PDA

View Full Version : Do cards support dual DVI output?

Jonathan E
August 28th 04, 10:45 AM
Hi

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
(I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
from one graphics card?

Thanks

Jonathan
Nottingham, UK

Chris
August 28th 04, 12:15 PM
Jonathan E wrote:
> Hi
>
> Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...
>
> I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
> which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
> analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
> inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
> VGA/analogue.
>
> I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
> (I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
> that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.
>
> Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
> from one graphics card?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan
> Nottingham, UK

Some of the Gainward cards have two DVI outputs - their FX5700 ultra
(Ultra/960 Gold Sample) card does.

Have a look at their website - it lists the outputs for each card:

http://www.gainward.de/new/main.html

though it does specify (incorrectly) that my card has one DVI and one
VGA output :-(

HTH,

Chris

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Richard Dower
August 28th 04, 12:21 PM
"Jonathan E" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...
>
> I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics
> card
> which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
> analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
> inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
> VGA/analogue.
>
> I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
> (I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
> that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.
>
> Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via
> DVI
> from one graphics card?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan
> Nottingham, UK

Here,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-073&depa=1

Dual DVI:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-150-073-01.JPG/14-150-073-02.JPG/14-150-073-03.JPG/14-150-073-04.JPG/14-150-073-05.JPG

UK website for XFX:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800_GT.html

http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40AUD

First of One
August 28th 04, 02:49 PM
Just keep in mind the two DVI ports on some cards are not created equal