| to the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left
| corner. The Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow
| choppy graphics. After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now
| found that the aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the
| culprit in both games. I reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a
| misprint in the manual? I seem to remember the same recommendation on the
| evga sites bios recommendations. Any others with this problem? Thanks.

Setting it that low essentially turned off your AGP bus functionality.
That's why you were getting crashes. So, likely, that was a misprint you
originally read. Common suggestions are to set AGP Aperture to 64 or 128
.... doesn't ultimately matter which. The more VRAM your video card has, the
less the aperture comes into play. The advice of "1/2 your system RAM, or
equal to your video RAM" that is commonly seen is erroneous.

Ed Light
November 5th 04, 11:32 PM
"mhicaoidh" > wrote
> The advice of "1/2 your system RAM, or
> equal to your video RAM" that is commonly seen is erroneous.

Interesting. How so?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Fuzzy
November 6th 04, 11:50 PM
"mhicaoidh" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...
> Taking a moment's reflection, Fuzzy mused:
> |
> | I was having a problem with Doom 3 and also The Sims 2. Doom 3 would get
> | to the main screen and the mouse would be frozen in the upper left
> | corner. The Sims 2 had numerous random crashes, rebootings and slow
> | choppy graphics. After numerous bios related troubleshooting I have now
> | found that the aperture setting of 4mb recommended by evga was the
> | culprit in both games. I reset it to 64mb and all is now well. Is it a
> | misprint in the manual? I seem to remember the same recommendation on
> the
> | evga sites bios recommendations. Any others with this problem? Thanks.
>
> Setting it that low essentially turned off your AGP bus functionality.
> That's why you were getting crashes. So, likely, that was a misprint you
> originally read. Common suggestions are to set AGP Aperture to 64 or 128
> ... doesn't ultimately matter which. The more VRAM your video card has,
> the
> less the aperture comes into play. The advice of "1/2 your system RAM, or
> equal to your video RAM" that is commonly seen is erroneous.

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I e-mailed evga tech support, and
just got their reply. It seems that the 4MB setting is for
"troubleshooting"! I'm not a guru, and when the manual and the website state
the recommended bios settings to use for the card, they should state what
makes the freakin card actually work!! I don't know what problem they are
talking about troubleshooting by effectively disabling the AGP bus
functionality, but I guess I won't worry about that. Again, thanks.