PDA

View Full Version : Is my card failing?

Neil
September 10th 04, 04:58 PM
I have a Geforce FX5200 card, and for a few weeks have had extreme problems
with my system.

I get intermittent screen corruption; windows overlaying each other; my
screen "blinks" every ten seconds sometimes (this seems to conincide with a
CPU spike of 100% utilisation, against a background level of 10-20%).

Some programs are worse than others, but even IE6 will cause it. I'm also
getting "Windows recovered from a serious error" messages which highlight
the video driver. I've tried the latest 61.76 drivers, I've gone back to
old ones, I've even restored to an old stable image from last year but to no
avail.

Sometimes the monitor loses a signal from the PC and goes black. Usually
just for a few seconds, but lately for much longer - only being fixed by a
system reset.

I do suspect my motherboard could also have a problem, and had worse BSOD
issues which seemd to be memory related but they now seem better.

Do these problems sound like they could be graphics card related? I have no
other card to try, else could isolate it. Am loathe to buy a new card and
find the issue was elsewhere. How can I diagnose?

Neil

BigJIm
September 10th 04, 06:19 PM
you could start by doing a reinstall of the OS.
It could be a virus or a Trojan. It could be corrupt video drivers.
It could the Power supply going bad. It could be the memory or video card.
It could be a loose wire on the motherboard.
"Neil" > wrote in message ...
>I have a Geforce FX5200 card, and for a few weeks have had extreme problems
> with my system.
>
> I get intermittent screen corruption; windows overlaying each other; my
> screen "blinks" every ten seconds sometimes (this seems to conincide with
> CPU spike of 100% utilisation, against a background level of 10-20%).
>
> Some programs are worse than others, but even IE6 will cause it. I'm
> also
> getting "Windows recovered from a serious error" messages which highlight
> the video driver. I've tried the latest 61.76 drivers, I've gone back
> old ones, I've even restored to an old stable image from last year but to
> no
> avail.
>
> Sometimes the monitor loses a signal from the PC and goes black. Usually
> just for a few seconds, but lately for much longer - only being fixed by a
> system reset.
>
> I do suspect my motherboard could also have a problem, and had worse BSOD
> issues which seemd to be memory related but they now seem better.
>
> Do these problems sound like they could be graphics card related? I have
> no
> other card to try, else could isolate it. Am loathe to buy a new card
> and
> find the issue was elsewhere. How can I diagnose?
>
> Neil

Neil
September 10th 04, 07:30 PM
"BigJIm" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> you could start by doing a reinstall of the OS.
> It could be a virus or a Trojan. It could be corrupt video drivers.
> It could the Power supply going bad. It could be the memory or video card.
> It could be a loose wire on the motherboard.

Thanks.

I think going back to an old 'C' drive image, that I knew was stable, should
rule out the o/s.

I tried an alternate PSU; and have reloaded video drivers. Antivirus and
spyware scans show clean. Extensive memory tests also clean. Points to
the video card itself; the motherboard, or as you say a loose wire.

I can get the motherboard tested by my vendor - I just want to try and avoid
the hassle of stripping my system down, taking it out, and then leaving with
them for a week, IF it is more likely it is the video card.

Neil

NoRemorse
September 10th 04, 07:53 PM
"Neil" > wrote in message ...
> "BigJIm" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s03...
>> you could start by doing a reinstall of the OS.
>> It could be a virus or a Trojan. It could be corrupt video drivers.
>> It could the Power supply going bad. It could be the memory or video
>> card.
>> It could be a loose wire on the motherboard.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I think going back to an old 'C' drive image, that I knew was stable,
> should
> rule out the o/s.
>
> I tried an alternate PSU; and have reloaded video drivers. Antivirus and
> spyware scans show clean. Extensive memory tests also clean. Points to
> the video card itself; the motherboard, or as you say a loose wire.
>
> I can get the motherboard tested by my vendor - I just want to try and
> avoid
> the hassle of stripping my system down, taking it out, and then leaving
> with
> them for a week, IF it is more likely it is the video card.
>
> Neil

You could get a friend to come over and put his video card in your computer
just to see if it would work. Or you could buy a new card at a store that
has a full refund policy.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Neil
September 10th 04, 08:31 PM
> You could get a friend to come over and put his video card in your
computer
> just to see if it would work. Or you could buy a new card at a store that
> has a full refund policy.

Yeah, not sure I'll have any other option.... thanks

Neil

Chris Madsen
September 11th 04, 12:03 AM
Neil wrote:
> I have a Geforce FX5200 card, and for a few weeks have had extreme problems
> with my system.
>
> I get intermittent screen corruption; windows overlaying each other; my
> screen "blinks" every ten seconds sometimes (this seems to conincide with a
> CPU spike of 100% utilisation, against a background level of 10-20%).
>
> Some programs are worse than others, but even IE6 will cause it. I'm also
> getting "Windows recovered from a serious error" messages which highlight
> the video driver. I've tried the latest 61.76 drivers, I've gone back to
> old ones, I've even restored to an old stable image from last year but to no
> avail.
>
> Sometimes the monitor loses a signal from the PC and goes black. Usually
> just for a few seconds, but lately for much longer - only being fixed by a
> system reset.
>
> I do suspect my motherboard could also have a problem, and had worse BSOD
> issues which seemd to be memory related but they now seem better.
>
> Do these problems sound like they could be graphics card related? I have no
> other card to try, else could isolate it. Am loathe to buy a new card and
> find the issue was elsewhere. How can I diagnose?
>
> Neil

Were you over clocking the card before you had the problem? It may
simply be an overheating problem too. I'd check the fan on the card.

John
September 11th 04, 01:12 AM
Had exactly the same problem with a FX5900, tryed everything. Turned out
that the memory on the card had become faulty... Its now an attractive
doorstop

"Neil" > wrote in message ...
> > You could get a friend to come over and put his video card in your
> computer
> > just to see if it would work. Or you could buy a new card at a store
that
> > has a full refund policy.
> >

> Yeah, not sure I'll have any other option.... thanks
>
> Neil

bp
September 11th 04, 02:27 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:30:48 +0100, "Neil" > wrote:

>I can get the motherboard tested by my vendor - I just want to try and avoid
>the hassle of stripping my system down, taking it out, and then leaving with
>them for a week, IF it is more likely it is the video card.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a different card and see if that works?
Also put your current card in someone's else PC, if possible, and see
what happens.

Neil
September 11th 04, 09:54 AM
> Wouldn't it be easier to get a different card and see if that works?
> Also put your current card in someone's else PC, if possible, and see
> what happens.

Thanks all. I tried an old GTS2 card, and all seems fine with that.
I wasn't overclocking in any way, so whilst I'll try and put the original
card in once more, in case it was a "seating" problem, it looks like my 5200
will also become a doorstop.

What's a sensible, reasonably budget, replacement these days? Sub 80
mail-order?

Don't use the PC for significant graphics. My son plays a few games but
very occasionally (Quake 3; Medal of Honor), though mostly uses his
Gamecube. The only game I play is Flight Sim 2002, for which I'd like good
performance. I guess the only other intense application I use is
video-authoring, but presume that is CPU intense, rather than graphics card.

Neil

BigJIm
September 11th 04, 08:26 PM
I think the best bang for the buck is the ati 9600xt or nvidia 5600 ultra/
both about the same price $128.00 it just depends what chipset you prefer/
both are directx 9 compatible/ go here to check out the prices
www.pricewatch.com