PDA

View Full Version : swapping ATI 9800 for Nvidia comaparable

OVS
October 13th 04, 02:40 PM
Hi,
I've been having problems with a recently purchased Sapphire Radeon 9800
pro(long frustrating story), and after exhausting every avenue, I've
decided to swap the card for a model from Nvidia.

I've had a look at some Nvidia cards which are roughly in the same price
range, but the choice is vast. I've decided on the GeForce NX 6800-TD
128MB DDR as a possible replacement.

http://www.savastore.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Savastore&category%5Fname=Video+Card+%2D+AGP&Page=14&keyword=

I've had a google search and I've only encountered 'proper' 6800's
which are obviously way more powerful and pricer.

My question is, how is this card in comparison to the 9800 pro? Should I
look at different Nvidia cards? I need a card with roughly the same
performance or higher within the same price range. Although the above NX
6800 is £40 more, I'm willing to spend that little extra if the card is
worth it.

Thank you

Mal
October 13th 04, 03:11 PM
"OVS" > wrote in message ...
> Hi,
> I've been having problems with a recently purchased Sapphire Radeon 9800
> pro(long frustrating story), and after exhausting every avenue, I've
> decided to swap the card for a model from Nvidia.
>
> I've had a look at some Nvidia cards which are roughly in the same price
> range, but the choice is vast. I've decided on the GeForce NX 6800-TD
> 128MB DDR as a possible replacement.
>
> http://www.savastore.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Savastore&category%5Fname=Video+Card+%2D+AGP&Page=14&keyword=
>
> I've had a google search and I've only encountered 'proper' 6800's which
> are obviously way more powerful and pricer.
>
> My question is, how is this card in comparison to the 9800 pro? Should I
> look at different Nvidia cards? I need a card with roughly the same
> performance or higher within the same price range. Although the above NX
> 6800 is £40 more, I'm willing to spend that little extra if the card is
> worth it.
>
> Thank you

looking at the MSI global site it seems that the NX 6800TD is a standard
6800 .... ie not a GT or Ultra

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=605

should be quite a bit better than your 9800pro as it's the next generation
of card and comparible with the ATI x800 series ... if it was me I'd pay the
extra £40 :)

Mal

OVS
October 13th 04, 03:56 PM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:11:06 +0100, Mal wrote:

> "OVS" > wrote in message ...

> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=605
>
> should be quite a bit better than your 9800pro as it's the next generation
> of card and comparible with the ATI x800 series ... if it was me I'd pay the
> extra £40 :)
>
> Mal

Thanks for the reply Mal. I've had a look at Tom hardware site, armed with
the knoweldge of the 6800NX being 6800 128MG
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-02.html

And it looks good. Hope now that the vendor will be o.k with the swap
(+excess of course!)

OVS
October 13th 04, 07:25 PM
Just one other question. Looking through this newsgroup for mentions of the
6800, is it correct to say if someone mentions say, a Gefore 6800 its
assumed to be the 128MB version?

Keith Archer
October 13th 04, 07:53 PM
Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
fantastic.

I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as much
bang per buck.

It's a hell of a lot better in Doom3 and Richard Burns Rally than was my old
GF4600Ti and a recently borrowed Saphire Radeon 9800Pro.

There's even a fan speed control slider which I have turned down to lower
the noise level enormously, while not noticing any temperature differences -
I don't overclock.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a current model Nvidia
card but who does not (like me) want to fork out big money for the 6800 GT
or Ultra - which I don't believe will offer much noticeable improvement on
my platform (P4 3.2E/Intel 865PE/ 1GB DDR400) anyway over the 6800/128.

Let the flames commence. ;)

Keith

OVS
October 13th 04, 08:01 PM
=
> I'd certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a current model Nvidia
> card but who does not (like me) want to fork out big money for the 6800 GT
> or Ultra - which I don't believe will offer much noticeable improvement on
> my platform (P4 3.2E/Intel 865PE/ 1GB DDR400) anyway over the 6800/128.
>
> Let the flames commence. ;)
>
> Keith

Perfect, I'm convinced! :)
I've e-mailed (no bloody phone line for tech support!) my vendor...and
fingers crossed they won't have any problem in swapping the cards.

R.V. Gronoff
October 14th 04, 01:04 AM
Keith Archer a écrit :
> Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
> fantastic.
>
> I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as much
> bang per buck.

Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?

Vu
October 14th 04, 02:23 AM
"R.V. Gronoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Keith Archer a écrit :
> > Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be
absolutely
> > fantastic.
> >
> > I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as
much
> > bang per buck.
> >

> Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?

I've got a Leadtek 6800GT in my 4x AGP mobo at the moment.
Goes well, although I really need to upgrade the rest of
the computer...

Vu.

CapFusion
October 14th 04, 05:03 PM
"R.V. Gronoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Keith Archer a écrit :
>> Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
>> fantastic.
>>
>> I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as
>> much bang per buck.
>>

> Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?

Generally speaking, should be fine.
Best if you can check your manual of that MoBo to see if it support to be
sure.

CapFusion,...

OVS
October 14th 04, 05:37 PM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:40:43 +0100, OVS wrote:

> My question is, how is this card in comparison to the 9800 pro? Should I
> look at different Nvidia cards? I need a card with roughly the same
> performance or higher within the same price range. Although the above NX
> 6800 is £40 more, I'm willing to spend that little extra if the card is
> worth it.
>
> Thank you

Oh bugger!
tq96 post has put a spanner in the works. Its only because I had decided on
a 6800 that these problems have arisen. I swear there is a higher power
somewhere conspiring against me!

Pete D
October 16th 04, 07:54 AM
I just did the same and got a Leadtek A400 TDH and it is about 50% faster
than the 9800Pro for only a few dollars more.