PDA

View Full Version : Genlockable twin composite output?

Richard Cavell
October 19th 04, 03:44 PM
Hi all,

I want a computer to take the following input:

- A composite signal that the computer will genlock itself to

And produce the following output:

- A composite signal in PAL format that is genlocked to the input
- A second composite signal in PAL format that is genlocked to the
input, and synchronous with the first output.

What's the cheapest way I can do this? Obsolete hardware and
less-than-perfect options are what I need.

The reason why I need this is to drive a vision switcher that takes a
signal into its key bus, as well as an alpha signal. I want to play a
grayscale animation which represents the alpha component, synchronised
to the key signal, and it all has to be genlocked to the black
generator. Now, playing the two animations simultaneously is a bit of a
problem, but it's a software problem. I'm trying to avoid having to
spend many thousands of dollars on a DigiSuite or equivalent, when it
seems that consumer-level hardware can produce an S-video output that
does most of what I want!

Matt
October 19th 04, 06:22 PM
Is the input also PAL or will it be NTSC or some other format?

..
"Richard Cavell" > wrote in message
om.au...
> Hi all,
>
> I want a computer to take the following input:
>
> - A composite signal that the computer will genlock itself to
>
> And produce the following output:
>
> - A composite signal in PAL format that is genlocked to the input
> - A second composite signal in PAL format that is genlocked to the input,
> and synchronous with the first output.
>
> What's the cheapest way I can do this? Obsolete hardware and
> less-than-perfect options are what I need.
>
> The reason why I need this is to drive a vision switcher that takes a
> signal into its key bus, as well as an alpha signal. I want to play a
> grayscale animation which represents the alpha component, synchronised to
> the key signal, and it all has to be genlocked to the black generator.
> Now, playing the two animations simultaneously is a bit of a problem, but
> it's a software problem. I'm trying to avoid having to spend many
> thousands of dollars on a DigiSuite or equivalent, when it seems that
> consumer-level hardware can produce an S-video output that does most of
> what I want!

Richard Cavell
October 19th 04, 06:32 PM
On 20/10/04 3:22 AM, Matt wrote:

> Is the input also PAL or will it be NTSC or some other format?

The input is from a PAL black generator. I'm not proposing any kind of
scan converter.

Matt
October 20th 04, 01:13 PM
"Richard Cavell" > wrote in message
om.au...
> On 20/10/04 3:22 AM, Matt wrote:
>
>> Is the input also PAL or will it be NTSC or some other format?
>
> The input is from a PAL black generator. I'm not proposing any kind of
> scan converter.

sorry... I guess I misread... I'm not aware of a consumer card that could
do this but there are bound to be some older NLE edit suites (or at least
their capture cards) on ebay or somewhere that could handle this quite
easily. I got a Pinnacle ReelTime card on ebay a couple of months ago that
will almost do this (though this was an NTSC) for around $250. The only
difference is that this card only has one composite out, but it also has
svhs, component and SDI out...