PDA

View Full Version : GF5600 recognized as 5900: problems

Sjoerd
September 30th 04, 02:54 PM
I've got a GF5600, but somehow XP recognizes it as a 5900. i just installed
the latest detanator, but it still thinks it's a 5900.

Is it possible to change this ? how ?

Thanks for any answers !!

oh, i think this is a problem because when i play the game 'Shellshock: 'nam
67' at random moments the screen freezes for a couple of sec's and then my
entire computer shuts down. when i fire it back up again, XP tells me it
recovered from a serious crash caused by my GF5900 (which i dont have).

Help me !

Thanks !

Sjoerd
September 30th 04, 03:08 PM
Let me alter that question.

I went to look for info on my mobo and found out that i DO have a GF5900

Can someone please answer the question concerning the hard crash during
gameplay described below?

Thanks

system specs:

mobo: Asus P4P800SE
Club3D GF 5900 FX (128mb)
P4 3.2 Ghz
768 DDR
Hercules Muse 5.1 sound

"Sjoerd" > schreef in bericht
> I've got a GF5600, but somehow XP recognizes it as a 5900. i just
installed
> the latest detanator, but it still thinks it's a 5900.
>
> Is it possible to change this ? how ?
>
> Thanks for any answers !!
>
> oh, i think this is a problem because when i play the game 'Shellshock:
'nam
> 67' at random moments the screen freezes for a couple of sec's and then my
> entire computer shuts down. when i fire it back up again, XP tells me it
> recovered from a serious crash caused by my GF5900 (which i dont have).
>
> Help me !
>
> Thanks !

John Lewis
September 30th 04, 08:50 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:08:05 +0200, "Sjoerd" > wrote:

>Let me alter that question.
>
>I went to look for info on my mobo and found out that i DO have a GF5900

You are so lucky.... Like winning $100 in a lottery.

>Can someone please answer the question concerning the hard crash during
>gameplay described below?

In order, one of the following:-

1. If running a 3.2 Prescott, check your power-supply label for AT
LEAST 18 Amps total available @ +12V. You might be able to get
away with 18 amps if you have just one hard-disk, a single
DVD/CD-ROM ( no burners ). no other peripherals or cards requiring

+12V AND NO OVERCLOCKING OF EITHER GPU or CPU.

If your BIOS allows manual underclocking of the CPU, that will
reduce the +12V current-consumption; youcould experiment with
that that to see if the problem goes away or reduces in
frequency. For a 3.2 Northwood, 16-17 amps should
be OK with minimal peripherals.

2. Overtemperature. Open the nVidia Temperature Setting screen
on desktop and leave open (assuming, of course that your 5900 XT
board has temp-monitoring - many XTs don't ). Start game in full
3D mode. After 2-3 minutes Alt-tab out of game and IMMEDIATELY
read the temperature . Temp should be no higher than 75 degrees.
C. If no on-card temp monitoring, take side off case and direct a
desk-fan at the 5900 board and see if the fault incidence reduces
or disappears.

3. Faulty FX5900XT. Never heard of the vendor...........

John Lewis

>Thanks
>

>system specs:
>
>mobo: Asus P4P800SE
>Club3D GF 5900 FX (128mb)
>P4 3.2 Ghz
>768 DDR
>Hercules Muse 5.1 sound
>
>"Sjoerd" > schreef in bericht
>> I've got a GF5600, but somehow XP recognizes it as a 5900. i just
>installed
>> the latest detanator, but it still thinks it's a 5900.
>>
>> Is it possible to change this ? how ?
>>
>> Thanks for any answers !!
>>
>> oh, i think this is a problem because when i play the game 'Shellshock:
>'nam
>> 67' at random moments the screen freezes for a couple of sec's and then my
>> entire computer shuts down. when i fire it back up again, XP tells me it
>> recovered from a serious crash caused by my GF5900 (which i dont have).
>>
>> Help me !
>>
>> Thanks !

Sjoerd
October 2nd 04, 03:42 PM
First off, let me thank you for your answer !

"John Lewis" > schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:08:05 +0200, "Sjoerd" > wrote:
>
> >Let me alter that question.
> >
> >I went to look for info on my mobo and found out that i DO have a GF5900
> >

> You are so lucky.... Like winning $100 in a lottery.
>

> >Can someone please answer the question concerning the hard crash during
> >gameplay described below?
> >

> In order, one of the following:-
>
> 1. If running a 3.2 Prescott, check your power-supply label for AT
> LEAST 18 Amps total available @ +12V. You might be able to get
> away with 18 amps if you have just one hard-disk, a single
> DVD/CD-ROM ( no burners ). no other peripherals or cards requiring
>
> +12V AND NO OVERCLOCKING OF EITHER GPU or CPU.
>
> If your BIOS allows manual underclocking of the CPU, that will
> reduce the +12V current-consumption; youcould experiment with
> that that to see if the problem goes away or reduces in
> frequency. For a 3.2 Northwood, 16-17 amps should
> be OK with minimal peripherals.

I'm afraid i have no idea what a Prescott is. Although i have a dvd burner
and cd burner, i only have one HD (WD 160 Gb) and a custom HUGE
powersupply-thingy. I don't overclock either my GPU or my CPU.

> 2. Overtemperature. Open the nVidia Temperature Setting screen
> on desktop and leave open (assuming, of course that your 5900 XT
> board has temp-monitoring - many XTs don't ). Start game in full
> 3D mode. After 2-3 minutes Alt-tab out of game and IMMEDIATELY
> read the temperature . Temp should be no higher than 75 degrees.
> C. If no on-card temp monitoring, take side off case and direct a
> desk-fan at the 5900 board and see if the fault incidence reduces
> or disappears.

I've been playing for a while and switched back to the nvidia advanced
settings/temp monitor, but it didn't rise above 61 degr. C.

> 3. Faulty FX5900XT. Never heard of the vendor...........

I thought it was a pretty respected graph card vendor :
http://www.club-3d.com/ , although i have to admit i'm absolutely no
expert...

> John Lewis

The thing is that playing other games, Doom3 or Rome: Total War for
instance, i have no problem what so ever.

maybe it's just the game ? ( http://www.shellshockgame.com/ )

Anyway thanks for your help...