PDA

View Full Version : nVidia & 3Dfx. - Are they compatible ?

Phil
August 21st 04, 08:28 AM
Hi,

All this talk about 3Dfx make me remember my Voodoo 5500 AGP video
card just recently gone to silicon heaven after many years of good
service. Any way, I got a used Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 to replace
it.

The GForce4 works great with most of my "newer" games that the V5500
was unable to run (lack of T&L hardware and power). But I do dearly
missed the V5500 because I am unable to play some of my favourite
older flight sim that utilized Glide.

Fortunately, I have a spare never used V5500 PCI version and I wonder
is it possible to have the V5500 PCI along with the Ti4200 AGP? Is it
pain-less to install and setup driver for both video card on the same
system? My PC is dual boot of Win98SE purely for games and Win2K for
non-gaming stuffs. My monitor has both BNC & D-Sub connector and can
easily switch via a button.

Please advise. Thanks.

deimos
August 21st 04, 06:08 PM
Phil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> All this talk about 3Dfx make me remember my Voodoo 5500 AGP video
> card just recently gone to silicon heaven after many years of good
> service. Any way, I got a used Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 to replace
> it.
>
> The GForce4 works great with most of my "newer" games that the V5500
> was unable to run (lack of T&L hardware and power). But I do dearly
> missed the V5500 because I am unable to play some of my favourite
> older flight sim that utilized Glide.
>
> Fortunately, I have a spare never used V5500 PCI version and I wonder
> is it possible to have the V5500 PCI along with the Ti4200 AGP? Is it
> pain-less to install and setup driver for both video card on the same
> system? My PC is dual boot of Win98SE purely for games and Win2K for
> non-gaming stuffs. My monitor has both BNC & D-Sub connector and can
> easily switch via a button.
>
> Please advise. Thanks.

I don't quite remember if the last sets of drivers were able to be
installed side by side or not. I think there were some later "X Gamers"
drivers, and I'll bet someone still hacks up a new set now and again.

Check their release notes, see if they have any compatibility problems.
I would think you'd use a passthrough normally, but if switching works
for you, go ahead.

But you might not need the Voodoo in there, there are several good
Glide-wrappers out, some will even work in DOS (DOS emu in Windows).
There was eVoodoo and another new one just came out a month or two ago.
Check the usual emulation sites (ngemu.com and zophar.net) and maybe
search through the archives of warp2search.net.

First of One
August 22nd 04, 03:01 AM
Which flight sim? If it's Red Baron 3D, check out

http://www.glidos.net/baron.html?lang=en

Download the OpenGLide wrapper on that page for free.

"Phil" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> All this talk about 3Dfx make me remember my Voodoo 5500 AGP video
> card just recently gone to silicon heaven after many years of good
> service. Any way, I got a used Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 to replace
> it.
>
> The GForce4 works great with most of my "newer" games that the V5500
> was unable to run (lack of T&L hardware and power). But I do dearly
> missed the V5500 because I am unable to play some of my favourite
> older flight sim that utilized Glide.
>
> Fortunately, I have a spare never used V5500 PCI version and I wonder
> is it possible to have the V5500 PCI along with the Ti4200 AGP? Is it
> pain-less to install and setup driver for both video card on the same
> system? My PC is dual boot of Win98SE purely for games and Win2K for
> non-gaming stuffs. My monitor has both BNC & D-Sub connector and can
> easily switch via a button.
>
> Please advise. Thanks.

NightSky 421
August 22nd 04, 04:39 AM
"Phil" > wrote in message
m...

> Please advise. Thanks.

I was under the impression that the GeForceFX series has integrated some of
3dfx's old technology, but I also heard it wasn't done very well. Is any of
this true?

Silvertip
August 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
To answer the OP, yes the PCI 5500 will work along side the AGP Ti4200. I
have an extra system set up with Win98SE using both for a couple of my
flight sims and a couple of racing sims that want to choke, barf, etc.
anytime they get close to WinXP and/or a GeForce card. I just have to
decide which card I want to use during boot-up and select it in the bios.
Silvertip
able.rogers.com...