PDA

View Full Version : Maximum resolution of "Generic Television" (CRT)

Sinbad The Sailor
August 31st 04, 12:06 PM
I have an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT Card with an
s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television, is
this the maximum? 800x600 would make life a lot easier as it seems to be the
minimum web site/application size these days.

FYI what I am trying to achieve is to have the pc near the TV on a wireless
network just for browsing the web and looking at Digiguide (a tv guide) and
DVD Profiler. Also, as I wont have a pc monitor I will (if I can) remove the
pc monitor and output everything to the TV Out.

Cheers!

Mikman
August 31st 04, 03:44 PM
You are going to be hard pressed to achieve the quality needed from an
svideo solution to read text (i.e. websites) on a TV. but yes you should be
able to output at higher resolutions than 640X480. It's the video card that
does some fancy footwork to be able to get higher resolutions than a
standard NTSC resolution of 720X486. From my limited experience I found
that built by ATI cards and a few of the higher end nvidia card
manufacturers have the best quality tv-out. But if you are planning on
reading text on the TV good luck it's tough to get that clean a signal on a
TV.

my 2

"Sinbad The Sailor" > wrote in
message . net...
>I have an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT Card with an
> s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television,
> is
> this the maximum? 800x600 would make life a lot easier as it seems to be
> the
> minimum web site/application size these days.
>
> FYI what I am trying to achieve is to have the pc near the TV on a
> wireless
> network just for browsing the web and looking at Digiguide (a tv guide)
> and
> DVD Profiler. Also, as I wont have a pc monitor I will (if I can) remove
> the
> pc monitor and output everything to the TV Out.
>
> Cheers!

Mikman
August 31st 04, 03:50 PM
Sorry got my resolutions mixed up, 'standard' NTSC is 648 x 486. 720X486 is
D-1 NTSC.

"Mikman" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You are going to be hard pressed to achieve the quality needed from an
> svideo solution to read text (i.e. websites) on a TV. but yes you should
> be able to output at higher resolutions than 640X480. It's the video card
> that does some fancy footwork to be able to get higher resolutions than a
> standard NTSC resolution of 720X486. From my limited experience I found
> that built by ATI cards and a few of the higher end nvidia card
> manufacturers have the best quality tv-out. But if you are planning on
> reading text on the TV good luck it's tough to get that clean a signal on
> a TV.
>
> my 2
>
> "Sinbad The Sailor" > wrote in
> message . net...
>>I have an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT Card with an
>> s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television,
>> is
>> this the maximum? 800x600 would make life a lot easier as it seems to be
>> the
>> minimum web site/application size these days.
>>
>> FYI what I am trying to achieve is to have the pc near the TV on a
>> wireless
>> network just for browsing the web and looking at Digiguide (a tv guide)
>> and
>> DVD Profiler. Also, as I wont have a pc monitor I will (if I can) remove
>> the
>> pc monitor and output everything to the TV Out.
>>
>> Cheers!

deimos
August 31st 04, 07:36 PM
Sinbad The Sailor wrote:
> I have an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT Card with an
> s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television, is
> this the maximum? 800x600 would make life a lot easier as it seems to be the
> minimum web site/application size these days.
>
> FYI what I am trying to achieve is to have the pc near the TV on a wireless
> network just for browsing the web and looking at Digiguide (a tv guide) and
> DVD Profiler. Also, as I wont have a pc monitor I will (if I can) remove the
> pc monitor and output everything to the TV Out.
>
> Cheers!

The NTSC standard specifies 525 lines at 59.94hz. The closest VGA
conversion has always been 640x480, since that is the minimum full VGA
resolution available at 60hz (close enough).

Scan converters like the Conexant chip built into graphics cards do a
VERY poor job overall of converting a TV signal. It is inherently
difficult, but the chips are cheap and not very complicated.

You can do other resolutions, but they'll rely upon interpolation and
line doubling algorithems to get it out to your TV. Most encoders have
a max res of 1024x768 (XGA, seems to be left over from a "presentation"
standard).

If you value your eyesight, go ahead and invest in a dedicated "scanline
converter" device. They'll run about a 100USD or more, but can be
hooked up to almost any VGA/DVI source and will do an almost broadcast
quality job of converting your signal. It won't look as good as your
original CRT, but it will look about as good as screen caps you see on
TV shows or live feeds from monitors on like TechTV and such.

Biz
August 31st 04, 10:49 PM
Standard definition television is 720x480NTSC or 720x576 PAL. Every vid
card I have had allows up to 800x600 resolution to a standard def tv, or if
you want to have one of those virual desktops, I could go to a virtual
window of 1024x768, but whats the point of that?

"Sinbad The Sailor" > wrote in
message . net...
> I have an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT Card with an
> s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television,
is
> this the maximum? 800x600 would make life a lot easier as it seems to be
the
> minimum web site/application size these days.
>
> FYI what I am trying to achieve is to have the pc near the TV on a
wireless
> network just for browsing the web and looking at Digiguide (a tv guide)
and
> DVD Profiler. Also, as I wont have a pc monitor I will (if I can) remove
the
> pc monitor and output everything to the TV Out.
>
> Cheers!

Sinbad The Sailor
September 1st 04, 08:55 AM
Biz wrote:
> Standard definition television is 720x480NTSC or 720x576 PAL. Every
> vid card I have had allows up to 800x600 resolution to a standard def
> tv, or if you want to have one of those virual desktops, I could go
> to a virtual window of 1024x768, but whats the point of that?

I'll see why my "Generic Television" driver wont go up to that. I've had it
on 640x480 and it looks OK, perfectly readable (the screen is 42"). It'll
only be occasional use, you know, look up on IMDB where the film I'm
watching was filmed, an Ebay watchlist or something silly. Just utilising
spare parts lurking in a cupboard don't want to go to any expense other than
a 5 cable.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Biz
September 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
YMMV, but I found 800x600 still almost unreadable on a tv. The only
solutions I found satisfactory were an HDTV, or a projector capable of
1024x768 or higher.

"Sinbad The Sailor" > wrote in
message . net...