PDA

View Full Version : Power supply?

Pat
August 14th 04, 09:52 PM
I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an ati
7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick soon.
I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of the
case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to make
sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now my
cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
What's the gamers mouse?

TIA,
Pat

Shawk
August 14th 04, 10:47 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message
> I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an
ati
> 7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick soon.
> I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
> holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of
the
> case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to make
> sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now my
> cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
> What's the gamers mouse?
>
> TIA,
> Pat

On the Antec PSU the fan should point downwards. It pulls air from the case
and blows it out the back via the second fan. You have it upside down. The
XP2000+ will be OK for a while but should be your next project - start
saving your money. The other 512MB of RAM is almost essential for some
newer games such as Far cry. Using a MS Intellimouse optical here but its
user preference. Shaun

Pat
August 14th 04, 11:20 PM
Shaun,
What cpu should I upgrade to?

Pat

"Shawk" > wrote in message

> "Pat" > wrote in message
> > I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an
> ati
> > 7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick
soon.
> > I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
> > holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of
> the
> > case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to
make
> > sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now
my
> > cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out
there?
> > What's the gamers mouse?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Pat
> >

> On the Antec PSU the fan should point downwards. It pulls air from the
case
> and blows it out the back via the second fan. You have it upside down.
The
> XP2000+ will be OK for a while but should be your next project - start
> saving your money. The other 512MB of RAM is almost essential for some
> newer games such as Far cry. Using a MS Intellimouse optical here but its
> user preference. Shaun

Mr. Brian Allen
August 14th 04, 11:30 PM
> Shaun,
> What cpu should I upgrade to?

Start looking at something around the 2500 XP level. Go as high above that
as you can afford.

Shawk
August 15th 04, 12:14 AM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> > Shaun,
> > What cpu should I upgrade to?
>
> Start looking at something around the 2500 XP level. Go as high above
that
> as you can afford.

I'm with him... :-)

Cuzman
August 15th 04, 02:05 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message

" I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. "

It would be a waste of money upgrading to a 6800 now if you haven't got a
system that can make use of it. You've stated that you currently have an
Antec 430W, an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon 7500. If you advise
on what motherboard you have, and what the RAM specifics are (DDR? SDRAM?
manufacturer? PCxxxx rating?), then it would be easier to advise on an
all-round upgrade for gaming. You would also need to state what your budget
is.

Pat
August 15th 04, 03:13 AM
MOBO is a MSI KM2M combo series (VIA KM266 266 chipset) . I can upgrade mem
to 2 gigs DDR 2700.

Thanks,
Pat

"Cuzman" > wrote in message
> "Pat" > wrote in message
>
> " I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. "
>

> It would be a waste of money upgrading to a 6800 now if you haven't got a
> system that can make use of it. You've stated that you currently have an
> Antec 430W, an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon 7500. If you
advise
> on what motherboard you have, and what the RAM specifics are (DDR? SDRAM?
> manufacturer? PCxxxx rating?), then it would be easier to advise on an
> all-round upgrade for gaming. You would also need to state what your
budget
> is.

Richard Cavell
August 15th 04, 10:54 AM
On 15/8/04 6:52 AM, Pat wrote:

> Now my cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
> What's the gamers mouse?

I'm not aware of any game that would be held back by your CPU. I think
they'd be held back by your video card.

I use a dual-optical Logitech mouse and it works superbly. It has 3
mouse buttons plus the scrollwheel (which is able to be pushed down for
a fourth button as well).

Pat
August 15th 04, 03:08 PM
If I want to go cheaper, what would be the next best video card to get
instead of the GEforce 6800

Thanks,
Pat

"Richard Cavell" > wrote in message
om.au...
> On 15/8/04 6:52 AM, Pat wrote:
>
> > Now my cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games
out there?
> > What's the gamers mouse?
>
> I'm not aware of any game that would be held back by your CPU. I think
> they'd be held back by your video card.
>
> I use a dual-optical Logitech mouse and it works superbly. It has 3
> mouse buttons plus the scrollwheel (which is able to be pushed down for
> a fourth button as well).

Laura
August 15th 04, 06:50 PM
I have a GF5950 running on a o/c 2600 with 1gb ram.
I play Doom 3 and Far Cry just fine at 1024x768 on high settings.

Jeff

"Pat" > wrote in message
> If I want to go cheaper, what would be the next best video card to get
> instead of the GEforce 6800
>
> Thanks,
> Pat
>

> "Richard Cavell" > wrote in message
> om.au...
> > On 15/8/04 6:52 AM, Pat wrote:
> >
> > > Now my cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games
> out there?
> > > What's the gamers mouse?
> >
> > I'm not aware of any game that would be held back by your CPU. I think
> > they'd be held back by your video card.
> >
> > I use a dual-optical Logitech mouse and it works superbly. It has 3
> > mouse buttons plus the scrollwheel (which is able to be pushed down for
> > a fourth button as well).

Ed Light
August 15th 04, 07:21 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message
> If I want to go cheaper, what would be the next best video card to get
> instead of the GEforce 6800

Wait for the AGP 6600 GT. $200 US. The pci express version will come out
first. In some games the 2000+ will be too slow.

It will need a power connection from the psu (power supply).
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Larry L.
August 16th 04, 10:51 AM
> > It would be a waste of money upgrading to a 6800 now if you haven't got
> > system that can make use of it. You've stated that you currently have
an
> > Antec 430W, an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon 7500.

While I agree with the general concept here, I'm not convinced that
upgrading to a 6800 would be a "waste of money" at this point given that
he's only got a Radeon 7500 at the moment. It's true that this system won't
get anywhere near the full potential of a 6800, but wouldn't his 2000+ still
be enough to see a dramatic improvement with a 6800 compared to a Radeon
7500? I'd still think that the biggest SINGLE improvement he'll see would
be by upgrading the graphics card, and a 6800 would give his system some
room to grow -- i.e. he can upgrade the CPU, motherboard, etc. later and he
won't need to upgrade his graphics card.

It's easy to say "upgrade your CPU," but the highest he can go with his
motherboard is a 2600+, which isn't THAT far beyond his 2000+ (it's faster,
but not dramatically so.) If he wants to go above that, he'd need a new
motherboard, and if he's getting a new motherboard and a substantially
better CPU, he should also get faster memory so that his CPU won't be held
back. At that point, he's looking at a new CPU, a new motherboard, new
memory, AND a new graphics card, which is no longer a simple, inexpensive
upgrade. If money isn't an issue this is fine, but if money wasn't an
issue, he most likely would not still be using a Radeon 7500.

My instinct, therefore (assuming he doesn't want to do a full system
upgrade), would be to go ahead and get a 6800 -- a single change that should
still give him a noticeable boost in performance. Even though his CPU will
hold back his maximum framerate quite a bit, he will still be able to take
advantage of the new graphics capabilities that are simply not possible with
his Radeon 7500.

Larry

Pat
August 17th 04, 03:30 PM
I thought if I wanted to upgrade my cpu I could go as high as high as 3200+
not just 2600? Would I notice a big difference with a 3200 than my 2000+?

Thanks,
Pat

"Larry L." > wrote in message
> > > It would be a waste of money upgrading to a 6800 now if you haven't
got
> > > system that can make use of it. You've stated that you currently have
> an
> > > Antec 430W, an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon 7500.
>
> While I agree with the general concept here, I'm not convinced that
> upgrading to a 6800 would be a "waste of money" at this point given that
> he's only got a Radeon 7500 at the moment. It's true that this system
won't
> get anywhere near the full potential of a 6800, but wouldn't his 2000+
still
> be enough to see a dramatic improvement with a 6800 compared to a Radeon
> 7500? I'd still think that the biggest SINGLE improvement he'll see would
> be by upgrading the graphics card, and a 6800 would give his system some
> room to grow -- i.e. he can upgrade the CPU, motherboard, etc. later and
he
> won't need to upgrade his graphics card.
>
> It's easy to say "upgrade your CPU," but the highest he can go with his
> motherboard is a 2600+, which isn't THAT far beyond his 2000+ (it's
faster,
> but not dramatically so.) If he wants to go above that, he'd need a new
> motherboard, and if he's getting a new motherboard and a substantially
> better CPU, he should also get faster memory so that his CPU won't be held
> back. At that point, he's looking at a new CPU, a new motherboard, new
> memory, AND a new graphics card, which is no longer a simple, inexpensive
> upgrade. If money isn't an issue this is fine, but if money wasn't an
> issue, he most likely would not still be using a Radeon 7500.
>
> My instinct, therefore (assuming he doesn't want to do a full system
> upgrade), would be to go ahead and get a 6800 -- a single change that
should
> still give him a noticeable boost in performance. Even though his CPU
will
> hold back his maximum framerate quite a bit, he will still be able to take
> advantage of the new graphics capabilities that are simply not possible
with
> his Radeon 7500.
>
> Larry

Larry L.
August 18th 04, 02:45 AM
The website I looked at said that the 2600+ was the highest that motherboard
could take, but this may have been out of date. A 3200+ would be a more
noticeable upgrade, but the biggest "single" difference would be made by
upgrading the graphics card. If you can afford to do both, than this would
of course be the best option. My point is that your current system with a
6800 would be better than a 3200+ with your current graphics card.

Larry

"Pat" > wrote in message
> I thought if I wanted to upgrade my cpu I could go as high as high as
3200+
> not just 2600? Would I notice a big difference with a 3200 than my 2000+?
>

> Thanks,
> Pat

> got
> > an
> >
> > While I agree with the general concept here, I'm not convinced that
> > upgrading to a 6800 would be a "waste of money" at this point given that
> > he's only got a Radeon 7500 at the moment. It's true that this system
> won't
> > get anywhere near the full potential of a 6800, but wouldn't his 2000+
> still
> > be enough to see a dramatic improvement with a 6800 compared to a Radeon
> > 7500? I'd still think that the biggest SINGLE improvement he'll see
would
> > be by upgrading the graphics card, and a 6800 would give his system some
> > room to grow -- i.e. he can upgrade the CPU, motherboard, etc. later and
> he
> > won't need to upgrade his graphics card.
> >
> > It's easy to say "upgrade your CPU," but the highest he can go with his
> > motherboard is a 2600+, which isn't THAT far beyond his 2000+ (it's
> faster,
> > but not dramatically so.) If he wants to go above that, he'd need a new
> > motherboard, and if he's getting a new motherboard and a substantially
> > better CPU, he should also get faster memory so that his CPU won't be
held
> > back. At that point, he's looking at a new CPU, a new motherboard, new
> > memory, AND a new graphics card, which is no longer a simple,
inexpensive
> > upgrade. If money isn't an issue this is fine, but if money wasn't an
> > issue, he most likely would not still be using a Radeon 7500.
> >
> > My instinct, therefore (assuming he doesn't want to do a full system
> > upgrade), would be to go ahead and get a 6800 -- a single change that
> should
> > still give him a noticeable boost in performance. Even though his CPU
> will
> > hold back his maximum framerate quite a bit, he will still be able to
take
> > advantage of the new graphics capabilities that are simply not possible
> with
> > his Radeon 7500.
> >
> > Larry

Pat
August 18th 04, 05:49 AM
I'm really bummed, I thought my maxed out upgrade would be more than that.
I looked it up at the MSI website and you're right. If I wanted to, what
would be the next best choice for a motherboard upgrade? I can spend the
money, but I would prefer to be wise and get the best for my money. I want
to be able to use my DDR 2700 mem, and 1 gig of RAM.
Thanks,
Pat

"Larry L." > wrote in message
> [...]
> held
> > > back. At that point, he's looking at a new CPU, a new motherboard,
new
> > > memory, AND a new graphics card, which is no longer a simple,
> inexpensive
> > > upgrade. If money isn't an issue this is fine, but if money wasn't an
> > > issue, he most likely would not still be using a Radeon 7500.
> > >
> > > My instinct, therefore (assuming he doesn't want to do a full system
> > > upgrade), would be to go ahead and get a 6800 -- a single change that
> > should
> > > still give him a noticeable boost in performance. Even though his CPU
> > will
> > > hold back his maximum framerate quite a bit, he will still be able to
> take
> > > advantage of the new graphics capabilities that are simply not

Larry L.
August 18th 04, 09:30 AM
You might want to do it in steps and stop when it's "enough." In other
words, just upgrade the video card and see if you get the performance you
want. If this falls short of satisfactory, upgrade further. The problem
with sticking with current memory is that the newer processors typically
need or at least "want" faster memory. Personally, it seems like every time
I'm upgrading the motherboard, there is much faster memory as well, so I
just end up upgrading processor/cpu/memory at the same time. In my case, I
typically upgrade just the processor and/or just the graphics card at some
point. Other than this, I tend to do the whole thing.

Another factor in this is the "difficulty" factor. There is something to be
said for just upgrading the processor without upgrading the motherboard and
memory as well. It's easy to just throw in another processor, but changing
the motherboard requires a lot more effort. Not a "huge" deal, but it's
sometimes nice to take the easy route. I have a feeling that you'd get
pretty nice performance from a 2600+ and a 6800GT. You won't be into
"bragging" territory, but I personally don't care about that sort of thing.
I just want the games to play "smooth" at relatively high graphics level
settings, and at a decent resolution. I don't care if someone else is
getting 108fps when I'm only getting 60fps as long as it never dips low
enough to notice, and I just don't see enough difference between "ultra" and
"high" settings to warrant the cost. To me, the quality difference at this
level -- and with the current state of graphics -- does not warrant the
cost.

By this I mean that resolution is not the limiting factor when it comes to
quality. Look at the even the best graphics like doom3. The edges of round
objects (like the tops of heads) are not curved at all. Rather, the
subdivisions are totally obvious. This, to me, is a much bigger problem
than having to use a slightly lower resolution. I might pay more to be able
to have more subdivisions in the models, but 1280x1024 vs 1600x1200 is just
not enough difference to be worth the cost. Add to this the fact that I'm
tired of paying top dollar when the system will be out of date in a year
anyway.

If I was you, I'd probably just try the graphics card first. If that isn't
enough, decide how "close" you are to getting what you desire. If you're
relatively close, get the 2600+. If you really need more, then go for the
motherboard and a faster proc. You'll want the 6800 no matter what you end
up doing, so this is an easy way to go about upgrading.

Larry

"Pat" > wrote in message
> I'm really bummed, I thought my maxed out upgrade would be more than
that.
> I looked it up at the MSI website and you're right. If I wanted to, what
> would be the next best choice for a motherboard upgrade? I can spend the
> money, but I would prefer to be wise and get the best for my money. I
want
> to be able to use my DDR 2700 mem, and 1 gig of RAM.
> Thanks,
> Pat
>
> "Larry L." > wrote in message
> > The website I looked at said that the 2600+ was the highest that
> motherboard
> > could take, but this may have been out of date. A 3200+ would be a more
> > noticeable upgrade, but the biggest "single" difference would be made by
> > upgrading the graphics card. If you can afford to do both, than this
> would
> > of course be the best option. My point is that your current system with
> > 6800 would be better than a 3200+ with your current graphics card.
> >
> > Larry
> >
> > "Pat" > wrote in message
> > > I thought if I wanted to upgrade my cpu I could go as high as high as
> > 3200+
> > > not just 2600? Would I notice a big difference with a 3200 than my
> 2000+?
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Pat

> haven't
> > > got
> > have

> that
> > > won't
> > > still
> Radeon
> > would
> some
> and
> > > he

> his
> > > faster,
> new
> > held
> new
> > inexpensive

> > > should
CPU
> > > will
> > take
> possible
> > > with

John Lynch, Jr.
August 19th 04, 01:12 AM
"Shawk" > wrote in message

> "Pat" > wrote in message
> > I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an
> ati
> > 7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick
soon.
> > I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
> > holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of
> the
> > case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to
make
> > sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now
my
> > cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out
there?
> > What's the gamers mouse?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Pat
> >

> On the Antec PSU the fan should point downwards. It pulls air from the
case
> and blows it out the back via the second fan. You have it upside down.
The
> XP2000+ will be OK for a while but should be your next project - start
> saving your money. The other 512MB of RAM is almost essential for some
> newer games such as Far cry. Using a MS Intellimouse optical here but its
> user preference. Shaun

I'm using the Intellimouse explorer (optical) very comfortable feel.
Excellent response in all my games.

First of One
August 21st 04, 08:07 AM
Occasionally you get the odd case that run the "inverted" PSU position. The
fan spins slowly and moves little air, so it doesn't really matter,
especially since you also have another case fan blowing air out.