PDA

View Full Version : Will nvidia ever support triple buffering in OpenGL?


David J. Antoine
August 21st 04, 07:34 AM
I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800 GT
that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My card
before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had tried
various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
(OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double buffering
was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card because of this
in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else. Does anyone know if
nVidia will support this feature in future drivers? Thank you for your
time.
--
Peace & God Bless,

$muvMoney
John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24

Folk
August 21st 04, 04:09 PM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:34:44 GMT, "David J. Antoine"
> wrote:

> I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
>especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800 GT
>that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My card
>before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had tried
>various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
>(OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double buffering
>was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card because of this
>in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else. Does anyone know if
>nVidia will support this feature in future drivers? Thank you for your
>time.

This product: http://www.nvhardpage.com/
supposedly enables triple buffering in OGL, but I haven't tested it.

David J. Antoine
August 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Folk,

I tried that product. It didn't work for me. For what it is worth, it put the
registry setting in and set it to 1. However, it didn't take effect in any
OpenGL game (Quake III, UT OGL, and UT2K4 OGL were my test games). It was easy
to tell that it didn't work because I have a high Hz of 120. Seeing the frame
rate drop to 60 and turning off vsync to see it shoot back up to 100 or so was a
dead giveaway. Thanks for your help.

Peace & God Bless,

David J. Antoine
John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24

Folk wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:34:44 GMT, "David J. Antoine"
> > wrote:
>
>
>> I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
>>especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800 GT
>>that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My card
>>before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had tried
>>various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
>>(OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double buffering
>>was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card because of this
>>in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else. Does anyone know if
>>nVidia will support this feature in future drivers? Thank you for your
>>time.
>
>
> This product: http://www.nvhardpage.com/
> supposedly enables triple buffering in OGL, but I haven't tested it.
>

deimos
August 21st 04, 06:21 PM
David J. Antoine wrote:

> Folk,
>
> I tried that product. It didn't work for me. For what it is worth,
> it put the registry setting in and set it to 1. However, it didn't take
> effect in any OpenGL game (Quake III, UT OGL, and UT2K4 OGL were my test
> games). It was easy to tell that it didn't work because I have a high
> Hz of 120. Seeing the frame rate drop to 60 and turning off vsync to
> see it shoot back up to 100 or so was a dead giveaway. Thanks for your
> help.
>
> Peace & God Bless,
>
> David J. Antoine
> John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24
>
> Folk wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:34:44 GMT, "David J. Antoine"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
>>> especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800
>>> GT that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My
>>> card before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had
>>> tried various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
>>> (OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double
>>> buffering was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card
>>> because of this in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else.
>>> Does anyone know if nVidia will support this feature in future
>>> drivers? Thank you for your time.
>>
>>
>>
>> This product: http://www.nvhardpage.com/
>> supposedly enables triple buffering in OGL, but I haven't tested it.
>>

I was tearing my hair out about a week ago searching for this same
thinkg, Triple Buffering. Apparently, it can only be forced by an
application in Direct3D, and that's if the game is specifically written
to use it.

Additionally, the ARB does't have a triple buffering specification, so
it's not required for any OpenGL standard. Up until now, it's all been
the vendor's implementation of it. And because Direct3D doesn't
explicitly call for it in the standard, it's game developer optional.

From searching, I found that it was removed from the drivers itself
long ago (maybe pre 50.xx like 44.03?) and no one has ever got a
response back from developer lists. Even game developers have commented
on how hard it is to get information from the graphics chip designers.

I remember using triple buffering on my GF3 in Day of Defeat all the
time. Using Quincunx and Triplebuffering made a very smooth experience.

NightSky 421
August 22nd 04, 01:11 AM
"David J. Antoine" > wrote in message
...
> I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
> especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800 GT
> that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My card
> before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had tried
> various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
> (OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double buffering
> was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card because of this
> in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else. Does anyone know if
> nVidia will support this feature in future drivers? Thank you for your
> time.



Are you suffering without triple buffering? :-)

$muvMoney
August 22nd 04, 01:25 AM
NightSky,

Since I RMA'ed the 6800 GT, not any more. :) However, to RMA such an otherwise
near flawless card bothers me. That is why I'm holding out hope that nVidia
would include the feature. I would rebuy that BFG card in a heartbeat if I got
official confirmation that OpenGL triple buffering was (re)instated.

Peace & God Bless,

$muvMoney
John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24


NightSky 421 wrote:
> "David J. Antoine" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>> I was wondering if nVidia supported triple buffering in OpenGL
>>especially with the 6800 series. I had previously purchased a 6800 GT
>>that I had enjoyed, but I could not get this feature to work. My card
>>before the 6800 purchase was an ATi Radeon 9800XT. I had tried
>>various tweakers to insert the setting in the registry
>>(OGL_EnableTripleBuffer). However, I could tell that double buffering
>>was on in my OpenGL games. I actually returned the card because of this
>>in spite of the fact it rocked at everything else. Does anyone know if
>>nVidia will support this feature in future drivers? Thank you for your
>>time.
>
>
>
>
> Are you suffering without triple buffering? :-)
>
>

NightSky 421
August 22nd 04, 01:59 AM
"$muvMoney" > wrote in message
m...
> NightSky,
>
> Since I RMA'ed the 6800 GT, not any more. :) However, to RMA such an
otherwise
> near flawless card bothers me. That is why I'm holding out hope that
nVidia
> would include the feature. I would rebuy that BFG card in a heartbeat if
I got
> official confirmation that OpenGL triple buffering was (re)instated.
>
> Peace & God Bless,
>
> $muvMoney
> John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24
>


Actually, my post was meant in jest, but I can understand your sentiments.