PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 Bad fps on 6800 Ultra wtf? :S

Andrew
August 10th 04, 10:21 PM
I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
they wasnt no driver conflicts
installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
all my other games run fine
i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
my spec system
is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S

my specs are

P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
1gig dual ddr 400
Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
Sound blaster Audigy 2

TIA

Andy

JK
August 10th 04, 10:54 PM
Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

Andrew wrote:

> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Andrew
August 10th 04, 11:02 PM
ROFL u saying a 3gig p4 aint good enough to run it above 60fps without
AA + AF my m8 has a 2.8 p4 with a 6800 gt and he runs it 1280x1024 4x
AA 4 AF and his fps is solid 60fps mines dropping to 30fps without AA
:S
U think im gonna throw away money to buy a 64 bit cpu when they aint
nothing up with the one i have lol

Andy

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400, JK > wrote:

>Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
>Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
>Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
>
>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
>
>Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
>Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
>the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
>
>http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=
>
>Andrew wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>> all my other games run fine
>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>> my spec system
>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>
>> my specs are
>>
>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Andy

Philburg2
August 10th 04, 11:24 PM
Probably because he doesn't have it on ultra quality which optimally runs
with a 512mb video card.

I'm so sick of ppl not knowing you really can't max this game out with
current hardware.

BTW, 30 fps is still respectable so shut up.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> ROFL u saying a 3gig p4 aint good enough to run it above 60fps without
> AA + AF my m8 has a 2.8 p4 with a 6800 gt and he runs it 1280x1024 4x
> AA 4 AF and his fps is solid 60fps mines dropping to 30fps without AA
> :S
> U think im gonna throw away money to buy a 64 bit cpu when they aint
> nothing up with the one i have lol
>
> Andy
>

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400, JK > wrote:
>
> >Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
> >Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
> >Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
> >
> >http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
> >
> >Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
> >Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
> >the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
> >
> >http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=
> >
> >Andrew wrote:
> >
> >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> >> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> >> all my other games run fine
> >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> >> my spec system
> >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
> >>
> >> my specs are
> >>
> >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> >> 1gig dual ddr 400
> >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Andy

Andrew
August 10th 04, 11:45 PM
im aware that ultra high is for 512mb cards uncompressed textures wich
is about 500mb
im talking about high wich is for 256mb cards, and yes 30fps is
respectable if u running a fx5700 ;) and BTW you shut up :P

can anyone give me some helpfull information

TIA

Andy

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:24:17 GMT, "Philburg2"
> wrote:

>Probably because he doesn't have it on ultra quality which optimally runs
>with a 512mb video card.
>
>I'm so sick of ppl not knowing you really can't max this game out with
>current hardware.
>
>BTW, 30 fps is still respectable so shut up.
>

>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>> ROFL u saying a 3gig p4 aint good enough to run it above 60fps without
>> AA + AF my m8 has a 2.8 p4 with a 6800 gt and he runs it 1280x1024 4x
>> AA 4 AF and his fps is solid 60fps mines dropping to 30fps without AA
>> :S
>> U think im gonna throw away money to buy a 64 bit cpu when they aint
>> nothing up with the one i have lol
>>
>> Andy
>>

>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400, JK > wrote:
>>
>> >Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
>> >Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
>> >Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
>> >
>> >http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
>> >
>> >Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
>> >Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
>> >the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
>> >
>> >http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

Bill Crocker
August 11th 04, 12:11 AM
C A U T I O N ! ! !

Troll Meter
|iiiii|iiiii|iiiii|iiiii|ii^ii|
0 100

Bill Crocker

"JK" > wrote in message
> Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
> Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
> Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
>
> Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
> Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
> the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
>
> http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=
>
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>> all my other games run fine
>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>> my spec system
>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>
>> my specs are
>>
>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Andy

Bruin
August 11th 04, 12:13 AM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

What the heck ya got the settings at? Resolution?

Les
August 11th 04, 12:17 AM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

what drivers are you using? also why not try installing DX9.0c and see what
happens?

PS get that from tekheads per chance? I have a Leadtek 6800 GT coming from
them tomorrow (today!?!?) will do some benches.
--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Andrew
August 11th 04, 12:17 AM
driver default settings and in game im running it in 1280x1024 i
tried 4x,2x, no aa dont make any difrence i get bad fps
i tried to reinstall doom 3 but no good i tried these tweaks also but
made no difrence
http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

but all my other games run ****hot i can run farcry in 1600x1200 4x AA
16x AF and no lag what so ever :)
but i wannt play doom :'(

TiA

Andy

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:13:11 -0400, "Bruin"
> wrote:

>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>> all my other games run fine
>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>> my spec system
>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>
>> my specs are
>>
>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Andy
>
>What the heck ya got the settings at? Resolution?

Andrew
August 11th 04, 12:25 AM
Im using the 61.77 drivers i tried the 61.76 but just the same
yes i did try using directx 9.0c thats when i had the trouble so i
formatted & reinstalled xp and just tried with directx 9.0b but it
just the same :S
ill try putting directx 9.0c again see if that helps

thnx

Andy

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:17:08 +0100, "Les" > wrote:

>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>> all my other games run fine
>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>> my spec system
>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>
>> my specs are
>>
>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Andy
>
>what drivers are you using? also why not try installing DX9.0c and see what
>happens?
>
>PS get that from tekheads per chance? I have a Leadtek 6800 GT coming from
>them tomorrow (today!?!?) will do some benches.

Bruin
August 11th 04, 02:18 AM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> driver default settings and in game im running it in 1280x1024 i
> tried 4x,2x, no aa dont make any difrence i get bad fps
> i tried to reinstall doom 3 but no good i tried these tweaks also but
> made no difrence
> http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/
>
> but all my other games run ****hot i can run farcry in 1600x1200 4x AA
> 16x AF and no lag what so ever :)
> but i wannt play doom :'(
>
> TiA
>
> Andy

Set to high quality? Or Ultra high? Set it to high quality. Recheck that
res, seems like it's at 1200x1600, be sure that Vsync is off but I dont
think that is holding you up. Ultra high is really only if you got the
topoftheline CPU or one of them in the future 512 meg video cards.. Most
are not able to play D3 at Ultra Quality. You will love the game at high
quality. 60 dropping to 30 when there is alot of action is very acceptable
frame rates anyhow.

Play it awhile, I bet you find it very playable right now.

SkyFox
August 11th 04, 03:02 AM
Are you using the dualview capabilities of your video card?
Enabling nview multiple monitors has a very very negative impact on doom3
performance, as explained here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html

On my system (P4-2.6, 1024MB RAM and FX5900XT), I get over 30 fps in high
quality and performance drops to less than 5 fps when both monitors
(extended desktop) are activated.
Try to disable the 2nd monitor if you have one and let test again !

"Andrew" > a écrit dans le message de
> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Chuck S
August 11th 04, 03:19 AM
I had a Geforce FX5900Xt and just upgraded to 6800GT and had slow FPS. I
uninstalled Doom 3 and reinstalled and now Iam Running at High 1240x1024
Time Demo was 37 fps average. Very smooth. I think it somehow gets screwed
up when swithching cards. Dont forget to backup your saved games.
"Andrew" > wrote in message
>I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Richard Dower
August 11th 04, 03:26 AM
"Chuck S" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
>I had a Geforce FX5900Xt and just upgraded to 6800GT and had slow FPS. I
>uninstalled Doom 3 and reinstalled and now Iam Running at High 1240x1024
>Time Demo was 37 fps average. Very smooth. I think it somehow gets screwed
>up when swithching cards. Dont forget to backup your saved games.

Why can't you play at 1600x1200?, and is AA/AF turned up the the max?

You would think the 6800 Ultra would be able to have all settings on high
and 1600x1200....for a $600 card you should expect nothing less.

Biz
August 11th 04, 05:18 AM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> im aware that ultra high is for 512mb cards uncompressed textures wich
> is about 500mb
> im talking about high wich is for 256mb cards, and yes 30fps is
> respectable if u running a fx5700 ;) and BTW you shut up :P
>
> can anyone give me some helpfull information

Sure, stay in school because your grammar and spelling are atrocious....

And the other poster didnt say your P4 wasnt good enough to run Doom, he
said it was a bad choice for running Doom, big difference..although I'm not
sure you could understand that

Granulated
August 11th 04, 01:28 PM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400 JK > meeped :

>Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.

ridiculous statement !
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Granulated
August 11th 04, 01:29 PM
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 04:02:47 +0200 "SkyFox" >
meeped :

>Are you using the dualview capabilities of your video card?
>Enabling nview multiple monitors has a very very negative impact on doom3
>performance, as explained here:
>
>http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html
>
>On my system (P4-2.6, 1024MB RAM and FX5900XT), I get over 30 fps in high
>quality and performance drops to less than 5 fps when both monitors
>(extended desktop) are activated.
>Try to disable the 2nd monitor if you have one and let test again !

ahh.. i was gonna suggest the same "tweak"
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Eric
August 11th 04, 02:56 PM
Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> all my other games run fine
> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> my spec system
> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>
> my specs are
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Andrew
August 11th 04, 10:40 PM
Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
default driver quality settings
The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
so i done the same benchmark 3 times
but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky

Everything in advanced settings was on
v-sync was tunred off

Timedemo demo1

1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
55.4 fps
67.5 fps
68.1 fps

1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
45.3 fps
53.0 fps
53.2 fps

1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
35.4 fps
39.9 fps
40.1 fps

1600 x 1200 no AA High
52.5 fps
62.9 fps
62.6 fps

1600 x 1200 2x AA High
47.0 fps
54.8 fps
54.6 fps

1600 x 1200 4x AA High
36.8 fps
41.2 fps
41.4 fps

Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
settings / driver's and system specs plz

TIA

Andy

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" > wrote:

>Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
>doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
>similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
>

>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>> all my other games run fine
>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>> my spec system
>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>
>> my specs are
>>
>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Andy

Granulated
August 11th 04, 10:51 PM
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100 Andrew > meeped :

http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Andrew
August 11th 04, 11:00 PM
ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(

wrote:

>Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
>default driver quality settings
>The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
>but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
>so i done the same benchmark 3 times
> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
>

>Everything in advanced settings was on
>v-sync was tunred off
>
>Timedemo demo1
>
>1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
>55.4 fps
>67.5 fps
>68.1 fps
>
>1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
>45.3 fps
>53.0 fps
>53.2 fps
>
>1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
>35.4 fps
>39.9 fps
>40.1 fps
>
>1600 x 1200 no AA High
>52.5 fps
>62.9 fps
>62.6 fps
>
>1600 x 1200 2x AA High
>47.0 fps
>54.8 fps
>54.6 fps
>
>1600 x 1200 4x AA High
>36.8 fps
>41.2 fps
>41.4 fps
>
>Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
>settings / driver's and system specs plz
>
>TIA
>
>Andy
>
>P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>1gig dual ddr 400
>Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" > wrote:
>
>>Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
>>doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
>>similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
>>

>>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
>>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
>>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
>>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
>>> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
>>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
>>> all my other games run fine
>>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
>>> my spec system
>>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
>>>
>>> my specs are
>>>
>>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>>> 1gig dual ddr 400
>>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Andy

JBM
August 12th 04, 12:07 AM
Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
but the game is not.

Jim M

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
> and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
> with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(
>
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100, Andrew >
> wrote:
>
>>Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
>>default driver quality settings
>>The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
>>but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
>>so i done the same benchmark 3 times
>> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
>>

>>Everything in advanced settings was on
>>v-sync was tunred off
>>
>>Timedemo demo1
>>
>>1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
>>55.4 fps
>>67.5 fps
>>68.1 fps
>>
>>1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
>>45.3 fps
>>53.0 fps
>>53.2 fps
>>
>>1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
>>35.4 fps
>>39.9 fps
>>40.1 fps
>>
>>1600 x 1200 no AA High
>>52.5 fps
>>62.9 fps
>>62.6 fps
>>
>>1600 x 1200 2x AA High
>>47.0 fps
>>54.8 fps
>>54.6 fps
>>
>>1600 x 1200 4x AA High
>>36.8 fps
>>41.2 fps
>>41.4 fps
>>
>>Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
>>settings / driver's and system specs plz
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Andy
>>
>>P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>>1gig dual ddr 400
>>Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>>

>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" > wrote:
>>
>>>Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
>>>doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate
>>>against
>>>similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.

Andrew
August 12th 04, 06:44 AM
The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
cache settings , video ram size etc from
http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P

Andy

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:07:28 -0600, "JBM" >
wrote:

>Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
>In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
>but the game is not.
>
>Jim M
>
>"Andrew" > wrote in message
>> ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
>> and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
>> with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100, Andrew >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
>>>default driver quality settings
>>>The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
>>>but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
>>>so i done the same benchmark 3 times
>>> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
>>>

>>>Everything in advanced settings was on
>>>v-sync was tunred off
>>>
>>>Timedemo demo1
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
>>>55.4 fps
>>>67.5 fps
>>>68.1 fps
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
>>>45.3 fps
>>>53.0 fps
>>>53.2 fps
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
>>>35.4 fps
>>>39.9 fps
>>>40.1 fps
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 no AA High
>>>52.5 fps
>>>62.9 fps
>>>62.6 fps
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 2x AA High
>>>47.0 fps
>>>54.8 fps
>>>54.6 fps
>>>
>>>1600 x 1200 4x AA High
>>>36.8 fps
>>>41.2 fps
>>>41.4 fps
>>>
>>>Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
>>>settings / driver's and system specs plz
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Andy
>>>
>>>P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
>>>1gig dual ddr 400
>>>Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
>>> Sound blaster Audigy 2

Granulated
August 12th 04, 01:39 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:44:42 +0100 Andrew > meeped :

>The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
>cache settings , video ram size etc from
>http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
>and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
>75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
>thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
>
>Andy

ahhh... i pasted that link yesterday...it's very thorough
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Eric
August 12th 04, 02:24 PM
Don't worry about the jerkiness in the initial time demo. It is cacheing
the textures then. It is jerky for everyone on the first run.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
> cache settings , video ram size etc from
> http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
> and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
> 75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
> thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
>
> Andy
>
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:07:28 -0600, "JBM" >
> wrote:
>
> >Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
> >In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
> >but the game is not.
> >
> >Jim M
> >
> >"Andrew" > wrote in message
> >> ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
> >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
> >> and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
> >> with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(

:S

Eric
August 12th 04, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't mess with tweaking too much. You shouldn't need to tweak at ALL
with that card and lose visual impact.

You SHOULD check that the settings are correct - such as this setting:
com_videoram

Like a lot of people, I found that the game detected this wrong. It said 64
for me, when I have a 128 mb card.

If yours says 64 (or 128), change it to what your card has : I think 256.

That helped me. And I have a geforce fx 5900XT.

The 1st benchmark run is jerky for EVERYONE -- it is caching textures.
Always report the 2nd or 3rd run.

And your timedemo runs look fine -- check out www.tomshardware.com (they
ran some benchmarks with your card).

Also, make sure your Nvidia driver settings are not overriding the game
settings.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
> Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
> default driver quality settings
> The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
> but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
> so i done the same benchmark 3 times
> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
>

> Everything in advanced settings was on
> v-sync was tunred off
>
> Timedemo demo1
>
> 1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
> 55.4 fps
> 67.5 fps
> 68.1 fps
>
> 1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
> 45.3 fps
> 53.0 fps
> 53.2 fps
>
> 1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
> 35.4 fps
> 39.9 fps
> 40.1 fps
>
> 1600 x 1200 no AA High
> 52.5 fps
> 62.9 fps
> 62.6 fps
>
> 1600 x 1200 2x AA High
> 47.0 fps
> 54.8 fps
> 54.6 fps
>
> 1600 x 1200 4x AA High
> 36.8 fps
> 41.2 fps
> 41.4 fps
>
> Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
> settings / driver's and system specs plz
>
> TIA
>
> Andy
>
> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> 1gig dual ddr 400
> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> Sound blaster Audigy 2
>

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" > wrote:
>
> >Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
> >doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate
against
> >similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
> >

> >"Andrew" > wrote in message
> >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
> >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
> >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
> >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
> >> runs **** poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
> >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
> >> all my other games run fine
> >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
> >> my spec system
> >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
> >>
> >> my specs are
> >>
> >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
> >> 1gig dual ddr 400
> >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
> >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Andy

Andrew
August 12th 04, 06:09 PM
Yeah that helped alot m8 thnx :)
it runs perfect now i changed cache settings and changed com_videoram
to 256 it was on 64mb :S

Andy

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:39:29 GMT, Granulated
> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:44:42 +0100 Andrew > meeped :
>
>>The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
>>cache settings , video ram size etc from
>>http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
>>and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
>>75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
>>thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
>>
>>Andy
>
>ahhh... i pasted that link yesterday...it's very thorough

Eric Witte
August 12th 04, 06:12 PM
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message >...
> "Chuck S" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> >I had a Geforce FX5900Xt and just upgraded to 6800GT and had slow FPS. I
> >uninstalled Doom 3 and reinstalled and now Iam Running at High 1240x1024
> >Time Demo was 37 fps average. Very smooth. I think it somehow gets screwed
> >up when swithching cards. Dont forget to backup your saved games.
>
> Why can't you play at 1600x1200?, and is AA/AF turned up the the max?
>
> You would think the 6800 Ultra would be able to have all settings on high
> and 1600x1200....for a $600 card you should expect nothing less.

Even with a $600 card it would run crap at that resolution and
8xAA/16xAF (max settings). At Ultra core/mem settings I get over 50fps
on the timedemo at 1600x1200 2xAA/8xAA though. With a stock 2.6C.

Eric