PDA

View Full Version : Good LCD monitor for gaming?

husker3in4
October 29th 04, 10:50 PM
I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. I've read in the past they arent as good for
gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need to be looking for is what I'm asking.

Thanks :)

Inglo
October 29th 04, 10:57 PM
On 10/29/2004 2:50 PM husker3in4 brightened our day with:

>I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. I've read in the past they arent as good for
>gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
>looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
>Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need to be looking for is what I'm asking.
>
>Thanks :)

I just bought this one, good price great gaming monitor. Has DVI and
includes a DVI cable.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-006-052&depa=1

--
Steve ¤ģIngloĢ¤
www.inglostadt.com

October 30th 04, 12:38 AM
husker3in4 > wrote:

>I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. I've read in the past they arent as good for
>gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
>looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
>Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need to be looking for is what I'm asking.
>
>Thanks :)

If your main interest is gaming, the number you should be looking at
is the response time, i.e. the time it takes for the screen to
refresh. With 25ms you will likely notice ghosting on fast motion in
your games. Go for at least 16ms, or the newer 12ms.

Jim

husker3in4
October 30th 04, 04:52 AM
Ah, thanks for the info Jim. Thats stuff I need to know! What about the brightness and contrast ratios? is lower or higher
better?

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:38:22 -0400, * wrote:

>husker3in4 > wrote:
>
>>I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. I've read in the past they arent as good for
>>gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
>>looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
>>Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need to be looking for is what I'm asking.
>>
>>Thanks :)
>
>If your main interest is gaming, the number you should be looking at
>is the response time, i.e. the time it takes for the screen to
>refresh. With 25ms you will likely notice ghosting on fast motion in
>your games. Go for at least 16ms, or the newer 12ms.
>
>Jim

Ed Light
October 30th 04, 08:17 AM
I notice most lcd's go dimmer if you look straight at them and you have to
look down at them a bit, but a few are ok from any reasonable vertical
angle. Do they have a different type of lcd that you can find in the specs,
so you know if you're getting one off the net?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

JTS
October 30th 04, 11:28 PM
husker3in4 wrote:
> Ah, thanks for the info Jim. Thats stuff I need to know! What about the brightness and contrast ratios? is lower or higher
> better?
>
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:38:22 -0400, * wrote:
>

>>husker3in4 > wrote:
>>

>>>I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. I've read in the past they arent as good for
>>>gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
>>>looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
>>>Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need to be looking for is what I'm asking.
>>>
>>>Thanks :)
>>
>>If your main interest is gaming, the number you should be looking at
>>is the response time, i.e. the time it takes for the screen to
>>refresh. With 25ms you will likely notice ghosting on fast motion in
>>your games. Go for at least 16ms, or the newer 12ms.
>>
>>Jim

I know some who have bee raving about this monitor. I'm thinking about it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-063&depa=1

Ed Light
October 31st 04, 12:08 AM
Getting really techy:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

First of One
November 2nd 04, 04:32 AM
Keep in mind LCDs look great in their native resolution, but often the
lower, interpolated resolutions leave much to be desired. A 19" LCD will
probably have a high native resolution (1600x1200). Be prepared to do all
your gaming at that res. Hope you have a 6800GT or better...

As for the brightness and contrast ratios, the higher the better, though
both can be fudged significantly by mfr's testing.

"husker3in4" > wrote in message
> I'm considering upgrading from my 17" flatscreen CRT to a 19" LCD monitor.
I've read in the past they arent as good for
> gaming because the colors arent as deep. Has this been improved? Will I
notice much difference if I make the change? Also, in
> looking at different LCD monitors, the only things I see change from one
to the other are the Brightness ratios and the
> Contrast ratios. Which is a better number, higher or lower? What do I need
to be looking for is what I'm asking.

> Thanks :)

November 2nd 04, 05:40 PM
"First of One" > wrote:

> A 19" LCD will
>probably have a high native resolution (1600x1200).

You would be hard pressed to find a 19" LCD with a native res. of
1600x1200. I don't know of any. 1280x1024 is the standard for this
size.

Jim

husker3in4
November 4th 04, 04:48 AM
1280x1024 is where I do my gaming now, and now Im using a 17" CRT. So on a 19" that would be fine. And yes I have a 6800GT
clocked to 372/1.04

I know to look for lcd monitors with the lowest response time, i think that is currently 12ms right? Will that put me at any
kind of significant disadvantage vs people with CRT in online play? Will I even notice it?