PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA 3D: really slow glxgears & game crashes - ARRGHH!


Rob
October 5th 04, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I have SuSE 9.1 running on an ASUS A7N8X (2700+ Athlon) with a GeForce4
4600 card. I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and glxinfo tells me
that direct rendering is enabled. Celestia and 3D games like TuxRacer
run smoothly so the drivers *are* installed BUT:

a. GlxGears gives me ~60FPS which is shockingly crap (far lower than
software rendering). Does anyone know if the following looks correct,
I'm not clear on it (also see end of post):
$ ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x40031000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40099000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400a8000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x401a5000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x401b5000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x401d7000)
libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x402ec000)
libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0x409c4000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x409c6000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)


b. Although Unreal 2004 runs fairly well under 800x600 it doesn't seem
smooth (it doesn't look like particularly low FPS just "oddly jerky").
The worst part however is that it starts locking up after about 30
seconds of play. These lock ups get progressively longer until the
entire system stops responding and I have to hard-reset.

c. I also get S L O W 2D performance within KDE (moving windows about,
etc).

I had in the past tried the SuSE YOU NVIDIA update with a SuSE .RPM but
I wasn't using 3D at the time. I know: why did I bother installing it?
Could there be a freaky conflict between the two drivers? Anyone
experienced these symptoms? Please help, I've Googled till I'm blue in
the face and no answers appear.

Cheers!
Rob

p.s. I enclose the following in case it helps:-


XF86Config is ok:
Section "Device"
BoardName "GeForce4 Ti 4600"
BusID "2:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Screen 0
Option "Rotate" "off"
VendorName "NVidia"

The kernel modules are there:
$ lsmod | grep -i 'nvidia'
nvidia 4808660 12
nvidia_agp 7708 1
agpgart 30888 2 nvidia_agp


I'm fairly sure that I have the correct drivers and links everywhere:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
-> libGLcore.so.1.0.6111*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7132152 2004-09-28 22:10
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.6111*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 653 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so ->
libGL.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ->
libGL.so.1.0.6111*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 423832 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6111*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 665870 2004-04-06 03:08 /usr/lib/libGLU.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-07-09 20:59 /usr/lib/libGLU.so ->
libGLU.so.1.3*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-07-09 20:51 /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 ->
libGLU.so.1.3*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 571679 2004-04-06 03:08 /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3*

ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2004-09-28 22:10
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> libglx.so.1.0.6111*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 683992 2004-09-28 22:10
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.6111*

ls -l /dev/nvidia*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia00
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 1 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia01
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 2 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia02
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 3 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia03
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 255 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidiactl

Andrew Schulman
October 6th 04, 08:38 PM
> I have SuSE 9.1 running on an ASUS A7N8X (2700+ Athlon) with a GeForce4
> 4600 card. I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and glxinfo tells me
> that direct rendering is enabled. Celestia and 3D games like TuxRacer
> run smoothly so the drivers *are* installed BUT:
>
> a. GlxGears gives me ~60FPS which is shockingly crap (far lower than
> software rendering). Does anyone know if the following looks correct,
> I'm not clear on it (also see end of post):
> $ ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears
> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
> libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x40031000)
> libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40099000)
> libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400a8000)
> libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x401a5000)
> libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x401b5000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x401d7000)
> libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x402ec000)
> libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0x409c4000)
> libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x409c6000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Looks okay to me.

> b. Although Unreal 2004 runs fairly well under 800x600 it doesn't seem
> smooth (it doesn't look like particularly low FPS just "oddly jerky").
> The worst part however is that it starts locking up after about 30
> seconds of play. These lock ups get progressively longer until the
> entire system stops responding and I have to hard-reset.

ugh

> c. I also get S L O W 2D performance within KDE (moving windows about,
> etc).

ugh, ugh

> I had in the past tried the SuSE YOU NVIDIA update with a SuSE .RPM but
> I wasn't using 3D at the time. I know: why did I bother installing it?
> Could there be a freaky conflict between the two drivers? Anyone
> experienced these symptoms? Please help, I've Googled till I'm blue in
> the face and no answers appear.

I don't know, but see below.

> Cheers!
> Rob
>
> p.s. I enclose the following in case it helps:-
>
>
> XF86Config is ok:
> Section "Device"
> BoardName "GeForce4 Ti 4600"
> BusID "2:0:0"
> Driver "nvidia"
> Identifier "Device[0]"
> Screen 0
> Option "Rotate" "off"
> VendorName "NVidia"
>
> The kernel modules are there:
> $ lsmod | grep -i 'nvidia'
> nvidia 4808660 12
> nvidia_agp 7708 1
> agpgart 30888 2 nvidia_agp
>
>
> I'm fairly sure that I have the correct drivers and links everywhere:
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
> -> libGLcore.so.1.0.6111*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7132152 2004-09-28 22:10
> /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.6111*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 653 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so ->
> libGL.so.1*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ->
> libGL.so.1.0.6111*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 423832 2004-09-28 22:10 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6111*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 665870 2004-04-06 03:08 /usr/lib/libGLU.a
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-07-09 20:59 /usr/lib/libGLU.so ->
> libGLU.so.1.3*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-07-09 20:51 /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 ->
> libGLU.so.1.3*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 571679 2004-04-06 03:08 /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3*
>
> ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2004-09-28 22:10
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> libglx.so.1.0.6111*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 683992 2004-09-28 22:10
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.6111*
>
> ls -l /dev/nvidia*
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia00
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 1 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia01
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 2 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia02
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 3 2004-04-06 14:27 /dev/nvidia03
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia1
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia2
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia3
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia4
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia5
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia6
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidia7
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 255 2004-09-28 22:10 /dev/nvidiactl

Well you've done your homework here. You've ruled out all of the most
common causes of nvidia driver problems. The only other thing I know to
check is

$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so*
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26 Oct 5 23:29 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so ->
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6111
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26 Oct 5 23:29 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 ->
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6111

However since you say glxinfo says direct rendering is enabled, I don't
think that's your problem.

Anyway have a look at
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/troubleshooting.html; you
might find some more ideas there.

Good luck,
Andrew.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

Rob
October 7th 04, 10:25 AM
SOLUTION:

Ok I went for the inelegant option of installing a new instance of SuSE
9.1 on a seperate partition. Updated the system (including the kernel)
with YOU. I did NOT install the fetchnvidia SUSE driver. Instead I
installed version 61111 of the nvidia driver from nvidia.com
I got an error about rivafb being installed as a kernel module. This
module is never loaded so there is no problem. I ran sax2 -m 0=nvidia
and set up my monitor and screen resolution but did NOT configure 3D
support in sax2. I then init 5 and get back to KDE. Run glxgears and get
>7100 FPS. Rock on! YOU must have buggered something. I've now migrated
to the new 9.1 and everything is much better. Some other minor problems
I've had have also gone away.

Interesting second problem though which other people may find helpful:
- Every time I ran a 3D app the system would hang for long periods. The
app (e.g. unreal 2004 or neverball) would still run in the background
(sometimes heard audio but got a static image). UT2004 utter unplayable/
Googled a bit for things like "nvidia SuSE 3D hang": nothing. Then I
came across a post on memory leaks and someone mentioned overheating GFX
cards: BING! My GFX card fan had died a while ago and I'd replaced it
with a passive Zalman heatsink. Card was overheating. Placed a fan next
to the heatsink and turned up the cases's cooling (4 fans with variable
RPM) to max and now I have a silky smooth system! UT2004 is playable on
1600x1200 with all GFX settings on their highest values! I prefer the
res a little lower though as it is slightly smoother.

Hope all this helps others.

Rob
October 7th 04, 11:28 PM
I KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING MY SLOW GLX GEARS! IT HAPPENED AGAIN!
I'm such a fool.
It was sodding [email protected] even though it was low priority.
Bloody idiot thing runing in background on all my machines and I forgot
about it. Caused me hours of grief and two SuSE re-installs. At least
this new install has somehow sorted lots of other problems (like the
Windows key acting weird).

faeychild
October 9th 04, 09:04 AM
Rob wrote:

> I KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING MY SLOW GLX GEARS! IT HAPPENED AGAIN!
> I'm such a fool.
> It was sodding [email protected] even though it was low priority.
> Bloody idiot thing runing in background on all my machines and I forgot
> about it. Caused me hours of grief and two SuSE re-installs. At least
> this new install has somehow sorted lots of other problems (like the
> Windows key acting weird).

SETI is a real pig! isn't it?
It totals Blender too.It would seem that the lowest priority
is still too high.

--
faeychild