PDA

View Full Version : Looks not so good for Nvidia drivers..


Steven K
September 29th 04, 03:05 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

JTS
September 29th 04, 03:22 AM
So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.



"Steven K" > wrote in message
...
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>
>
>

twobirds
September 29th 04, 03:51 AM
Steven K wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long as your
favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half of my nVidia
boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems. I would imagine
more than a couple of people would be the same...

Steven K
September 29th 04, 04:07 AM
"twobirds" > wrote in message

> Steven K wrote:
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>
> I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long as
> your favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half of my
> nVidia boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems. I would
> imagine more than a couple of people would be the same...

The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer - then
what? Nvidia pulling out of Windows? - or betta writing compliant drivers.
What's wrong with writing compliant drivers?

:-)

twobirds
September 29th 04, 05:05 AM
Steven K wrote:
> "twobirds" > wrote in message
>
>> Steven K wrote:
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long
>> as your favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half
>> of my nVidia boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems.
>> I would imagine more than a couple of people would be the same...
>
> The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer -
> then what? Nvidia pulling out of Windows? - or betta writing
> compliant drivers. What's wrong with writing compliant drivers?

I don't see that happening in the near future. There are too many devices
still in service that were manufactured before w2k or xp. There are still
too many designs in use for the X86 architecture that will never have WHQL
drivers (see 35 or 40% of all voice modems for an example) How many
software designers assume that all devices their software interacts with
will always have WHQL drivers? 5%? 3%? Less? In the realm ov video
cards: As long as OpenGL and other renderers exist, WHQL drivers for video
boards will be somewhat meaningless because M$oft can't completely capture
the whole 3D market with D3D/DirectX. Until M$oft has 100% of the 3D and 2D
market tied up in their incarnations of it, they can't even try to release
an OS that will require 100% WHQL drivers for every device.

Predator
September 29th 04, 05:18 AM
>
> The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer -
an opinion of the clueless. Do you realize how many developers write custom
drivers that don't need certification? it would be a coup to not allow non
certified drivers

robin.gordon1
September 29th 04, 09:34 PM
I have to agree with the line of thought that WHQL aren't worth the page
they're write on. lots of non certified drivers abound out there and even
the likes of Intel have a lot of equipment with non-certified drivers.
with revisions of drivers coming out in such small time frames then
certification just cant be waited on.

Robin

CapFusion
September 29th 04, 09:58 PM
"robin.gordon1" > wrote in message
...
>I have to agree with the line of thought that WHQL aren't worth the page
>they're write on. lots of non certified drivers abound out there and even
>the likes of Intel have a lot of equipment with non-certified drivers.
> with revisions of drivers coming out in such small time frames then
> certification just cant be waited on.
>
> Robin

WHQL maybe not worth the weight it written on but it an indication that it
is certified to be working or up to the standard or such.

CapFusion,...

John Lewis
September 30th 04, 10:29 AM
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:22:31 -0400, "JTS" > wrote:

>So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.
>
>

Nothing. More of the usual Inquirer garbage.
The gutter magazine for illiterate nerds.

Check the official archives on the nVidia website.

For example, see:-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

and click on each entry to view the driver page. WHQL
status is clearly listed.

For the last 4 nVidia official releases only the latest (61.77) is
non-WHQL. 61.76 is WHQL... and the only reason why
61.77 is non-WHQL is that good ole M$$$$ does not have
a DX9.0c test-suite !!

The Inquirer must be counting leaked beta releases or
interim releases of incompletely-QC'd versions from
nVidia partners.

Anyway WHQL means nothing. 56.64 WHQL crashed
my video editor ( Adobe Premiere ) - went back to faithful
53.04. 56.72 WHQL released 2 weeks later ran fine ----
at least somebody in nVidia QC was awake, unlike the
sloppily-tested-on-real-applications-and-released-
every-three-weeks Ati drivers. Ati motto must be: Pass
WHQL and to h**l with regression-QC on real applications.
Easy to have a moron run the driver mechanically through
the WHQL tests. Needs brains to effectively carry out
regression-testing.

Remember the Ati/Thief3 driver fiasco ? Took them at least
5 driver releases to fix the Thief 3 shadows............
( fixed yet ?? )

John Lewis


>"Steven K" > wrote in message
...
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>>
>>
>>
>
>

James Douglas
October 1st 04, 01:17 AM
I just bought a GeForce FX 5200, installed it correctly,
installed the
latest drivers for it from nVidia's site, and NONE of my 3D
games work.
My screen goes black or just freezes the entire computer up
just as they
start. I've got an Athlon 800MHz CPU, 384 megs of on board
SDRAM
(PC-100). I cannot figure this one out! N E CLUES? I'm
running a
Soundblaster Live on this as well. Also, where are the
settings for
Direct Draw and OpenGL? One other thing too: When I go into
the DirectX
diagnostics, it freezes on DirectDraw.
:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:22:31 -0400, "JTS" >
wrote:
>
>>So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.
>>
>>
>
> Nothing. More of the usual Inquirer garbage.
> The gutter magazine for illiterate nerds.
>
> Check the official archives on the nVidia website.
>
> For example, see:-
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
>
> and click on each entry to view the driver page. WHQL
> status is clearly listed.
>
> For the last 4 nVidia official releases only the latest
(61.77) is
> non-WHQL. 61.76 is WHQL... and the only reason why
> 61.77 is non-WHQL is that good ole M$$$$ does not have
> a DX9.0c test-suite !!
>
> The Inquirer must be counting leaked beta releases or
> interim releases of incompletely-QC'd versions from
> nVidia partners.
>
> Anyway WHQL means nothing. 56.64 WHQL crashed
> my video editor ( Adobe Premiere ) - went back to faithful
> 53.04. 56.72 WHQL released 2 weeks later ran fine ----
> at least somebody in nVidia QC was awake, unlike the
> sloppily-tested-on-real-applications-and-released-
> every-three-weeks Ati drivers. Ati motto must be: Pass
> WHQL and to h**l with regression-QC on real applications.
> Easy to have a moron run the driver mechanically through
> the WHQL tests. Needs brains to effectively carry out
> regression-testing.
>
> Remember the Ati/Thief3 driver fiasco ? Took them at least
> 5 driver releases to fix the Thief 3 shadows............
> ( fixed yet ?? )
>
> John Lewis
>
>
>>"Steven K" > wrote in message
...
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>


__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

John Lewis
October 1st 04, 10:13 AM
On 1 Oct 2004 00:17:59 GMT, James Douglas >
wrote:

>
>I just bought a GeForce FX 5200, installed it correctly,
>installed the
>latest drivers for it from nVidia's site, and NONE of my 3D
>games work.
>My screen goes black or just freezes the entire computer up
>just as they
>start. I've got an Athlon 800MHz CPU, 384 megs of on board
>SDRAM
>(PC-100). I cannot figure this one out! N E CLUES? I'm
>running a
>Soundblaster Live on this as well. Also, where are the
>settings for
>Direct Draw and OpenGL? One other thing too: When I go into
>the DirectX
>diagnostics, it freezes on DirectDraw.
:

Did you completely remove the driver for your previous card
by dropping to "PCI VGA" mode (16-color, 640x480)
BEFORE removing the old card ?? If not, you probably
have a corrupted driver installation --
Download Driver Cleaner from www.driverheaven.com
AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY
CAREFULLY. Save a System Restore point before you
start.

If still no joy with the driver after a pass of Driver Cleaner
and a driver re-install, then load driver 53.03 ( or 53.04)
from the nVidia archives and try again. I have a FX 5200
which ran perfectly with 53.04 (and 45.23 if I recall correctly ) .
Have not used it for a while, so cannot vouch for its compatibility
with 61.76/77. BTW 61.77 is only compatible with DirectX
9.0c. You must use 61.76 for DirectX9.0b.

The SBLive! does not share interrupts well. However,
if you did not move it to another slot when changing
video cards then it is unlikely to be the problem.

John Lewis

>
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:22:31 -0400, "JTS" >
>wrote:
>>
>>>So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Nothing. More of the usual Inquirer garbage.
>> The gutter magazine for illiterate nerds.
>>
>> Check the official archives on the nVidia website.
>>
>> For example, see:-
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
>>
>> and click on each entry to view the driver page. WHQL
>> status is clearly listed.
>>
>> For the last 4 nVidia official releases only the latest
>(61.77) is
>> non-WHQL. 61.76 is WHQL... and the only reason why
>> 61.77 is non-WHQL is that good ole M$$$$ does not have
>> a DX9.0c test-suite !!
>>
>> The Inquirer must be counting leaked beta releases or
>> interim releases of incompletely-QC'd versions from
>> nVidia partners.
>>
>> Anyway WHQL means nothing. 56.64 WHQL crashed
>> my video editor ( Adobe Premiere ) - went back to faithful
>> 53.04. 56.72 WHQL released 2 weeks later ran fine ----
>> at least somebody in nVidia QC was awake, unlike the
>> sloppily-tested-on-real-applications-and-released-
>> every-three-weeks Ati drivers. Ati motto must be: Pass
>> WHQL and to h**l with regression-QC on real applications.
>> Easy to have a moron run the driver mechanically through
>> the WHQL tests. Needs brains to effectively carry out
>> regression-testing.
>>
>> Remember the Ati/Thief3 driver fiasco ? Took them at least
>> 5 driver releases to fix the Thief 3 shadows............
>> ( fixed yet ?? )
>>
>> John Lewis
>>
>>
>>>"Steven K" > wrote in message
...
>>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>__________________________________________________ _____________________________
>Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
>