PDA

View Full Version : 4600 ti help please!!

Philip Sternklar
October 10th 04, 12:20 AM
My system is a Dell 8200, 2.53Gp4, 512 ddr(400)ram, 4600ti(128meg). Lately
my video has been flakey. On boot-up there will sometimes be dots in
vertical rows over the display. Sometimes there will be a single thick (2")
white bar at the bottom of the display. I think my cards cooling is not
working well. If I open the case and cool the card things seem to get
better. If I am running fs2004 or other "demanding" apps I have a problem.
If I am just surfing etc. no problem. The card fan seems to be working.
I've checked the connections, cleaned dust etc. System memory is ok
(memtest86). HDD is ok. Questions are:
1) Do you agree that my 4600ti is to blame?
2) If so what is the recommended replacement card for my system? I
believe my system is underpowered for the newer cards.
I know this is a lengthy post, thanks for the help!!

-Phil

Cuzman
October 10th 04, 03:31 AM
"Philip Sternklar" > wrote in message

" I think my cards cooling is not working well. If I open the case and
cool the card things seem to get better. "

Before you spend lots of money on a new card, perhaps you should try this:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermaltakegeforce4cooler.php

PRIVATE1964
October 10th 04, 05:12 AM
What I don't understand is why your having trouble with the video cooling now
when you didn't have any trouble in the past with the same cooling.
Usually defective video memory will cause stray pixels like you discribed.
Maybe your video memory is going bad and can't handle as much heat as it could
in the past.
You could try a test. Install coolbits for overclocking. Then under clock just
the memory and test a few games. The memory shouldn't get as hot by doing that
and it should tell you if the memory is part of the problem.

When you mention at start up sometimes seeing these defects is it after Windows
loads or right when you turn the system on? If its right when you turn the
system on then the drivers are not loaded yet for the video card so it would be
hardware related for sure.
The video card does not use the same graphic engine in windows as it does when
your playing games. When your in Windows it uses 2D and in most games it uses
3D.

Philip Sternklar
October 10th 04, 11:48 AM
The vertical dots and white bar are during the BIOS load, before the Win XP
welcome screen.
-Phil
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> What I don't understand is why your having trouble with the video cooling
> now
> when you didn't have any trouble in the past with the same cooling.
> Usually defective video memory will cause stray pixels like you discribed.
> Maybe your video memory is going bad and can't handle as much heat as it
> could
> in the past.
> You could try a test. Install coolbits for overclocking. Then under clock
> just
> the memory and test a few games. The memory shouldn't get as hot by doing
> that
> and it should tell you if the memory is part of the problem.
>
> When you mention at start up sometimes seeing these defects is it after
> Windows
> loads or right when you turn the system on? If its right when you turn the
> system on then the drivers are not loaded yet for the video card so it
> would be
> hardware related for sure.
> The video card does not use the same graphic engine in windows as it does
> when
> your playing games. When your in Windows it uses 2D and in most games it
> uses
> 3D.

Philip Sternklar
October 10th 04, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts about the 5900 vs. 6800gt (new,
cheaper 6800) vs ati 9800? Once again thanks.
-Phil
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> What I don't understand is why your having trouble with the video cooling
> now
> when you didn't have any trouble in the past with the same cooling.
> Usually defective video memory will cause stray pixels like you discribed.
> Maybe your video memory is going bad and can't handle as much heat as it
> could
> in the past.
> You could try a test. Install coolbits for overclocking. Then under clock
> just
> the memory and test a few games. The memory shouldn't get as hot by doing
> that
> and it should tell you if the memory is part of the problem.
>
> When you mention at start up sometimes seeing these defects is it after
> Windows
> loads or right when you turn the system on? If its right when you turn the
> system on then the drivers are not loaded yet for the video card so it
> would be
> hardware related for sure.
> The video card does not use the same graphic engine in windows as it does
> when
> your playing games. When your in Windows it uses 2D and in most games it
> uses
> 3D.

PRIVATE1964
October 10th 04, 06:02 PM
>The vertical dots and white bar are during the BIOS load, before the Win XP
>welcome screen.
>-Phil

That would mean the problem is most likely just hardware related because the
video drivers have not been loaded yet. Also if you have just turned on the
computer and are seeing problems I doubt that it is just heat related. It takes
a little time for the memory anf the GPU to build up some heat so why are you
seeing problems right when you start the system.
I still think something is going bad on the card and the heat is making the
problem worse. I would still take the card out and clean both sides of the edge
connector on the card with a pencil erasor. I would also inspect both sides of
the card while it is out for any kind of damage such as leaking components etc.

Philip Sternklar
October 10th 04, 08:03 PM
Thanks all. It was the card. Replaced it with a 9800 pro 128meg. All is
working well now.
-Phil
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts about the 5900 vs. 6800gt (new,
>>cheaper 6800) vs ati 9800? Once again thanks.
>>-Phil
>
> I'm still using an overclocked 4200, but am waiting to see what happens
> with
> the new 6600. I think you might be better off waiting a bit longer if you
> can.
> The 6600 will have the most recent DirectX features, and hopefully great
> performance at a reasonable price.
>
> If you can't hold out then a 9800 Pro or anything by Nvidia with around
> the
> same peformance should be fine for a while.
> I would do some google searching for benchmarks before buying any graphic
> card
> though.

Ryan J. Paque
October 11th 04, 07:09 AM
PRIVATE1964 wrote:

> I still think something is going bad on the card and the heat is making the
> problem worse. I would still take the card out and clean both sides of the edge
> connector on the card with a pencil erasor. I would also inspect both sides of
> the card while it is out for any kind of damage such as leaking components etc.

Pencil eraser? I have never heard that one before. Wouldn't the
eraser nub leave some residue on the contacts?

Although that's not the craziest I've heard... Way back in my Amiga
days, I had a problem with a sidecar HD on my A500... tech support
actually told me to take out the control card, and wash it in warm water
mixed with powder laundry detergent, blow-dry thouroughly, let sit for
an hour, and then plug it back in...

Amazingly enough, it solved my problem!

Ryan

PRIVATE1964
October 11th 04, 04:24 PM

> Pencil eraser? I have never heard that one before. Wouldn't the
>eraser nub leave some residue on the contacts?

It actually works very well to clean off the surface of the contacts without
damage. You have to use some common sense though like make sure to blow off the
tiny bits of erasor before putting the card back in the slot. It shines up the
gold contacts like new.

> tech support
>actually told me to take out the control card, and wash it in warm water
>mixed with powder laundry detergent, blow-dry thouroughly, let sit for
>an hour, and then plug it back in...

That sounds a bit more risky to me then a pencil erasor. : )

CapFusion
October 12th 04, 12:13 AM
This normally meant or sign, your card is failling. It may last for while
longer or might go bad really quickly.
Suggest to prepare for the next step - either exchange / RMA / replacement
etc. soon.

CapFusion,...

"Philip Sternklar" > wrote in message
> The vertical dots and white bar are during the BIOS load, before the Win
> XP welcome screen.
> -Phil
> "PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
>> What I don't understand is why your having trouble with the video cooling
>> now
>> when you didn't have any trouble in the past with the same cooling.
>> Usually defective video memory will cause stray pixels like you
>> discribed.
>> Maybe your video memory is going bad and can't handle as much heat as it
>> could
>> in the past.
>> You could try a test. Install coolbits for overclocking. Then under clock
>> just
>> the memory and test a few games. The memory shouldn't get as hot by doing
>> that
>> and it should tell you if the memory is part of the problem.
>>
>> When you mention at start up sometimes seeing these defects is it after
>> Windows
>> loads or right when you turn the system on? If its right when you turn
>> the
>> system on then the drivers are not loaded yet for the video card so it
>> would be
>> hardware related for sure.
>> The video card does not use the same graphic engine in windows as it does
>> when
>> your playing games. When your in Windows it uses 2D and in most games it
>> uses
>> 3D.

CapFusion
October 12th 04, 12:16 AM
"Ryan J. Paque" > wrote in message

> PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>

>> I still think something is going bad on the card and the heat is making
>> the
>> problem worse. I would still take the card out and clean both sides of
>> the edge
>> connector on the card with a pencil erasor. I would also inspect both
>> sides of
>> the card while it is out for any kind of damage such as leaking
>> components etc.
>
> Pencil eraser? I have never heard that one before. Wouldn't the eraser
> nub leave some residue on the contacts?
>
> Although that's not the craziest I've heard... Way back in my Amiga days,
> I had a problem with a sidecar HD on my A500... tech support actually told
> me to take out the control card, and wash it in warm water mixed with
> powder laundry detergent, blow-dry thouroughly, let sit for an hour, and
> then plug it back in...
>
> Amazingly enough, it solved my problem!
>
> Ryan

Using eraser is better option then using water.

CapFusion,...

DaveW
October 12th 04, 12:34 AM
Yes, it does sound like your video card is overheating.

--
DaveW

"Philip Sternklar" > wrote in message
> My system is a Dell 8200, 2.53Gp4, 512 ddr(400)ram, 4600ti(128meg).
> Lately
> my video has been flakey. On boot-up there will sometimes be dots in
> vertical rows over the display. Sometimes there will be a single thick
> (2")
> white bar at the bottom of the display. I think my cards cooling is not
> working well. If I open the case and cool the card things seem to get
> better. If I am running fs2004 or other "demanding" apps I have a
> problem.
> If I am just surfing etc. no problem. The card fan seems to be working.
> I've checked the connections, cleaned dust etc. System memory is ok
> (memtest86). HDD is ok. Questions are:
> 1) Do you agree that my 4600ti is to blame?
> 2) If so what is the recommended replacement card for my system? I
> believe my system is underpowered for the newer cards.
> I know this is a lengthy post, thanks for the help!!
>
> -Phil

Ryan J. Paque
October 12th 04, 01:50 AM
CapFusion wrote:

>>>I still think something is going bad on the card and the heat is making
>>>the
>>>problem worse. I would still take the card out and clean both sides of
>>>the edge
>>>connector on the card with a pencil erasor. I would also inspect both
>>>sides of
>>>the card while it is out for any kind of damage such as leaking
>>>components etc.
>>
>> Pencil eraser? I have never heard that one before. Wouldn't the eraser
>>nub leave some residue on the contacts?
>>
>> Although that's not the craziest I've heard... Way back in my Amiga days,
>>I had a problem with a sidecar HD on my A500... tech support actually told
>>me to take out the control card, and wash it in warm water mixed with
>>powder laundry detergent, blow-dry thouroughly, let sit for an hour, and
>>then plug it back in...
>>
>> Amazingly enough, it solved my problem!
>>
>> Ryan
>

> Using eraser is better option then using water.

I guess you learn something new every day! (And just for the record,
I haven't washed a board in soap & water since that one time!)

Lachoneus
October 12th 04, 09:05 PM
> Before you spend lots of money on a new card, perhaps you should try this:
>
> http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermaltakegeforce4cooler.php

A word of warning about that cooler: I bought one to replace the
dying fan on my old Ti4200, and it's LOUD. Works well, though.

I'm actually using that cooler on my dead-fan 5900XT for the time
being (yes, it fits just fine and actually works better than stock)
until I decide whether to get an NV Silencer 3 or a new video card.
(6600GT AGP, wherefore art thou?)

R.V. Gronoff
October 13th 04, 12:24 AM
Philip Sternklar a écrit :

> Thanks all. It was the card. Replaced it with a 9800 pro 128meg. All is
> working well now.
> -Phil

Does the 9800 require a second power plug ?
Is 250MHz enough to run this beastie OK (considering I have 2 HDs, a DVD
drive and a DVD burner) ?

I'm asking just in case my Ti4600 would go >paff< too.

Also, to all, will the FX5900 XT work on an AGP 4x bus or does it need
an 8x one ?

Philip Sternklar
October 13th 04, 12:47 AM
I got a 9800. Comes with a "Y" power adapter. No problems running on my
Dell 250w supply.
-Phil
"R.V. Gronoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Philip Sternklar a écrit :
>
>> Thanks all. It was the card. Replaced it with a 9800 pro 128meg. All
>> is working well now.
>> -Phil
>
> Does the 9800 require a second power plug ?
> Is 250MHz enough to run this beastie OK (considering I have 2 HDs, a DVD
> drive and a DVD burner) ?
>
> I'm asking just in case my Ti4600 would go >paff< too.
>
> Also, to all, will the FX5900 XT work on an AGP 4x bus or does it need an
> 8x one ?

CapFusion
October 13th 04, 12:58 AM

>>> Pencil eraser? I have never heard that one before. Wouldn't the eraser
>>> nub leave some residue on the contacts?
>>>
>>> Although that's not the craziest I've heard... Way back in my Amiga
>>> days, I had a problem with a sidecar HD on my A500... tech support
>>> actually told me to take out the control card, and wash it in warm water
>>> mixed with powder laundry detergent, blow-dry thouroughly, let sit for
>>> an hour, and then plug it back in...
>>>
>>> Amazingly enough, it solved my problem!
>>>
>>> Ryan
>>

>> Using eraser is better option then using water.
>
> I guess you learn something new every day! (And just for the record, I
> haven't washed a board in soap & water since that one time!)

Heehe.....

CapFusion,...