PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 9.0c

Adam Bennett
September 18th 04, 02:06 PM
Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
Win98 RIVA TNT2?

Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.

Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
release the new update?

PRIVATE1964
September 18th 04, 04:17 PM
>Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
>Win98 RIVA TNT2?
>
>Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
>
>Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
>release the new update?

I have never seen drivers that were specific for a different DirectX version.
The drivers should work fine with any version IMO.

Adam Bennett
September 18th 04, 05:16 PM
Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I can't
get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c

Doh!

The Windows XP verion supports 9.0c but the Win98 version doesn't :-(

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
> >Win98 RIVA TNT2?
> >
> >Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
> >
> >Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
> >release the new update?
> >

> I have never seen drivers that were specific for a different DirectX
version.
> The drivers should work fine with any version IMO.

GLYTCH
September 18th 04, 05:36 PM
Adam Bennett wrote:
> Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I
> can't get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c
>
> Doh!
>
> The Windows XP verion supports 9.0c but the Win98 version doesn't :-(

Try 61.77

Matt

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH

PRIVATE1964
September 18th 04, 05:40 PM
>Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I can't
>get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c

They probably just put that there because the 9.0c version had not come out
yet.

I don't even believe there are any games out that require 9.0c yet so why do
you think you need that version anyway? Your TNT does not even have any support
for DirectX9 features. So having DirectX 9 does nothing for your card. Unless a
game specifically requires a certain version to be installed.

Which game requires 9.0c?

Just because the drivers for Win98 only list DirectX 9.0b does not mean they
won't work OK with 9.0c. They should work fine. It won't effect your card as
far as features are concerned because your card doesn't even have DirectX 9
features.

Am I understanding what your saying right?

Les
September 18th 04, 08:44 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I
> >can't
>>get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c
>>

> They probably just put that there because the 9.0c version had not come
> out
> yet.
>
> I don't even believe there are any games out that require 9.0c yet so why
> do
> you think you need that version anyway? Your TNT does not even have any
> support
> for DirectX9 features. So having DirectX 9 does nothing for your card.
> Unless a
> game specifically requires a certain version to be installed.
>
> Which game requires 9.0c?

sims 2

> Just because the drivers for Win98 only list DirectX 9.0b does not mean
> they
> won't work OK with 9.0c. They should work fine. It won't effect your card
> as
> far as features are concerned because your card doesn't even have DirectX
> 9
> features.
>
> Am I understanding what your saying right?

Biz
September 18th 04, 09:03 PM
If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

"Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in message
> Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
> Win98 RIVA TNT2?
>
> Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
>
> Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
> release the new update?

Adam Bennett
September 18th 04, 09:12 PM
The game is Sims 2 and it says on the box it supports win98.

"Biz" > wrote in message
> If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
> it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
> DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?
>

> "Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in message
> > Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
> > Win98 RIVA TNT2?
> >
> > Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
> >
> > Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they
will
> > release the new update?

Les
September 18th 04, 09:37 PM
"CeeBee" > wrote in message
. 6.83...
> "Les" > wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
>
>> "PRIVATE1964" > wrote
>>> Which game requires 9.0c?
>>>

>> sims 2
>

> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
>
> There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
> the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:
>
> If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:
>
> * 2.0 GHz processor or better
> * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
> * At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
>
> Which might be a problem for the OP.

My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

Phil
September 18th 04, 10:30 PM
"Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in message
> The game is Sims 2 and it says on the box it supports win98.

Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en

If you have this installed then it should work...

PRIVATE1964
September 19th 04, 01:18 AM
>My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
>on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

I could understand that because some games require a certain DirectX version,
but it shouldn't matter to your video card because your video card doesn't have
any DirectX9 features.

You should be able to install DirectX 9.0c with your current drivers and the
game should run OK. Your current drivers don't really care about the extra
features in DirectX 9 because it doesn't have them anyway. The game probably
requires DirectX 9 because it will use certain features of DirectX 9 if your
video card supports those features.

PRIVATE1964
September 19th 04, 01:20 AM
>If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
>it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
>DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video cards
support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.

PRIVATE1964
September 19th 04, 01:21 AM
>Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

Most of the time they put it on the game CD.

Ron
September 19th 04, 04:34 PM
"Les" > wrote in message ...

> "CeeBee" > wrote in message
> . 6.83...
> > "Les" > wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
> >
> >> "PRIVATE1964" > wrote
> >>>

> >> sims 2
> >

> > http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
> >
> > There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
> > the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:
> >
> > If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:
> >
> > * 2.0 GHz processor or better
> > * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
> > * At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
> >
> > Which might be a problem for the OP.
>
> My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
> on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

Agreed. I had 9.0b on all my machines and could not install Sims2 until I
had loaded 9.0c.

Ron

Ron
September 19th 04, 04:37 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?
>
> Most of the time they put it on the game CD.

Yep. DX9c IS on the CD.

Ron

Ron
September 19th 04, 04:38 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be
playing
> >it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example,
doesnt
> >DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?
>
> I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video
cards
> support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.

Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.

Ron

Adam Bennett
September 19th 04, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for 40 I can get
GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

"CeeBee" > wrote in message
. 6.83...
> "Les" > wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
>
> > My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it
> > insisted on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.
>

> I stand corrected about that.
>
> In that case install 9c - it's probably on the game CD - or else from
> the MS site and the game will run. Your card won't use any feature from
> any DX9 version, however. As said by others already , there's no need to
> install DX9 compliant drivers when a card does not support it. Just
> install 9c and the game will run if your hardware specs are up to par.
>

> --
> CeeBee
>

> Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
> T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."
>

> Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
> Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
> since I have been back."

Adam Bennett
September 19th 04, 06:57 PM
Here here, too true! Even gonna give that evil mr gates some more dosh too!
Doh!
There comes a time when you know you just have to upgrade....had some good
times wiht the TNT but i think rather than fully retire the TNT I'll palm it
off to my sister, where it wont get the abuse I gave it!

"CeeBee" > wrote in message
. 6.74...
> "Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in
> alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
>
> > Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the
> > problem. I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway.
>
> Good decision I think. You've had your fun with the TNT and it's time for
> the retirement home. :)
>

> --
> CeeBee
>

> Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
> T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."
>

> Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
> Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
> since I have been back."

PRIVATE1964
September 19th 04, 10:58 PM

>Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.
>
>Ron

That's what I meant. They print that on the box and that's what you need to
have.

PRIVATE1964
September 19th 04, 11:00 PM

>Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
>I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
>installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for 40 I can get
>GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
>much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

Your not buying a new video card now after we went through all the trouble of
helping you. If you do were gonna track you down and beat the living tar out of
you. Even if that means tearing you away from the Sims 2. : )

Adam Bennett
September 20th 04, 05:43 PM
What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.

However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat all
ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p

Cheer for all the ideas though!

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message

> >Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
> >I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX
9.0c
> >installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for 40 I can get
> >GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just
too
> >much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!
>
> Your not buying a new video card now after we went through all the trouble
of
> helping you. If you do were gonna track you down and beat the living tar
out of
> you. Even if that means tearing you away from the Sims 2. : )

CapFusion
September 20th 04, 07:50 PM
"Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in message
> What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
> card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
> It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
> suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.
>
> However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat
> all
> ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p
>
> Cheer for all the ideas though!

Good thing you upgrading to a better card. GF TNT / RIVA do not seem to be
support or listing in Sim2. The lowest version is GF2.

CapFusion,...

PRIVATE1964
September 21st 04, 03:03 AM

>What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
>card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
>It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
>suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.
>
>However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat all
>ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p
>
>Cheer for all the ideas though!

I think it will work just not very well. I've been reading that Sims 2 seems to
require a lot of power to run well.

John Wojcicki
September 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
9.0c comes with SP2