PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking Doom3

orlando
August 10th 04, 06:37 PM
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

I followed the instructions there (i didnt creat an autoexec.cfg though,
i just pasted the tweak into base/Doomconfig.cfg) my performance jumped
from 13 to 40 fps (800*60,High Quality) (!!!)

Sys:[email protected],256MB [email protected],GF4 [email protected]/650

inredible! Try it!

Eric
August 10th 04, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't do it, unless you have low level vid card/CPU. I don't want to
compromise visual quality. Doom3 is all about visual quality.

"orlando" > wrote in message
> http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm
>
> I followed the instructions there (i didnt creat an autoexec.cfg though,
> i just pasted the tweak into base/Doomconfig.cfg) my performance jumped
> from 13 to 40 fps (800*60,High Quality) (!!!)
>
> Sys:[email protected],256MB [email protected],GF4 [email protected]/650
>
> inredible! Try it!

Granulated
August 10th 04, 07:48 PM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:00:00 -0400 "Eric" > meeped :

>I wouldn't do it, unless you have low level vid card/CPU. I don't want to
>compromise visual quality. Doom3 is all about visual quality.

yeh...doesn't it look...well..weird...without bumps.

--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

McGrandpa
August 10th 04, 09:17 PM
orlando wrote:
> http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm
>
> I followed the instructions there (i didnt creat an autoexec.cfg
> though, i just pasted the tweak into base/Doomconfig.cfg) my
> performance jumped from 13 to 40 fps (800*60,High Quality) (!!!)
>
> Sys:[email protected],256MB [email protected],GF4 [email protected]/650
>
> inredible! Try it!

I just discovered last night that if I don't put some things in an
autoexec.cfg then Doom often edits and excises certain entries. Like
seta com_allowConsole "1" gets removed from Doomconfig.cfg but stays put
in the autoexec.cfg

It's also easier to tweak>run>tweak>run keeping the autoexec open and
editing that, it's got a lot less in it.
McG.

First of One
August 15th 04, 08:59 PM
Anyone serious about play Doom3 online will probably turn off bumpmapping
and all the shadows. :-) For one thing, it should improve performance
dramatically. It also removes all the dark ambush spots.

"Granulated" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:00:00 -0400 "Eric" > meeped :
>
> >I wouldn't do it, unless you have low level vid card/CPU. I don't want
> >compromise visual quality. Doom3 is all about visual quality.
>
> yeh...doesn't it look...well..weird...without bumps.
>
> --
>

> ) ___ ______
> (__/_____) /) (, / )
> / __ _ (/ _ /---( __ _/_ _
> / (_(_/ (_(__/ )_(_(_ ) / ____)(_(_/ (_(__/_)_
> (______) (_/ (

PRIVATE1964
August 15th 04, 09:14 PM
>Anyone serious about play Doom3 online will probably turn off bumpmapping

Without bumps though wouldn't life be boring?

Biz
August 15th 04, 10:54 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Anyone serious about play Doom3 online will probably turn off bumpmapping
>
> Without bumps though wouldn't life be boring?

Unfortunately the sad fact remains that online players are looking for one
thing, a way to get any advantage possible over the other online players.
They couldnt care less about PQ online.