PDA

View Full Version : Re: Annoying screen blanking

Egil Solberg
September 14th 04, 10:20 PM
Paul Hurley wrote:
> I have a GeForce4 MX 4000 with the latest driver (6.14.10.6176)
> connected to an analog display at 1280x1024 and 32bit resolution on a
> WinXP Pro box. Certain operations cause the screen to blank out,
> momentarily, to black. Right-clicking an AVI file in Explorer blanks
> the screen just before the menu appears. Clicking the Advanced button
> in the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog does it too.

Have you made any override settings for refresh rate or set up any special
resolutions in control panel?

> Is there a setting or work around for this annoying problem?

When not selecting an override refresh rate for D3D/OpenGL for my desktop
resolution, I got away with one extra blink at each bootup, which was
acceptable, but it's not acceptable that I cannot override my desktop
resolution in games without this behaviour.
With my Ti4200 i have always reverted back to 45.23 avoiding this behaviour.
I cannot understand that nvidia allows this. Screen blanking should only
occur when there is an actual change in display mode, not just "for fun" as
nvidia does things now.

Mac Cool
September 15th 04, 02:38 AM
Paul Hurley:

> I have a GeForce4 MX 4000 with the latest driver (6.14.10.6176)
> connected to an analog display at 1280x1024 and 32bit resolution on a
> WinXP Pro box. Certain operations cause the screen to blank out,
> momentarily, to black. Right-clicking an AVI file in Explorer blanks
> the screen just before the menu appears. Clicking the Advanced button
> in the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog does it too.
>
> Is there a setting or work around for this annoying problem?

I have had this problem with both a Ti4200 and now a 5900xt. I have
posted on several newsgroups and on Anandtech.com and no one has an
explanation or a cure. The problem is getting worse. It used to blank
for just a moment, but now occasionally it lasts 2-3 seconds and the
monitor comes back either brighter or dimmer. I can force it to happen
by right clicking on large avi files but it also happens seemingly
randomly.

It has nothing to do with drivers or operating systems, it happens in
Windows XP, it also happens when booted with a Dr. DOS disk and when
booted with Knoppix.

Tonight I am replacing the power supply and if that doesn't help I'm
going to buy a UPS because I suspect my outlets aren't outputting enough
voltage.
--
Mac Cool

Kevin
September 18th 04, 05:04 AM
Check out the registry hack located here:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t117062.html

It worked for my FX5200/61.77 drivers. I actually noticed it when I
was beta testing XP SP2 and blamed the service pack, but that's not
the issue. I *think* I was seeing this on the previous set of drivers
as well, but I can't remember.

You can prove it's the video driver if you disable the card in Device
Manager and reboot.

Kevin

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:10:21 -0400, Paul Hurley
> wrote:

>I have a GeForce4 MX 4000 with the latest driver (6.14.10.6176)
>connected to an analog display at 1280x1024 and 32bit resolution on a
>WinXP Pro box. Certain operations cause the screen to blank out,
>momentarily, to black. Right-clicking an AVI file in Explorer blanks
>the screen just before the menu appears. Clicking the Advanced button
>in the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog does it too.
>
>Is there a setting or work around for this annoying problem?
>
>Paul
>
>----
>Paul Hurley
>Caliban Computing
>http://www.Caliban.com/
>Spam resistant return email address.

Mac Cool
September 18th 04, 06:18 AM
Kevin:

> Check out the registry hack located here:
>
> http://www.techimo.com/forum/t117062.html
<snip>
> You can prove it's the video driver if you disable the card in Device
> Manager and reboot.

I'll try it, but it doesn't explain why it also happens under Linux and
Dr. DOS; maybe I have two different issues. Anyway, I'll try it and report
back.
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool
September 19th 04, 04:57 AM
Mac Cool:

> Kevin:
>
>> Check out the registry hack located here:
>>
>> http://www.techimo.com/forum/t117062.html
> <snip>
>> You can prove it's the video driver if you disable the card in
>> Device Manager and reboot.
>
> I'll try it, but it doesn't explain why it also happens under Linux
> and Dr. DOS; maybe I have two different issues. Anyway, I'll try it
> and report back.

It is working so far. Thanks.
--
Mac Cool