PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and Falcon 4 problem

G. Patricks
October 13th 04, 07:14 PM
Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..

Every other sim, racing, flight, or FPS works fine...

I've put the question out on all the F4 Forums, figured I would try
here.

Thanks for any input!
G Patricks

PRIVATE1964
October 13th 04, 07:48 PM
>Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
>versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
>(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
>cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
>freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
>unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
>about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
>It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
>65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..

I would try shutting off the antialiasing and anisiotropic filtering if you
haven't already. If you can run with different versions of Falcon fine then I
would say the problem is specific to the patched versions you are having
trouble with. I would bring that up to the programmers maybe they would know
what is different between the versions that would be causing your problems.

I also use Falcon. Have you tried messing with the settings in the config
editor?

What about slimming down what your using with Falcon?

G. Patricks
October 13th 04, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Private..

I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...

G P.

>On 13 Oct 2004 18:48:03 GMT, (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>>Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
>>versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
>>(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
>>cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
>>freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
>>unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
>>about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
>>It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
>>65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..
>
>I would try shutting off the antialiasing and anisiotropic filtering if you
>haven't already. If you can run with different versions of Falcon fine then I
>would say the problem is specific to the patched versions you are having
>trouble with. I would bring that up to the programmers maybe they would know
>what is different between the versions that would be causing your problems.
>
>I also use Falcon. Have you tried messing with the settings in the config
>editor?
>
>What about slimming down what your using with Falcon?

CapFusion
October 13th 04, 10:25 PM
Just out of curiousity. Since you have not mention anything else but the
card and the game Falcon and SP.
Do you have Audigy soundcard? If so, try to disable EAX and see if making
any differences.

CapFusion,...

<G. Patricks> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Private..
>
> I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
> eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
> Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
> hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>
> G P.
>
>>On 13 Oct 2004 18:48:03 GMT, (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>>>Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
>>>versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
>>>(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
>>>cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
>>>freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
>>>unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
>>>about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
>>>It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
>>>65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..
>>
>>I would try shutting off the antialiasing and anisiotropic filtering if
>>you
>>haven't already. If you can run with different versions of Falcon fine
>>then I
>>would say the problem is specific to the patched versions you are having
>>trouble with. I would bring that up to the programmers maybe they would
>>know
>>what is different between the versions that would be causing your
>>problems.
>>
>>I also use Falcon. Have you tried messing with the settings in the config
>>editor?
>>
>>What about slimming down what your using with Falcon?

G. Patricks
October 13th 04, 11:13 PM
Sorry I didn't include my specs earlier...

I'm not looking at sound as the in-game sounds continue on normally
when the screen is frozen. Of course stranger things have happened, so
i'll take a peek at my DirectX properties, maybe drop Sound Accel down
a notch..

Here is my system.
Antec 1080 AMG - 430 Watt True Power, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe,
PIV-3.0GZ-800mz, 1024 Crucial PC 3200 - DX 9.0c, SP2, and all latest
XP updates and mobo drivers
NVidia 6800 GT 256 MB - 65.73 WHQL drivers
2 - 120GB SATA in RAID 0, 1 - 160 GB ATA, 1- Sony DVD Burner, 1-
Creative 16X DVD Reader, 1- 1.44 floppy
Onboard Sound, USB 2.0, 100MB NIC
CH USB HOTAS

Thanks for th reply Cap!
G.P.

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:25:41 -0700, "CapFusion" > wrote:
>Just out of curiousity. Since you have not mention anything else but the
>card and the game Falcon and SP.
>Do you have Audigy soundcard? If so, try to disable EAX and see if making
>any differences.
>
>CapFusion,...
>

><G. Patricks> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply Private..
>>
>> I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
>> eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
>> Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
>> hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>>
>> G P.

>>>I would try shutting off the antialiasing and anisiotropic filtering if
>>>you
>>>haven't already. If you can run with different versions of Falcon fine
>>>then I
>>>would say the problem is specific to the patched versions you are having
>>>trouble with. I would bring that up to the programmers maybe they would
>>>know
>>>what is different between the versions that would be causing your
>>>problems.
>>>
>>>I also use Falcon. Have you tried messing with the settings in the config
>>>editor?
>>>
>>>What about slimming down what your using with Falcon?

CapFusion
October 13th 04, 11:48 PM
From your spec, I do not see anything that is out of ordinary that come to
mind.
Only suggestion as some other user install SP2 that cause problem. Uninstall
and reinstall the nVidia driver have fix / resolve some user.

CapFusion,...

<G. Patricks> wrote in message
> Sorry I didn't include my specs earlier...
>
> I'm not looking at sound as the in-game sounds continue on normally
> when the screen is frozen. Of course stranger things have happened, so
> i'll take a peek at my DirectX properties, maybe drop Sound Accel down
> a notch..
>
> Here is my system.
> Antec 1080 AMG - 430 Watt True Power, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe,
> PIV-3.0GZ-800mz, 1024 Crucial PC 3200 - DX 9.0c, SP2, and all latest
> XP updates and mobo drivers
> NVidia 6800 GT 256 MB - 65.73 WHQL drivers
> 2 - 120GB SATA in RAID 0, 1 - 160 GB ATA, 1- Sony DVD Burner, 1-
> Creative 16X DVD Reader, 1- 1.44 floppy
> Onboard Sound, USB 2.0, 100MB NIC
> CH USB HOTAS
>
> Thanks for th reply Cap!
> G.P.
>
>>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:25:41 -0700, "CapFusion"
> wrote:
>>Just out of curiousity. Since you have not mention anything else but the
>>card and the game Falcon and SP.
>>Do you have Audigy soundcard? If so, try to disable EAX and see if making
>>any differences.
>>
>>CapFusion,...
>>

>><G. Patricks> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply Private..
>>>
>>> I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
>>> eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
>>> Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
>>> hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>>>
>>> G P.

PRIVATE1964
October 14th 04, 01:42 AM
>Thanks for the reply Private..
>
>I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
>eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
>Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
>hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>
>G P.

It sounds like just a problem with the mod versions your using.

I'm using FF3 with Hitiles, and elevation mod no problems like you describe,
but I'm only using a Geforce 4200. I did have some strange cockpit glitches,
but I fixed that by shutting off cockpit auto resizing. From what you have
explained and what you have tried I doubt your problem will be fixed without a
mod update.

Have you tried these,

Checking refresh rate

Try different resolution

Turn on or off Vsync

re-install DirectX

motherboard chipset drivers

G. Patricks
October 14th 04, 02:19 AM
Yes to all, and add a complete fresh install of XP Pro, and then
testing it with SP1 before going to SP2.. It's not a "mod" persay,
it's the FalconSP executable and even the early BMS >2.0.. I
appreciate your input, but really need to hear from the ONE other
person on Earth running XP Pro and a 6800 GT!! LOL

Icer

>On 14 Oct 2004 00:42:07 GMT, (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>>Thanks for the reply Private..
>>
>>I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
>>eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
>>Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
>>hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>>
>>G P.
>
>It sounds like just a problem with the mod versions your using.
>
>I'm using FF3 with Hitiles, and elevation mod no problems like you describe,
>but I'm only using a Geforce 4200. I did have some strange cockpit glitches,
>but I fixed that by shutting off cockpit auto resizing. From what you have
>explained and what you have tried I doubt your problem will be fixed without a
>mod update.
>
>Have you tried these,
>
>Checking refresh rate
>
>Try different resolution
>
>Turn on or off Vsync
>
>re-install DirectX
>
>motherboard chipset drivers

PRIVATE1964
October 14th 04, 02:34 AM
>Yes to all, and add a complete fresh install of XP Pro, and then
>testing it with SP1 before going to SP2.. It's not a "mod" persay,
>it's the FalconSP executable and even the early BMS >2.0.. I
>appreciate your input, but really need to hear from the ONE other
>person on Earth running XP Pro and a 6800 GT!! LOL

It is still a modified Falcon exe file. If your only having trouble with that
version of Falcon then something is wrong with that version. It ran OK with the
other versions so for some reason your video card and drivers do not like it.

That video card is overkill for Falcon IMO. I'm not saying it shouldn't be able
to run Falcon OK, I'm just saying because it is so new and fast the
possibilities for having problems running an older piece of software are
greater.

Someone mentioned sound card, because from what you described it sounds like a
latency problem or IRQ problem. Your sound card might be sharing an IRQ with
your video card which could be causing issues. I still think the problem is
specific though to what your using with Falcon.

G. Patricks
October 14th 04, 04:16 AM
Thanks again for the input. I agree it is specific to the SP EXE. It
doesn't happen in ANY other sim.. LOMAC, Aces High, IL2, GPL, NASCAR
2003, etc etc..

GP

>On 14 Oct 2004 01:34:08 GMT, (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>>Yes to all, and add a complete fresh install of XP Pro, and then
>>testing it with SP1 before going to SP2.. It's not a "mod" persay,
>>it's the FalconSP executable and even the early BMS >2.0.. I
>>appreciate your input, but really need to hear from the ONE other
>>person on Earth running XP Pro and a 6800 GT!! LOL
>
>It is still a modified Falcon exe file. If your only having trouble with that
>version of Falcon then something is wrong with that version. It ran OK with the
>other versions so for some reason your video card and drivers do not like it.
>
>That video card is overkill for Falcon IMO. I'm not saying it shouldn't be able
>to run Falcon OK, I'm just saying because it is so new and fast the
>possibilities for having problems running an older piece of software are
>greater.
>
>Someone mentioned sound card, because from what you described it sounds like a
>latency problem or IRQ problem. Your sound card might be sharing an IRQ with
>your video card which could be causing issues. I still think the problem is
>specific though to what your using with Falcon.

CapFusion
October 14th 04, 05:29 PM
As Villain suggest, you can try changing the Aperture size eventhough you have GF6800GT.
Aperture size should be irrevelent but it may trigger something in your PC.

Can you try the following -
* Turn off all the new sound options in the Sound Setup (Doppler Distance Effects, Dopple Effects, New Engine Sounds). To see if what will happen.
* Close Falcon, reboot. Try again. If the problem persists, try re-compressing (or compressing for the first time) your textures.
* If it's just the HUD fonts and you have installed BMS, make sure to check the 'Text allignment' box

Or -
* The two most important patches are currently 1.08US and SP3. To install SP3 you need to install 1.08US first.
http://www.f4hq.com/default.php?page=Patches

Have you went to Falcon Forums?
http://www.f4hq.com/forums/

CapFusion,...

<G. Patricks> wrote in message ...
> Yes to all, and add a complete fresh install of XP Pro, and then
> testing it with SP1 before going to SP2.. It's not a "mod" persay,
> it's the FalconSP executable and even the early BMS >2.0.. I
> appreciate your input, but really need to hear from the ONE other
> person on Earth running XP Pro and a 6800 GT!! LOL
>
> Icer
>
>>On 14 Oct 2004 00:42:07 GMT, (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>>>Thanks for the reply Private..
>>>
>>>I've changed every option in NVidia, one at a time. I completely
>>>eliminated all SP Patches, and also changed every in-game Setup item.
>>>Tried all different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit color. Was
>>>hoping someone else was seeing this, enough to make me batty...
>>>
>>>G P.
>>
>>It sounds like just a problem with the mod versions your using.
>>
>>I'm using FF3 with Hitiles, and elevation mod no problems like you describe,
>>but I'm only using a Geforce 4200. I did have some strange cockpit glitches,
>>but I fixed that by shutting off cockpit auto resizing. From what you have
>>explained and what you have tried I doubt your problem will be fixed without a
>>mod update.
>>
>>Have you tried these,
>>
>>Checking refresh rate
>>
>>Try different resolution
>>
>>Turn on or off Vsync
>>
>>re-install DirectX
>>
>>motherboard chipset drivers

G. Patricks
October 14th 04, 06:52 PM
Thanks Villian, I knocked it from 256 to 128, tried a mission and got
a few pauses, not sure yet if less than before... need to try again. I
did actually FINISH a mission so it seemed "better"..

Thanks again!
GP

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:37:16 -0500, Villain > wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:14:47 -0400, G. Patricks <> wrote:
>
>>Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
>>versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
>>(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
>>cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
>>freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
>>unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
>>about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
>>It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
>>65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..
>>
>>Every other sim, racing, flight, or FPS works fine...
>>
>>I've put the question out on all the F4 Forums, figured I would try
>>here.
>>
>>Thanks for any input!
>>G Patricks
>
>I had this problem with another game or sim, can't recall which, and
>either increased or decreased my AGP apeture and it fixed it. Sorry to
>be so vague, but it's early and my memory is not that great.
>
>Villain

G. Patricks
October 15th 04, 08:11 PM
Well, finally pulled the 6800GT, uninstalled (and ran Driver Cleaner),
shoved in my trusty old Sapphire 9500 (softmodded to 9700) in and been
flying SP4.0, SP4.1 for hours without a hiccup, and JUST finished a
GREAT mission on Mav's MP5-1 exe based server.. FF3 runs fine (still
CTD's with the older exe IUC uses), not even noticeably slower.. EBay
here I come.

GP

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:14:47 -0400, G. Patricks <> wrote:

>Since installing my 6800 GT (256MB) i've been unable to run the "SP"
>versions of Falcon 4 (SP3,SP4,4.1, MP5-1). I can run all of the latest
>(BMS 2.0 based) versions fine though. What happens is tha once in the
>cockpit, at anywhere from immediately to 2 minutes in, my screen
>freezes for 20-45 seconds. All sounds progress as normal, and when it
>unfreezes I "warp" to where my real position is. I've tried chageing
>about every setting in NVidea Control and in F4, nothing changes..
>It's happened with all of the latest drivers up to 66.81, i'm using
>65.73 WHQL at the moment. Strangest thing i've ever seen..
>
>Every other sim, racing, flight, or FPS works fine...
>
>I've put the question out on all the F4 Forums, figured I would try
>here.
>
>Thanks for any input!
>G Patricks

rms
October 15th 04, 11:04 PM
>EBay
> here I come.

Are you going to buy a X800 card ?

rms

G. Patricks
October 15th 04, 11:46 PM
Not until I build a new box. With my PIV 3.0gz there isn't enough
difference between the ATI 9700 and the6800GT and X800 cards. Once
AMD hits 4000+ i'll get an X800 XT (or whatever is out then).

Icer