PDA

View Full Version : 9800 pro or 6800 vanilla

homeboi
October 4th 04, 01:00 AM
its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
OC?

Nicolai
October 4th 04, 06:13 AM
> its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800

6800 - anytime.

Glitch
October 4th 04, 08:42 AM
Nicolai wrote:
>>its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
>

> 6800 - anytime.

Even though I like ATI far more than nVidia I have to say you buy a
6800.It's far better than a 9800 just because it's a new generation
videocard.
If you have the cash I'd recomend an X800 PRO,cause even though nVidia
wins in DOOM 3,ATI cards are better in everything else.

Chip
October 4th 04, 12:11 PM
"Glitch" > wrote in message
> Nicolai wrote:
>>>its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
>>

>> 6800 - anytime.
> Even though I like ATI far more than nVidia I have to say you buy a
> 6800.It's far better than a 9800 just because it's a new generation
> videocard.
> If you have the cash I'd recomend an X800 PRO,cause even though nVidia
> wins in DOOM 3,ATI cards are better in everything else.

Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.

Chip

NightSky 421
October 4th 04, 03:17 PM
"Chip" > wrote in message

> Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
> 6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
> significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
> more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.
>
> Chip

As much as I hate nVidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program, I have
to agree, as do a number of magazines. Although the X800 Pro is a good
card, it's difficult to recommend over a 6800GT at the same price.

Chip
October 4th 04, 03:24 PM
"NightSky 421" > wrote in message
> "Chip" > wrote in message
>>
>> Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
>> 6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
>> significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
>> more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.
>>
>> Chip
>>

> As much as I hate nVidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program, I
> have
> to agree, as do a number of magazines. Although the X800 Pro is a good
> card, it's difficult to recommend over a 6800GT at the same price.

I agree. I think the only "hope" if you must buy an X800 Pro is to buy the
Vivo version and to flash it to open up all 16 pipes. Then it gets more
interesting. But not everyone is happy flashing a new $300 card.

Chip

First of One
October 5th 04, 03:42 AM
A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
RivaTuner? :-)

"homeboi" > wrote in message
> its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
> OC?

Mark Leuck
October 6th 04, 01:51 AM
Don't you mean all 16?

"First of One" > wrote in message
> A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
> RivaTuner? :-)

> "homeboi" > wrote in message
> > its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG
6800
> > OC?

First of One
October 6th 04, 02:52 AM
Indeed, I stand corrected: all 16.

The Polish Tyskie beer is strong...

"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Don't you mean all 16?
>

> "First of One" > wrote in message
> > A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
> > RivaTuner? :-)
> >
> > --
> > "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> > It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> > bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >

> > "homeboi" > wrote in message
> > > its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG
> 6800
> > > OC?

mikere
October 8th 04, 02:14 AM
homeboi > wrote in message
> its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
> OC?

If you plan on gaming under Linux at all, I couldn't recomment ATI at this
time. I've been a long time fan of ATI, however, I'm finding them to be
extremely limited on their Linux driver support. Here's hoping this changes
in the next month or so - I hear id software had some suggestions on how to
fix a number of problems.

I'd go for the 6800. It has great performance under both OS's. If you can
get them both at the same price, I think it's a no brainer. You might want
to check one of the video card roundups at tomshardware.com if there are any
specific uses you wanted to compare them for.

Piet Pompie
October 8th 04, 05:00 PM
"First of One" > wrote in message >...
> A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
> RivaTuner? :-)

What suggested the 70%?
My impression is that the chance is more like .7%.
I think I read on Bjorn3D of 200 attempts with single digit success
reports.

I tried RivaTuner on my Winfast A400 (6800). The pipes stayed masked.
My brother took a soldiering iron to it. The hardmod didn't work
either.
I flashed about 6 different BIOS images. Didn't work.
I got artifacts, one black screen and a GT BIOS that caused the card
to snow for a couple of hours before I got it back from the dead.

Here's the switches I used to force flashes:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 bios.rom
wfflash NM bios.rom

Come on...
You know you want to!

(At least if you had to buy a card twice it would be cheaper the
second time)

CapFusion
October 8th 04, 07:41 PM
"Piet Pompie" > wrote in message
m...
> "First of One" > wrote in message
>> A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
>> RivaTuner? :-)
>
> What suggested the 70%?
> My impression is that the chance is more like .7%.
> I think I read on Bjorn3D of 200 attempts with single digit success
> reports.
>
> I tried RivaTuner on my Winfast A400 (6800). The pipes stayed masked.
> My brother took a soldiering iron to it. The hardmod didn't work
> either.
> I flashed about 6 different BIOS images. Didn't work.
> I got artifacts, one black screen and a GT BIOS that caused the card
> to snow for a couple of hours before I got it back from the dead.
>
> Here's the switches I used to force flashes:
>
> nvflash -4 -5 -6 bios.rom
> wfflash NM bios.rom
>
> Come on...
> You know you want to!
>
> (At least if you had to buy a card twice it would be cheaper the
> second time)

I would simply return the card or have it RMA / exchange.
Buying a card at second time around does not cost cheaper. It cost more due
to the first cost plus the second cost.
First cost + second cost = may or might get the latest model [maybe
6800Ultra (?)]

CapFusion,...

Piet Pompie
October 10th 04, 10:39 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message >...
> A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
> RivaTuner? :-)

I see now. The new RivaTuner can override hardware masks.
Thank you, it works now.

First of One
October 11th 04, 04:37 PM
Cool. For many people, 6800 vanilla is the only choice, due to limited
availability of the Ultra and GT...

. com...