PDA

View Full Version : TV out...

Ski
August 28th 04, 01:13 PM
Greetings-
Just built a media machine for my living room so's I could enjoy my music thru
my stereo system ... wireless keyboard and optical mouse mean my wife can play
music AND STAY OFF THE "BIG" MACHINE IN THE OFFICE...LOL!
However, the old radeon 7500 AIW I'm using for output to my TV just isn't
gettin it. (large bloom on the left side of the screen)

Prefer Nvidia after many battles with Ati...but I'm open for anything.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

deimos
August 28th 04, 09:38 PM
Ski wrote:
> Greetings-
> Just built a media machine for my living room so's I could enjoy my music thru
> my stereo system ... wireless keyboard and optical mouse mean my wife can play
> music AND STAY OFF THE "BIG" MACHINE IN THE OFFICE...LOL!
> However, the old radeon 7500 AIW I'm using for output to my TV just isn't
> gettin it. (large bloom on the left side of the screen)
>

> Prefer Nvidia after many battles with Ati...but I'm open for anything.
>

> Ski
> "The only way to find out how far is too far...
> is to go there"
> (remove spleen to e-mail)

Newer NVidia cards use a Conexant encoder that is fairly good. It
supports overscan, variable flicker removal, and the image quality is
overall much better than the early Geforce and GF2 series BT encoders.

If you don't need VIVO, any 3rd party manufacturer that offers TV-out
will use that chip (some XFX, BFG, eVGA, Leadtek definitely, MSI, and
ASUS for certain). A GFX 5500 or 5700 is more than enough for a HTPC.

However, for a home theater, I would recommend investing in a dedicated
scanline converter. Just do a google and you'll find several companies
offering them. Make sure you get a scanline converter and not a doubler
or or flimsy "VGA box". You'll pay a bit, but the image quality is
GREATLY increased over anything you can get in a video card.

Ski
August 29th 04, 05:42 AM
>Ski wrote:
>> Greetings-
>> Just built a media machine for my living room so's I could enjoy my music
>thru
>> my stereo system ... wireless keyboard and optical mouse mean my wife can
>play
>> music AND STAY OFF THE "BIG" MACHINE IN THE OFFICE...LOL!
>> However, the old radeon 7500 AIW I'm using for output to my TV just isn't
>> gettin it. (large bloom on the left side of the screen)
>>

>> Prefer Nvidia after many battles with Ati...but I'm open for anything.
>>

>> Ski
>> "The only way to find out how far is too far...
>> is to go there"
>> (remove spleen to e-mail)
>
>Newer NVidia cards use a Conexant encoder that is fairly good. It
>supports overscan, variable flicker removal, and the image quality is
>overall much better than the early Geforce and GF2 series BT encoders.
>
>If you don't need VIVO, any 3rd party manufacturer that offers TV-out
>will use that chip (some XFX, BFG, eVGA, Leadtek definitely, MSI, and
>ASUS for certain). A GFX 5500 or 5700 is more than enough for a HTPC.
>
>However, for a home theater, I would recommend investing in a dedicated
>scanline converter. Just do a google and you'll find several companies
>offering them. Make sure you get a scanline converter and not a doubler
>or or flimsy "VGA box". You'll pay a bit, but the image quality is
>GREATLY increased over anything you can get in a video card.

MANY thanks, MSI 5600XT w/remote and a boatload of software on its way for less
than $100.
I'll let ya know how it worked out.

Scanline converter...googled it, seems I could build one with the info I got,
but not BUY one...LOL!

Could I trouble you for a brand name or three?