PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT vs. Ultra, what is the difference?

Luke Piasecki
August 12th 04, 06:27 PM
Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides clockspeed?
Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?

Thank you,
Luke

shuffle
August 12th 04, 06:42 PM
Clock speed.

Luke Piasecki wrote:
> Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides clockspeed?
> Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?
>
> Thank you,
> Luke

Eric Witte
August 13th 04, 05:10 PM
shuffle > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Clock speed.
>
> Luke Piasecki wrote:
> > Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides clockspeed?
> > Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Luke

Its pretty easy to get a 6800GT to 400/1100. I can get to about
420/1140 on mine. Although I keep it at 400/1100 just to give it a
little room to breath. There is nowhere near $100 worth of
performance increase out of the Ultra. I'd say the difference is less
than 5-10%.

Eric

Mr Me
August 14th 04, 02:37 PM
"Eric Witte" > wrote in message
om...
> shuffle > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Clock speed.
> >
> > Luke Piasecki wrote:
> > > Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides
clockspeed?
> > > Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Luke
> > >

> Its pretty easy to get a 6800GT to 400/1100. I can get to about
> 420/1140 on mine. Although I keep it at 400/1100 just to give it a
> little room to breath. There is nowhere near $100 worth of
> performance increase out of the Ultra. I'd say the difference is less
> than 5-10%.
>
> Eric

But just as you can oc the GT to get Ultra out-of-the-box speeds, you can oc
the Ultras to get beyond that basic speed. So the differetial remains.
Whether that's worth $100 is a moot point but clearly many believe it is.

First of One
August 15th 04, 01:23 AM
Clock speed is the only difference... which is why the 6800GT is still
priced pretty high.

And yes, like with some ATi cards, you can enable the additional four pipes
on the plain 6800 with RivaTuner, though success is not assured.

"Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides clockspeed?
> Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?
>
> Thank you,
> Luke

Eric Witte
August 15th 04, 04:43 PM
> > Its pretty easy to get a 6800GT to 400/1100. I can get to about
> > 420/1140 on mine. Although I keep it at 400/1100 just to give it a
> > little room to breath. There is nowhere near $100 worth of
> > performance increase out of the Ultra. I'd say the difference is less
> > than 5-10%.
> >
> > Eric
>
> But just as you can oc the GT to get Ultra out-of-the-box speeds, you can oc
> the Ultras to get beyond that basic speed. So the differetial remains.
> Whether that's worth $100 is a moot point but clearly many believe it is.

The point is its exactly the same card versus the 6800nu that has
differences other than clock speeds. Given the same cooling on both
cards they would probably clock to near the same levels. Those arctic
coolers are only $30. Even with the grappy cooling on my GT I get
420/1140. But I run 400/1100 because the difference is less probably
2%.

Eric

Darthy
August 26th 04, 05:24 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:27:26 GMT, "Luke Piasecki"
> wrote:

>Just wondering what is the difference between the two besides clockspeed?
>Same number of pipelines, texturing units etc.?

A bit more speed.... and $100~150 more price...

In Doom3, its about 6fps (when its already over 60fps)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=3

Of course... you need to have a 64BIT CPU to approach this... Having
a 2000Mhz/class CPU won't cut it....

Here is a good example on a 6800Ultra running Doom3

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

Where anything under an AMD 3000 or P4-2.4Ghz is about 50fps (vs 8-+
fps)

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.