PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 6800 gt artifacting problems

jahindie
October 5th 04, 09:51 AM
Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
can do to fix things. Here are my specs

P4 3.0 Ghz
1gig DDR-ram
asus p4p800-E
2 HD
1 DVD+/- burner
1 DVD-Rom

1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
because of the effects of SP2 with my card. 2) So i need a more
powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
online is just not enough. 3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
6800 GT right now. 4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!

thanks again

Mal
October 5th 04, 10:53 AM
"jahindie" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
> overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
> much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
> doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
> Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
> recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
> can do to fix things. Here are my specs
>
> P4 3.0 Ghz
> 1gig DDR-ram
> asus p4p800-E
> 2 HD
> 1 DVD+/- burner
> 1 DVD-Rom
>
> 1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
> because of the effects of SP2 with my card. 2) So i need a more
> powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
> online is just not enough. 3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
> Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
> 6800 GT right now. 4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
> house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
> a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
> account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
> dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
> for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
> only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
> mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!
>
> thanks again

do you still get the artifacts & graphical issues if you run the card at
it's normal clock rate?

The minimum psu you can get away with for a 6800GT is 300w ... but a lot
depends on the quality of the psu of course

Review of the BFG 6800GT @ HardOCP
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3

"The minimum power requirement for the BFGTech GeForce 6800GT is a 300W
power supply"

Graphical errors on screen usually point to a problem with the video ram
either faulty or trying to run over spec. (heat and/or timing issues) ...
the power surges in your house could be causing or just adding to the
problem depending on how bad they are and the quality of your psu, the best
way to get around this would be to buy a ups ... small single machine
versions are available for around 60 upwards ... plus you have the added
benefit that if the power fails completely then your machine will shut down
gracefully while running on battery backup.

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK350EI

of course APC aren't the only company that make UPS but I have always found
their customer support to be excellent

hope all that was of some use to you

Mal

Chip
October 5th 04, 12:15 PM
"jahindie" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
> overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
> much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
> doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
> Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
> recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
> can do to fix things. Here are my specs

"Little specs" are nearly always video memory errors. I think this is
occurring because the voltage supply to the memory is sagging, and this is
happening because at 380MHz, the GPU is drawing more current and pulling the
Vdimm voltage down a little.

300w is the recommended spec for a 6800GT, but *only* if you are not going
to overclock it. If you plan to increase the speed, then the power supply
requirements go up. Since you have a 350w PSU, I would say that is the most
likely cause of the problem.

You could try a VGA Silencer, but its really the wrong solution. You are
not overclocking your ram, so you shouldn't have to change the heatsink just
to get the ram to work at stock speeds. The ram is failing because of power
issues, not heat issues.

Chip

PurSpyk!!
October 5th 04, 02:40 PM
Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner (gets
power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.

I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town, South
Africa.

"Chip" > wrote in message
"jahindie" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
> overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
> much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
> doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
> Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
> recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
> can do to fix things. Here are my specs

"Little specs" are nearly always video memory errors. I think this is
occurring because the voltage supply to the memory is sagging, and this is
happening because at 380MHz, the GPU is drawing more current and pulling the
Vdimm voltage down a little.

300w is the recommended spec for a 6800GT, but *only* if you are not going
to overclock it. If you plan to increase the speed, then the power supply
requirements go up. Since you have a 350w PSU, I would say that is the most
likely cause of the problem.

You could try a VGA Silencer, but its really the wrong solution. You are
not overclocking your ram, so you shouldn't have to change the heatsink just
to get the ram to work at stock speeds. The ram is failing because of power
issues, not heat issues.

Chip

Chip
October 5th 04, 05:14 PM
"PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I don't believe it is the power supply.
>
> I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
> GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

Yes, but you don't have *his* power supply.

You need a good quality PSU (or a very powerful "cheap" one). And many "so
called" 300w or 350w PSU's can output nowhere near that amount.

Chip

CapFusion
October 5th 04, 05:19 PM
"PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I don't believe it is the power supply.
>
> I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
> GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.
>
> I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner
> (gets
> power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.
>
> I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
> does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town,
> South
> Africa.

Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement. But
can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
handle your PC?

The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.

CapFusion,...

Brenden D. Chase
October 6th 04, 01:29 AM
> 1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
> because of the effects of SP2 with my card.

What effect did SP2 have on your card??? I've updated to it and dont
notice any difference in my card, i've got BFG 6800 GT OC

2) So i need a more
> powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
> online is just not enough.

350 is probably not enough

3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
> Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
> 6800 GT right now.

maybe you should have bought that before you decided to overclock it??

4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
> house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
> a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
> account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
> dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
> for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
> only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
> mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!
>
> thanks again

You should have spent the money on a surge protector... which by the way
i dont think powersupplies surge protect on there own, but i welcome
anyone who can inform me on that.

I dont know what your problems are with SP2, but i dont have any.

--Brenden

Brenden D. Chase
October 6th 04, 01:31 AM

> http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK350EI
>
> of course APC aren't the only company that make UPS but I have always found
> their customer support to be excellent
>
> hope all that was of some use to you
>
> Mal

I believe APC is the originator of the battery backup... based out of
my home state.

@ndrew
October 6th 04, 01:33 AM
Brenden D. Chase wrote:

> With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your
> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor,
> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the same problem
> while sucking less juice from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.

Much easier to go here:

http://tinyurl.com/24zoz

regards

@ndrew

Brenden D. Chase
October 6th 04, 01:34 AM
Chip wrote:
> "PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I don't believe it is the power supply.
>>
>>I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
>>GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.
>>

> Yes, but you don't have *his* power supply.
>
> You need a good quality PSU (or a very powerful "cheap" one). And many "so
> called" 300w or 350w PSU's can output nowhere near that amount.
>
> Chip

and always remember the hotter the PSU gets the less power its producing

Brenden D. Chase
October 6th 04, 01:37 AM
With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your computer
and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive)
Then start up the game... if you get the same problem while sucking less
juice from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.

--Brenden

CapFusion
October 6th 04, 01:55 AM
"Brenden D. Chase" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> 1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
>> because of the effects of SP2 with my card.
>
> What effect did SP2 have on your card??? I've updated to it and dont
> notice any difference in my card, i've got BFG 6800 GT OC
>
> 2) So i need a more
>> powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
>> online is just not enough.
>
> 350 is probably not enough
>
> 3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
>> Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
>> 6800 GT right now.
>
> maybe you should have bought that before you decided to overclock it??
>
> 4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
>> house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
>> a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
>> account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
>> dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
>> for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
>> only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
>> mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!
>>
>> thanks again
>>

> You should have spent the money on a surge protector... which by the way i
> dont think powersupplies surge protect on there own, but i welcome anyone
> who can inform me on that.
>
> I dont know what your problems are with SP2, but i dont have any.
>
> --Brenden

350W PSU may or may not cut it. It really boil down to what you have or NET
total components in your PC that your PSU need to drive it. The more
components, it will tax more on your PSU and how it can handle which also
depend on it quality component use by the maker / manufacturer.
Taking 300W [name brand] and 350W [cheapy version]
300W PSU may or can handle fully loaded and OC MoBo and Graphic board.
But....
350W PSU fail with the same almost fully load PC and non-OC.

As for SP2.
I do not seem to see problem or big issue with SP2 since I update and or
install it everyday. Yes. EVERYDAY. The only SP2 issue I see when a PC come
in for service.

CapFusion,...

jahindie
October 6th 04, 05:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will buy a power supply and see if
that works. I agree with Cap on this one. Sense it wouldn't hurt to
buy a new PSU. I am trying to narrow it down to see. So if the power
supply fails I will get the cooler for the card. From the feedback
over at [H]ardOCP Forum's. They are saying the same thing. But also
they said that the fan for the Graphics Card wouldn't hurt as well. I
will let you know what happens.

again thanks for the help and GO KERRY!!!

"CapFusion" > wrote in message >...
> "PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I don't believe it is the power supply.
> >
> > I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
> > GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.
> >
> > I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner
> > (gets
> > power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.
> >
> > I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
> > does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town,
> > South
> > Africa.
> >

> Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement. But
> can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
> handle your PC?
>
> The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.
>
> CapFusion,...

Chip
October 6th 04, 07:58 AM
"Brenden D. Chase" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your computer
> and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive) Then
> start up the game... if you get the same problem while sucking less juice
> from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.
>
> --Brenden

A good idea, except that it may not reveal the problem. A P4 at 3 GHz might
easily be consuming 70w and the GF6800 overclocked could take up to perhaps
120w. At 12v that's 16A, without anything else plugged in! So it might
fail even with everything else disconnected.

Chip

Bronney Hui
October 6th 04, 09:42 AM
J,

Just a thing to add in case it helps. I am not sure but I remember JC the
man says something about how doom 3 doesn't like out of spec video cards.

I used to run my GF3 Ti200 at 214/486 (stock 175/400) ever since I got it.
Any higher would result in artifacts. At this speed, only EA Tigerwoods and
MOHAA exhibits minimal artifacts.

When I got doom 3 and played at this speed, there were artifacts all over
the place down to the menu since it's rendered. There was so much it was
unplayable. Same thing with FarCry, and CoD. I had to tune it back down to
204/472 for all artifacts to go away.

1. I had SP2 installed and it didn't cause artifacts. Though mine wasn't
6800. I've since did a reformat and don't have SP2 anymore.

2. Since it looks like you're getting a new PSU anyway, I won't bother you
with that. There're 3 brands that come to mind: Antec
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html, GTR
http://www.gtr.com.hk/new-subpage/product/power_supply/power_supply_page.htm#ar300/b
(Hong Kong), 2theMAX http://www.2themax.com/ (Taiwan). They're great :) My
current is my second 2themax with 3 separated outputs. The last one blown
cuz of a power surge + humid weather (98% all summer in hong kong), the caps
leaked.

My current one is the 2themax HE-370 Pro with 3 fans.. the components I have
are:
asus p4p800se
p4-2.8c @ 3.06
2x corsair vs cl2.5 512MB sticks
hercules 3d prophet 3 gf3 ti200 64MB
maxtor quantum fireball ultra 100 7200rpm 40 gig
hitachi ibm ultra 100 7200rpm 80 gig
hitachi gd-2500 cheap **** 4x dvdrom (HEY! all regions :)
panasonic grandpa 4x cdr
sound blaster live! x-gamer
realtek 8139 nic

usb devices plugged in:
logitech wingman formula force gt
2x cheap **** made in china ps2 style joypads
logitech quickcam express old
wacom graphire 3 tablet

Will see how it goes when I plug in the 6600 gt this weekend :) The PSU's
rated at 440W max.

3. When I experimented with Core vs. Mem. timing, I noticed that most
artifacts came from the memory. Adding a fancy fan for the core might not
help at all.

4. Having a good UPS's a good idea. But a good quality PSU should protect
you by just burning out the fuse and not the unit. Having a bad PSU during
powersurge could burn your mobo.

-bron

"jahindie" > ???
m ???...
> Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will buy a power supply and see if
> that works. I agree with Cap on this one. Sense it wouldn't hurt to
> buy a new PSU. I am trying to narrow it down to see. So if the power
> supply fails I will get the cooler for the card. From the feedback
> over at [H]ardOCP Forum's. They are saying the same thing. But also
> they said that the fan for the Graphics Card wouldn't hurt as well. I
> will let you know what happens.
>
> again thanks for the help and GO KERRY!!!
>

> "CapFusion" > wrote in message
> > "PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I don't believe it is the power supply.
> > >
> > > I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce
6800
> > > GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.
> > >
> > > I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner
> > > (gets
> > > power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.
> > >
> > > I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The
card
> > > does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town,
> > > South
> > > Africa.
> > >

> > Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement.
But
> > can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
> > handle your PC?
> >
> > The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.
> >
> > CapFusion,...

Chip
October 6th 04, 10:59 AM
"jahindie" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will buy a power supply and see if
> that works. I agree with Cap on this one. Sense it wouldn't hurt to
> buy a new PSU. I am trying to narrow it down to see. So if the power
> supply fails I will get the cooler for the card. From the feedback
> over at [H]ardOCP Forum's. They are saying the same thing. But also
> they said that the fan for the Graphics Card wouldn't hurt as well. I
> will let you know what happens.
>
> again thanks for the help and GO KERRY!!!

Who? Oh, you must live on that large island west of the Atlantic. Not
everyone in the world does, you know ;-)

Anyway, since you are going to buy a new PSU, can I put in a strong vote for
the OCZ Powerstream PSU.

I have owned Sparkle, Enermax, Antec and now Globalwin (which is quite good
actually). But without a shadow of a doubt, the OCZ is in a different
league to all of the above. Its MILES better. I wish I owned one and if I
was buying again, this is definitely what I would buy.

The only thing that can touch the OCZ is the PC Power & Cooling PSU, but
that is a lot more money.

Seriously, don't go for the Antec of Enermax (or Forton) that everyone
recommends. The OCZ is so much better. Read the reviews!

Chip

> "CapFusion" > wrote in message
>> "PurSpyk!!" > wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I don't believe it is the power supply.
>> >
>> > I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce
>> > 6800
>> > GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.
>> >
>> > I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner
>> > (gets
>> > power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.
>> >
>> > I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The
>> > card
>> > does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town,
>> > South
>> > Africa.
>> >

>> Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement.
>> But
>> can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
>> handle your PC?
>>
>> The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.
>>
>> CapFusion,...

Chip
October 6th 04, 11:00 AM
Forgot the URL!

http://tinyurl.com/6yswp

"Chip" > wrote in message
> "jahindie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will buy a power supply and see if
>> that works. I agree with Cap on this one. Sense it wouldn't hurt to
>> buy a new PSU. I am trying to narrow it down to see. So if the power
>> supply fails I will get the cooler for the card. From the feedback
>> over at [H]ardOCP Forum's. They are saying the same thing. But also
>> they said that the fan for the Graphics Card wouldn't hurt as well. I
>> will let you know what happens.
>>
>> again thanks for the help and GO KERRY!!!
>
> Who? Oh, you must live on that large island west of the Atlantic. Not
> everyone in the world does, you know ;-)
>
> Anyway, since you are going to buy a new PSU, can I put in a strong vote
> for the OCZ Powerstream PSU.
>
> I have owned Sparkle, Enermax, Antec and now Globalwin (which is quite
> good actually). But without a shadow of a doubt, the OCZ is in a
> different league to all of the above. Its MILES better. I wish I owned
> one and if I was buying again, this is definitely what I would buy.
>
> The only thing that can touch the OCZ is the PC Power & Cooling PSU, but
> that is a lot more money.
>
> Seriously, don't go for the Antec of Enermax (or Forton) that everyone
> recommends. The OCZ is so much better. Read the reviews!
>
> Chip

>>> Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement.
>>> But
>>> can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
>>> handle your PC?
>>>
>>> The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.
>>>
>>> CapFusion,...

Chip
October 6th 04, 05:23 PM
"jahindie" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will buy a power supply and see if
> that works. I agree with Cap on this one. Sense it wouldn't hurt to
> buy a new PSU.

Having raved so strongly about OCZ Powerstream PSU's in my other 2 posts, I
re-read some of the reviews. Bad idea really. I decided I had to have one
so 10 minutes ago I bought one myself.

Now I just need to decide what to do with my Globalwin SAP Saphire 520w!
Hmmmmmm.

Chip

CapFusion
October 6th 04, 07:10 PM
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>
>> With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
>> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your
>> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor,
>> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the same problem
>> while sucking less juice from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.
>

> Much easier to go here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/24zoz

That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak but
should not take it as a true answer.

CapFusion,...

@ndrew
October 7th 04, 11:27 AM
CapFusion wrote:

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> > Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> >
> >> With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
> >> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your
> >> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor,
> >> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the same problem
> >> while sucking less juice from the PSU then you know its not the
> PSU.
> >

> > Much easier to go here:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/24zoz
> >

> That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak
> but should not take it as a true answer.
>
> CapFusion,...

It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in load
to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10% is my
best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.

regards

@ndrew

Chip
October 7th 04, 12:25 PM
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> CapFusion wrote:

>> PSU.
>> >

>> > Much easier to go here:
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/24zoz
>> >

>> That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak
>> but should not take it as a true answer.
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>

> It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in load
> to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10% is my
> best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.

Having just looked at it in more detail, the other *crucial* thing it
doesn't take into account is the increased power consumption when
overclocking. For example, although the Athlon XP is supposed to draw
around 60~70w, it can easily go over 100w if you overclock it a little.
Start to put 1.85v and 2200MHz+ through it and you'll soon be over 100w.
Similarly GF6800's. A GT may be "only" 105w, but not when its run a 1.4v
bios patch and 440MHz! Its probably nearer 130~140w then.

Chip

@ndrew
October 7th 04, 07:25 PM
Chip wrote:

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> > CapFusion wrote:

> easy >> >> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up
> your >> >> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard,
> monitor, >> >> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the
> same problem >> >> while sucking less juice from the PSU then you
> know its not the >> PSU.

> >> That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak
> >> but should not take it as a true answer.
> > >
> >> CapFusion,...
> >

> > It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in
> > load to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10%
> > is my best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.
>
> Having just looked at it in more detail, the other crucial thing it
> doesn't take into account is the increased power consumption when
> overclocking. For example, although the Athlon XP is supposed to
> draw around 60~70w, it can easily go over 100w if you overclock it a
> little. Start to put 1.85v and 2200MHz+ through it and you'll soon
> be over 100w. Similarly GF6800's. A GT may be "only" 105w, but not
> when its run a 1.4v bios patch and 440MHz! Its probably nearer
> 130~140w then.
>
> Chip

This is what I meant by load o)

regards

@ndrew

Chip
October 7th 04, 08:16 PM
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:

>> easy >> >> test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up
>> your >> >> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard,
>> monitor, >> >> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the
>> same problem >> >> while sucking less juice from the PSU then you
>> know its not the >> PSU.

>> > It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in
>> > load to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10%
>> > is my best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.
>>
>> Having just looked at it in more detail, the other crucial thing it
>> doesn't take into account is the increased power consumption when
>> overclocking. For example, although the Athlon XP is supposed to
>> draw around 60~70w, it can easily go over 100w if you overclock it a
>> little. Start to put 1.85v and 2200MHz+ through it and you'll soon
>> be over 100w. Similarly GF6800's. A GT may be "only" 105w, but not
>> when its run a 1.4v bios patch and 440MHz! Its probably nearer
>> 130~140w then.
>>
>> Chip
>

> This is what I meant by load o)

Well thats a very misleading way of saying it! "Load" normally refers to
when a component is working hard, i.e. as opposed to "idle".

What I mean is the increase - over and above normal "load" - caused by
overclocking.

Chip.

Larry L.
October 7th 04, 10:43 PM
Are some of those numbers a bit high? I just read an article that talked
about the 6800 cards using about 35 watts less than that page shows (i.e.
the low 70's for the Ultra instead of 110.)

Thanks,

Larry

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>
> > With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
> > test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your
> > computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor,
> > CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the same problem
> > while sucking less juice from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.
>

> Much easier to go here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/24zoz
>

> regards
>
> @ndrew

Larry L.
October 7th 04, 10:47 PM
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> CapFusion wrote:

> > PSU.
> > >

> > > Much easier to go here:
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/24zoz
> > >

> > That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak
> > but should not take it as a true answer.
> >
> > CapFusion,...
>

> It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in load
> to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10% is my
> best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

But you should also consider that you'll never be using EVERY component at
its peak load at once. For example, you'd never use a CD, DVD, floppy, and
all USB and firewire devices all at the same time.

Larry

@ndrew
October 8th 04, 03:47 AM
Chip wrote:

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> > Chip wrote:

> an >> easy >> >> test... unplug everything except what you need to
> boot up >> your >> >> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse,
> keyboard, >> monitor, >> >> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game...
> if you get the >> same problem >> >> while sucking less juice from
> the PSU then you >> know its not the >> PSU.

> ballpak >> >> but should not take it as a true answer.

> in >> > load to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and
> add 10% >> > is my best guesstimate on correct power supply
> requirements.
> > >
> >> Having just looked at it in more detail, the other crucial thing it
> >> doesn't take into account is the increased power consumption when
> >> overclocking. For example, although the Athlon XP is supposed to
> >> draw around 60~70w, it can easily go over 100w if you overclock it
> a >> little. Start to put 1.85v and 2200MHz+ through it and you'll
> soon >> be over 100w. Similarly GF6800's. A GT may be "only" 105w,
> but not >> when its run a 1.4v bios patch and 440MHz! Its probably
> nearer >> 130~140w then.
> > >
> >> Chip
> >

> > This is what I meant by load o)
> >

> Well thats a very misleading way of saying it! "Load" normally
> refers to when a component is working hard, i.e. as opposed to "idle".
>
> What I mean is the increase - over and above normal "load" - caused
> by overclocking.
>
> Chip.

Not misleading at all:

http://tinyurl.com/4jpue

regards

@ndrew

Chip
October 8th 04, 08:56 AM
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:

>> an >> easy >> >> test... unplug everything except what you need to
>> boot up >> your >> >> computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse,
>> keyboard, >> monitor, >> >> CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game...
>> if you get the >> same problem >> >> while sucking less juice from
>> the PSU then you >> know its not the >> PSU.

>> ballpak >> >> but should not take it as a true answer.

>> in >> > load to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and
>> add 10% >> > is my best guesstimate on correct power supply
>> requirements.

>> a >> little. Start to put 1.85v and 2200MHz+ through it and you'll
>> soon >> be over 100w. Similarly GF6800's. A GT may be "only" 105w,
>> but not >> when its run a 1.4v bios patch and 440MHz! Its probably
>> nearer >> 130~140w then.

>> > This is what I meant by load o)
>> >

>> Well thats a very misleading way of saying it! "Load" normally
>> refers to when a component is working hard, i.e. as opposed to "idle".
>>
>> What I mean is the increase - over and above normal "load" - caused
>> by overclocking.
>>
>> Chip.
>
> Not misleading at all:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4jpue
>
> regards

Thats *precisely* my point. Where in that definition does it mention
*overclocking*?

Everyone understands what "load" means in the context of computers. My
point is that the heat output increases significantly irrespective of the
load, when you overclock.

When you say "That's what I meant by load", I really don't think the word
load expains that at all!

Anyway, none of this matters. Lets not fall out over it.

Cheers

Chip

Chip
October 8th 04, 09:02 AM
"Larry L." > wrote in message

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
>> CapFusion wrote:

>> > PSU.

>> > That is a nice link. It just an estimate or general idea / ballpak
>> > but should not take it as a true answer.
>> >
>> > CapFusion,...
>>

>> It is pretty accurate ... however what it does not do is factor in load
>> to the equation. Take the end figure it gives you and add 10% is my
>> best guesstimate on correct power supply requirements.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> @ndrew
>
> But you should also consider that you'll never be using EVERY component at
> its peak load at once. For example, you'd never use a CD, DVD, floppy,
> and
> all USB and firewire devices all at the same time.
>
> Larry

Good point. But on the other hand, the CD, floppy etc are all small fry in
the overall scheme of things. The real issue is if your graphics card
starts pulling 120w and your CPU starts pulling 100w (both of which are not
unreasonable) and your disks are pulling another 50w (say). 270w all at the
same time all off the 12v rail. Its not a cakewalk!

Chip

jahindie
October 9th 04, 08:41 AM
Ok everyone I bought a 480W Antec PSU and a surge protector and the
problem has stopped. NO MORE ARTIFACTING!!! It might just be me but it
seems as if the components of my machine are running a lot better with
the new PSU. Thanks for all the feedback & help!!

"Chip" > wrote in message >...
> "Brenden D. Chase" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
> > test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your computer
> > and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive) Then
> > start up the game... if you get the same problem while sucking less juice
> > from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.
> >
> > --Brenden
>
> A good idea, except that it may not reveal the problem. A P4 at 3 GHz might
> easily be consuming 70w and the GF6800 overclocked could take up to perhaps
> 120w. At 12v that's 16A, without anything else plugged in! So it might
> fail even with everything else disconnected.
>
> Chip

CapFusion
October 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Ahhh,.... a good might PSU or will fix most of the problem.

CapFusion,...

"jahindie" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok everyone I bought a 480W Antec PSU and a surge protector and the
> problem has stopped. NO MORE ARTIFACTING!!! It might just be me but it
> seems as if the components of my machine are running a lot better with
> the new PSU. Thanks for all the feedback & help!!
>
> "Chip" > wrote in message
>> "Brenden D. Chase" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
>> > test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your computer
>> > and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive)
>> > Then
>> > start up the game... if you get the same problem while sucking less
>> > juice
>> > from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.
>> >
>> > --Brenden
>>
>> A good idea, except that it may not reveal the problem. A P4 at 3 GHz
>> might
>> easily be consuming 70w and the GF6800 overclocked could take up to
>> perhaps
>> 120w. At 12v that's 16A, without anything else plugged in! So it might
>> fail even with everything else disconnected.
>>
>> Chip

Bser
October 11th 04, 10:35 PM
(jahindie) wrote in message >...
> Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
> overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
> much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
> doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
> Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
> recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
> can do to fix things. Here are my specs
>
> P4 3.0 Ghz
> 1gig DDR-ram
> asus p4p800-E
> 2 HD
> 1 DVD+/- burner
> 1 DVD-Rom
>
> 1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
> because of the effects of SP2 with my card. 2) So i need a more
> powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
> online is just not enough. 3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
> Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
> 6800 GT right now. 4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
> house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
> a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
> account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
> dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
> for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
> only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
> mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!
>
> thanks again

I am having the same graphic issues. Specs are nearly the same but I
do have a 400w PS and the standard 6800 non ultra/gt. I have tried
mutiple things and searched all over the internet. I have a feeling
its a issue with the Asus MBD. I do not overclock the card.

I am hoping someone finds the problem and posts the fix cause I have
tried everything short of replacing the MBD. Which btw works fine with
other video cards.

CapFusion
October 13th 04, 12:52 AM
If you do not mind your PC might get mess-up.
Try removing all component card and any onboard [built-in device] and just
have the graphic card and sound device only.
Boot up to windows and try your game and see if problem still remain.
If problem still remain, swap card to difference slot and see if that make
any difference.

Or you can simply redo your Windows from scratch. This time around install
only one component at a time. Starting with your graphic card.

CapFusion,...

om...