PDA

View Full Version : What recomendations for under 150

Hamish
August 12th 04, 04:58 PM
Greets

I've been using a Sparkle FX5600 for a while now and feel like upgrading, I
would like to stay with an NVIDIA based card as my mate is still having
problems with ATI's.

I would also like to move to a more respected manufacturer, my Sparkle was
ok but I did have to have it replaced once with a dodgy fan.

FX5900 or better is what I'm aiming at, what are out there for my price
range? What is anyone's experience with the card/manufacturer that they
recommend?

I'm not looking for killer performance, but would like to play things like
Farcry and Doom 3 reasonably ( medium or above ).

I may be able to push to 170 at a pinch ;-)

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants. The other is getting it.

OZMAN
August 12th 04, 05:15 PM
If you can wait a month this card may interest you.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/nvidia_6600_gt/ The GT is reported
to be about $199.00 and the vanilla should be around $149.00. I'm not sure
what that is in pounds.

"Hamish" > wrote in message
> Greets
>
> I've been using a Sparkle FX5600 for a while now and feel like upgrading,
> would like to stay with an NVIDIA based card as my mate is still having
> problems with ATI's.
>
> I would also like to move to a more respected manufacturer, my Sparkle was
> ok but I did have to have it replaced once with a dodgy fan.
>
> FX5900 or better is what I'm aiming at, what are out there for my price
> range? What is anyone's experience with the card/manufacturer that they
> recommend?
>
> I'm not looking for killer performance, but would like to play things like
> Farcry and Doom 3 reasonably ( medium or above ).
>
> I may be able to push to 170 at a pinch ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Hamish
>
> --
> Go Strugglers
>
> In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
> wants. The other is getting it.

Hamish
August 12th 04, 09:51 PM
OZMAN wrote:
> If you can wait a month this card may interest you.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/nvidia_6600_gt/ The GT is
> reported to be about $199.00 and the vanilla should be around
> $149.00. I'm not sure what that is in pounds.

Cheers for that, looks good, if I don't get any other feed back I may just
try to hold on.

You know what it's like, got the cash now, don't want to wait another month
;-)

Any-one else got any recomendations?

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants. The other is getting it.

Granulated
August 13th 04, 04:23 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:51:59 +0100 "Hamish" > meeped :

>OZMAN wrote:
>> If you can wait a month this card may interest you.
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/nvidia_6600_gt/ The GT is
>> reported to be about $199.00 and the vanilla should be around
>> $149.00. I'm not sure what that is in pounds.
>>

>Cheers for that, looks good, if I don't get any other feed back I may just
>try to hold on.
>
>You know what it's like, got the cash now, don't want to wait another month
>;-)
>
>Any-one else got any recomendations?
>
>Cheers
>
>Hamish

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5915&GroupID=330

I know it aint an NV...but...
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Hamish
August 13th 04, 04:40 PM
Granulated wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:51:59 +0100 "Hamish"
> > meeped :
>
>> OZMAN wrote:
>>> If you can wait a month this card may interest you.
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/nvidia_6600_gt/ The GT is
>>> reported to be about $199.00 and the vanilla should be around
>>> $149.00. I'm not sure what that is in pounds.
>>>

>> Cheers for that, looks good, if I don't get any other feed back I
>> may just try to hold on.
>>
>> You know what it's like, got the cash now, don't want to wait
>> another month ;-)
>>
>> Any-one else got any recomendations?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Hamish
>
> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5915&GroupID=330
>
> I know it aint an NV...but...

How does it compare to FX5900 or FX5900XT?

I can get a MSI FX5900XT-VTD for 140.94 inc VAT.

Cheers

Hamish