PDA

View Full Version : can I use DVI-I to output to TV? for 6800 card

ns
October 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Hi, I got the dell dimention 8400 machine with nvidia 6800 GTO card,
but there's no video-out port (S-video). I wonder why (my 3 years old
geforce II has it), but anyway, can I use one of the two DVI-I port to
output signal to TV (which takes S-video)? any adaptor will do it? I
mean it's real pity that the card doesn't include a S-video out.

thanks

CapFusion
October 29th 04, 07:22 PM
"ns" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi, I got the dell dimention 8400 machine with nvidia 6800 GTO card,
> but there's no video-out port (S-video). I wonder why (my 3 years old
> geforce II has it), but anyway, can I use one of the two DVI-I port to
> output signal to TV (which takes S-video)? any adaptor will do it? I
> mean it's real pity that the card doesn't include a S-video out.
>
> thanks

According to DELL spec. for Dimension 6800 -
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&~page=3&~tab=specstab#tabtop
Video card - ATI and nVidia
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&~id=gfx_cards_trans&~line=desktops&~mode=popup&~model=8400&~series=dimen
No TV out for nVidia card.

If what I see is correct, you cannot have TVout.
How many ports on the bracket of the 6800GTO?
Does it have the following :
1 - DVI + DVI only
2 - DVI + DVI + 9pins

If option 1 then you have no option. Buf it option is 2, you will need a
dongle or cable convertor.
DVI can not be use to convert to TV

CapFusion,...

J. Clarke
November 2nd 04, 12:25 AM
CapFusion wrote:

> "ns" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Hi, I got the dell dimention 8400 machine with nvidia 6800 GTO card,
>> but there's no video-out port (S-video). I wonder why (my 3 years old
>> geforce II has it), but anyway, can I use one of the two DVI-I port to
>> output signal to TV (which takes S-video)? any adaptor will do it? I
>> mean it's real pity that the card doesn't include a S-video out.
>>
>> thanks
>
> According to DELL spec. for Dimension 6800 -

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&~page=3&~tab=specstab#tabtop
> Video card - ATI and nVidia

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&~id=gfx_cards_trans&~line=desktops&~mode=popup&~model=8400&~series=dimen
> No TV out for nVidia card.
>
> If what I see is correct, you cannot have TVout.
> How many ports on the bracket of the 6800GTO?
> Does it have the following :
> 1 - DVI + DVI only
> 2 - DVI + DVI + 9pins
>
> If option 1 then you have no option. Buf it option is 2, you will need a
> dongle or cable convertor.
> DVI can not be use to convert to TV

If "option 1" then you use the DVI-I to VGA adapter that should have come
with the board and then treat what comes out of that as standard VGA, which
it is.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

First of One
November 2nd 04, 04:44 AM
Remember, if Dells saves $1 for every machine it sells by not including
TV-out...

You will need a DVI-VGA adapter (cheap), which must then be piped to a
VGA-SVideo converter box (expensive, ~$150).

The cheapest solution is probably to get an old PCI video card with TV-out
(ATi 3D Rage, Matrox Millenium) and run a multi-card setup.

"ns" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi, I got the dell dimention 8400 machine with nvidia 6800 GTO card,
> but there's no video-out port (S-video). I wonder why (my 3 years old
> geforce II has it), but anyway, can I use one of the two DVI-I port to
> output signal to TV (which takes S-video)? any adaptor will do it? I
> mean it's real pity that the card doesn't include a S-video out.
>
> thanks

ns
November 5th 04, 08:16 PM
multi-card setup? how does that work, i would like to do it if I can.
I do have GeForce2 that has video-out, but it uses AGP and my new
machine only got PCI-express... i have no idea, any pointer?
thanks

I also wonder if there's adaptor that can conver DVI signal to TV
signal? well...

"First of One" > wrote in message >...
> Remember, if Dells saves $1 for every machine it sells by not including
> TV-out...
>
> You will need a DVI-VGA adapter (cheap), which must then be piped to a
> VGA-SVideo converter box (expensive, ~$150).
>
> The cheapest solution is probably to get an old PCI video card with TV-out
> (ATi 3D Rage, Matrox Millenium) and run a multi-card setup.

> "ns" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi, I got the dell dimention 8400 machine with nvidia 6800 GTO card,
> > but there's no video-out port (S-video). I wonder why (my 3 years old
> > geforce II has it), but anyway, can I use one of the two DVI-I port to
> > output signal to TV (which takes S-video)? any adaptor will do it? I
> > mean it's real pity that the card doesn't include a S-video out.
> >
> > thanks

CapFusion
November 5th 04, 10:11 PM
"ns" > wrote in message
om...
> multi-card setup? how does that work, i would like to do it if I can.
> I do have GeForce2 that has video-out, but it uses AGP and my new
> machine only got PCI-express... i have no idea, any pointer?
> thanks
>
> I also wonder if there's adaptor that can conver DVI signal to TV
> signal? well...

AGP / PCI-E -
If your MoBo have PCI-E, you will need PCI-E video card.
DVI / TV -
I do not see a economic way of DVI > TV beside expensive convertor.

CapFusion,...