PDA

View Full Version : FX5900XT problem!

Fucho
August 23rd 04, 11:24 PM
I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark (both
'01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
to desktop.
I tryed 53.03, 56.55 and 56.72 drivers. I syncronised my 2d and 3d
clocks, i disabled fast write in bios, i tryed running it at safe mode clock
frequencies, even tryed pointing room fan at it with a case open :)
It does feel a bit warm bit not to hot anyway it is even a bit cooler
then my Gf3 Ti. That leads me to antoher problem. I cant see it's
temperature (should it have a sensor?)
I didn't try any games yet, but i don't think problem would be in 3d mark
only, so i tought first to get it runnig fine and then see if anything else
doesn't work.
Rest of the configuration is athlon 2400+ (not clocked) & 768 mb of ram
on soltek SL-75DRV mainboard, PS is tagan 380W
Tnx for any help you can offer.

Rocky
August 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
"Fucho" > wrote in message
> I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark
(both
> '01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
> to desktop.

Have you watched to check the fan is running?

--
Rocky
www.jointopscentral.com | www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com |

__

Fucho
August 24th 04, 12:26 AM
> Have you watched to check the fan is running?

It is running.
I have some update to problem description. I reinstalled the card, changed
to VIA hyperion 4in1 v.4.53, i still have the same problem but on one run of
3d mark i got this error: DirectX allows only 65536 vertices per primitive

no name
August 24th 04, 12:56 AM
"Fucho" > tried to express:
> I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark (both
> '01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
> to desktop.
> I tryed 53.03, 56.55 and 56.72 drivers. I syncronised my 2d and 3d
> clocks, i disabled fast write in bios, i tryed running it at safe mode clock
> frequencies, even tryed pointing room fan at it with a case open :)
> It does feel a bit warm bit not to hot anyway it is even a bit cooler
> then my Gf3 Ti. That leads me to antoher problem. I cant see it's
> temperature (should it have a sensor?)

I have a Gainward FX5900 Golden Sample (recently acquired and it seems
to work great). Anyway, if you are in windows check

right click on desktop
click properties
click settings
click advanced
click GeForce

you should then see a tree menu to the left side on the display.
Mine shows a (temperature monitor) tab. It runs around 45 to 50
degrees celcius. The default top end (at which to flag a warning
and throttle back the clock) shows 140 degrees celcius. Their
default cutoff value seems a bit high to me but as long as the
board runs in the 40 to 50 degree range I'm happy.

I don't know if your particular board has a temperature sensor but
check as I listed above for windows. I haven't figured out yet if
I can access the sensor in linux/unix.

Fucho
August 24th 04, 01:10 AM
> I don't know if your particular board has a temperature sensor but
> check as I listed above for windows. I haven't figured out yet if
> I can access the sensor in linux/unix.

I use windows and don't have a temperature tab. It looks like some or all
5900xt don't have a sensor.
I used case temp sensor form my MBO to monitor temperature of my old card,
it is an aproximate value but it was close enough, i will do the same with
this card.
However i do not think it is overheating because it had the same problem
even when on safe mode frequencies and with an open case an a room fan
ponted to it.

tooly
August 24th 04, 06:10 AM
"Fucho" > wrote in message
> I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark
(both
> '01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
> to desktop.
> I tryed 53.03, 56.55 and 56.72 drivers. I syncronised my 2d and 3d
> clocks, i disabled fast write in bios, i tryed running it at safe mode
clock
> frequencies, even tryed pointing room fan at it with a case open :)
> It does feel a bit warm bit not to hot anyway it is even a bit cooler
> then my Gf3 Ti. That leads me to antoher problem. I cant see it's
> temperature (should it have a sensor?)
> I didn't try any games yet, but i don't think problem would be in 3d
mark
> only, so i tought first to get it runnig fine and then see if anything
else
> doesn't work.
> Rest of the configuration is athlon 2400+ (not clocked) & 768 mb of ram
> on soltek SL-75DRV mainboard, PS is tagan 380W
> Tnx for any help you can offer.

Have you run a memtest on your system ram lately?

Eric
August 24th 04, 06:53 PM
Try the Nvidia 61.77 drivers (they are the latest).

"Fucho" > wrote in message
> I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark
(both
> '01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
> to desktop.
> I tryed 53.03, 56.55 and 56.72 drivers. I syncronised my 2d and 3d
> clocks, i disabled fast write in bios, i tryed running it at safe mode
clock
> frequencies, even tryed pointing room fan at it with a case open :)
> It does feel a bit warm bit not to hot anyway it is even a bit cooler
> then my Gf3 Ti. That leads me to antoher problem. I cant see it's
> temperature (should it have a sensor?)
> I didn't try any games yet, but i don't think problem would be in 3d
mark
> only, so i tought first to get it runnig fine and then see if anything
else
> doesn't work.
> Rest of the configuration is athlon 2400+ (not clocked) & 768 mb of ram
> on soltek SL-75DRV mainboard, PS is tagan 380W
> Tnx for any help you can offer.

Eric
August 24th 04, 06:55 PM
Silly question maybe, but unlike older cards, this card requires that you
provide it power via a molex plug from your power supply. You have done
that -- right?

Some people have overlooked this simple step. I'm not trying to be snide.

"Fucho" > wrote in message
> I have problems with my FX5900XT (gainward 1100/ultra GS). 3d mark
(both
> '01 and '03) either freezes and i have to hard reset my comp or it crashes
> to desktop.
> I tryed 53.03, 56.55 and 56.72 drivers. I syncronised my 2d and 3d
> clocks, i disabled fast write in bios, i tryed running it at safe mode
clock
> frequencies, even tryed pointing room fan at it with a case open :)
> It does feel a bit warm bit not to hot anyway it is even a bit cooler
> then my Gf3 Ti. That leads me to antoher problem. I cant see it's
> temperature (should it have a sensor?)
> I didn't try any games yet, but i don't think problem would be in 3d
mark
> only, so i tought first to get it runnig fine and then see if anything
else
> doesn't work.
> Rest of the configuration is athlon 2400+ (not clocked) & 768 mb of ram
> on soltek SL-75DRV mainboard, PS is tagan 380W
> Tnx for any help you can offer.

Fucho
August 24th 04, 09:01 PM
> Silly question maybe, but unlike older cards, this card requires that you
> provide it power via a molex plug from your power supply. You have done
> that -- right?
>
> Some people have overlooked this simple step. I'm not trying to be snide.

Thank you all for help. I tryed reinstalling my windows today and now it
seems to work. I didn't run a lot of benchmarks yet but i did two in a row
without a crash what would be impossible yesterday.
It seems that i couldn't remove all remains of old drivers and reg keys
form old card. I hope it will not crach anymore, thanx for assistance and i
hope i will not return with more problems.