PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 + 6800 Ultra settings

Richard Dower
August 11th 04, 03:24 AM
What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT @
2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB 4.5ms
x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.

Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to max
everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?

)-()-(
August 11th 04, 03:59 AM
Richard Dower wrote:

> What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
> running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT @
> 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
>
> Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB 4.5ms
> x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.
>
> Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
> not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to max
> everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?

You need a 512Mb Video card. Maybe you can saving your money for one.

Bean
August 11th 04, 06:23 AM
You dont need a 512mb vid card. If you have the 6800 ultra or your getting
it, you will definitely be able to play in 1600x1200 ultra mode in doom3. I
have a less powerful system for Doom3 than yours and i can run it at those
settings. I get around 44fps with a little bit of hitching and in high mode
i get 48fps and its smooth as butter in the timedemo. The actual game runs
better/smoother than the timedemo. Actual game play: Ultra is max 60fps and
low 20fps, High is max 60fps and low 30fps. You can try 2xaa or 4xaa but it
might not be worth it. 8xaf is enabled in game in high quality and utlra
quality.

I have:
AMD Athlonxp 2700+ @ 3200+
Abit Nf7-S
1024mb Corsair 3200C2 DDR @ 6-3-3-2
Regular ide setup for hardrives
Onboard Nvidia soundstorm
Ati Radeon x800xt PE 256mb ddr3 cat 4.9b

For doom3 (Opengl in general) Ati isnt as good as nvidia so you should
expect better with a 6800 ultra card in Doom 3.

")-()-(" > wrote in message
> Richard Dower wrote:
>
> > What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
> > running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin
3200LLPT @
> > 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
> >
> > Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB
4.5ms
> > x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.
> >
> > Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
> > not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to
max
> > everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?
>
> You need a 512Mb Video card. Maybe you can saving your money for one.

BigJIm
August 11th 04, 07:48 AM
Check out this review it will tell you all you need to know
about $doom3$ and graphic cards and what you can and cant do

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message
> What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
> running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT
@
> 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
>
> Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB
4.5ms
> x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.
>
> Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
> not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to max
> everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?

Granulated
August 11th 04, 01:33 PM
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:24:45 +0100 "Richard Dower" >
meeped :

>What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
>running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT @
>2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
>
>Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB 4.5ms
>x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.
>
>Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
>not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to max
>everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?

If you play at 1600 you dont really need to go higher than 4xAA
In fact 2x should do the trick.

You can run in Ultra mode "reasonably" smoothly if you have a 256MB card...but
you need to apply the now well known config tweaks...and then you're still going
to get some chugging.
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

MarkJ
August 11th 04, 02:44 PM
Running at Ultra setting/1280x1024 4xfsaa with my 6800 GT o/c to ultra,
2.6Ghz P4, 1.5GB system ram. Smooth as silk

Timedemo gets 44fps

regards

Erik
August 11th 04, 03:44 PM
Hey.
I`m using alomst the same hw.
Abit IC7Max3 [email protected] 1024 Corsair 2-2-2-5 and POV 6800Ultra 450\1150
1280x1024 All to max\Ultra 80 fps, 4xAA8AF 55 fps (1600x1200 all max\Ultra
60 fps)

Erik
Norway

"Richard Dower" > skrev i melding
> What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
> running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT
@
> 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
>
> Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1, FH BIOS, Western Digital Raptors, 74GB
4.5ms
> x2 RAID 0. Audigy 2 ZS, Antec 550W PSU.
>
> Is it true you can't enable the ultra high quality mode?, and why
> not?...what about enabling AA/AF at max settings....i mean, i want to max
> everything out to the max, so what FPS can i expect?

Richard Dower
August 11th 04, 07:59 PM
"Erik" > wrote in message
> Hey.
> I`m using alomst the same hw.
> Abit IC7Max3 [email protected] 1024 Corsair 2-2-2-5 and POV 6800Ultra 450\1150
> 1280x1024 All to max\Ultra 80 fps, 4xAA8AF 55 fps (1600x1200 all max\Ultra
> 60 fps)
>
> Erik
> Norway

Thanks Erik, and to all who responded. I am gonna try get a 3.2EE if
possible, any place i can get a good deal or a CPU second hand?

Jean
August 11th 04, 09:00 PM
Your timedemo is smooth as silk ?? What did you do ? I never saw a 44 fps that look so bad..

"MarkJ" > wrote in message .. .
> Running at Ultra setting/1280x1024 4xfsaa with my 6800 GT o/c to ultra,
> 2.6Ghz P4, 1.5GB system ram. Smooth as silk
>
> Timedemo gets 44fps
>
> regards

Erik
August 11th 04, 10:18 PM
Run it 2 times :-)

"Jean" > skrev i melding
. ..
> Your timedemo is smooth as silk ?? What did you do ? I never saw a 44
fps that look so bad..

> "MarkJ" > wrote in message
.. .
> > Running at Ultra setting/1280x1024 4xfsaa with my 6800 GT o/c to ultra,
> > 2.6Ghz P4, 1.5GB system ram. Smooth as silk
> >
> > Timedemo gets 44fps
> >
> > regards

Jeff B
August 11th 04, 10:49 PM
Richard Dower wrote:
> What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
> running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin 3200LLPT @
> 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.

What is DDR210?

Richard Dower
August 11th 04, 11:19 PM
"Jeff B" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

> Richard Dower wrote:
>> What are the highest quality settings you can enable with this card?,
>> running a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.37GHz + 1024 MB of Corsair Twin
>> 3200LLPT @ 2-3-2-5 and overlcoked to DDR210.
>
> What is DDR210?

Sorry, FSB is 210, DDR420.

MarkJ
August 13th 04, 12:55 PM
You must ignore the first because unlike the actual game there is no
precaching on the timedemo

regards