PDA

View Full Version : UK - AOpen 6800GT or what...


Toch
August 10th 04, 01:24 PM
I just received a supposed Aopen 6800GT. The box is an ordinary Aopen 6800
one but with a 6800GT sticker hastily stuck on it and the card which looks
new does not mention Aopen or 6800GT on it anywhere and definitely does not
look like the card advertised on their site - looks more like the reference
cards sent to review sites with the mermaid on it. Anyone else in the UK
receive such an 'Aopen' card recently?

I got this from PC Component Centre otherwise known as Dixons. What was I
thinking? Oh, I know, they had them in stock - no bloody wonder! I guess I
should have known better :((.

Nicolai
August 10th 04, 02:16 PM
> I got this from PC Component Centre otherwise known as Dixons. What was I
> thinking? Oh, I know, they had them in stock - no bloody wonder! I guess I
> should have known better :((.

Return it. You did not get what you ordered.

Paul Williams
August 10th 04, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my 6800 GT from overclockers.co.uk, for
316 or so.

Going for the MSI one because I have an MSI motherboard, and I like
their stuff. I can probably overclock the GT to Ultra rates too.

You might want to try ebuyer.co.uk too.

But for most of my stuff I go to www.dabs.co.uk, those guys are great.
I ordered a new harddrive the other week at 3:30pm and it arrived the
next morning! Also today ordered a Belkin Nostromo N52 game pad. I
expect it will be here tomorrow!

Pity they don't have any 6800GT is stock at the moment!

Regards,
Paul


Toch wrote:
> I just received a supposed Aopen 6800GT. The box is an ordinary Aopen 6800
> one but with a 6800GT sticker hastily stuck on it and the card which looks
> new does not mention Aopen or 6800GT on it anywhere and definitely does not
> look like the card advertised on their site - looks more like the reference
> cards sent to review sites with the mermaid on it. Anyone else in the UK
> receive such an 'Aopen' card recently?
>
> I got this from PC Component Centre otherwise known as Dixons. What was I
> thinking? Oh, I know, they had them in stock - no bloody wonder! I guess I
> should have known better :((.
>
>

Toch
August 10th 04, 03:00 PM
I agree. Indeed, I have just requested an RMA. I hope the return process is
better than the buying. Fingers crossed - but first got the address of
Trading Standards.

"Nicolai" > wrote in message
. ..
> > I got this from PC Component Centre otherwise known as Dixons. What was
I
> > thinking? Oh, I know, they had them in stock - no bloody wonder! I guess
I
> > should have known better :((.
>
> Return it. You did not get what you ordered.
>
>

Nick Le Lievre
August 10th 04, 03:42 PM
"Paul Williams" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting my 6800 GT from overclockers.co.uk, for
> 316 or so.
>

316 is a lot of money - that includes VAT I suppose. What kind of graphics
card do you own at the moment ?

Chip
August 10th 04, 04:03 PM
"Nick Le Lievre" > wrote in message
...
> "Paul Williams" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm thinking of getting my 6800 GT from overclockers.co.uk, for
> > 316 or so.
> >
>
> 316 is a lot of money - that includes VAT I suppose. What kind of
graphics
> card do you own at the moment ?
>

I bought a BFG 6800GT from PC Component Centre (aka PC World online) for
278 plus 7 next day delivery. It does exactly what it says on the tin -
I'm very impressed with it.

I only bought of the dreaded PC World because - incredibly - its actually
quite a good price, unlike their normal rip offs.

Chip

Paul Williams
August 10th 04, 04:23 PM
Hi,

You are right about the price being high. I checked earlier and the MSI
GT is actually advertised at about 276 with VAT at Dabs. Just waiting
for stock.

I have a Creative GF4 Ti4200 at the moment. Overclocked slightly!

I did a test the other day and updated my drivers to 61.77 and I get
about 9900 in 3DMark2001. This is a 20% increase in performance
over my old drivers BTW, which gave a score of 8300! (I cant remember
what number the old drivers were though).

I run a Pentium 2.4GHz overclocked to 2.6.
Also have 1GB RAM with CAS set to 2.

Regards,
Paul


Nick Le Lievre wrote:

> "Paul Williams" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm thinking of getting my 6800 GT from overclockers.co.uk, for
>>316 or so.
>>
>
>
> 316 is a lot of money - that includes VAT I suppose. What kind of graphics
> card do you own at the moment ?
>
>

Paul Williams
August 10th 04, 04:25 PM
Hi,

My only issue is what manufacturer to go for.

The PC World shop in Bangor doesn't tend to stock anything
higher than a FX5900, and they are either Verto or PNY.

If Hercules were still in the market I'd probably get one
of their's.

Regards,
Paul


Chip wrote:

> "Nick Le Lievre" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>"Paul Williams" > wrote in message
...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm thinking of getting my 6800 GT from overclockers.co.uk, for
>>>316 or so.
>>>
>>
>> 316 is a lot of money - that includes VAT I suppose. What kind of
>
> graphics
>
>>card do you own at the moment ?
>>
>
>
> I bought a BFG 6800GT from PC Component Centre (aka PC World online) for
> 278 plus 7 next day delivery. It does exactly what it says on the tin -
> I'm very impressed with it.
>
> I only bought of the dreaded PC World because - incredibly - its actually
> quite a good price, unlike their normal rip offs.
>
> Chip
>
>

Chip
August 11th 04, 01:54 PM
"Paul Williams" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> You are right about the price being high. I checked earlier and the MSI
> GT is actually advertised at about 276 with VAT at Dabs. Just waiting
> for stock.

Incidentally, the www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk price for a BFG 6800GT has
come down to 258 now. Bugger. That's 20 less than I spent only last
week.

Chip

Toch
August 12th 04, 01:46 AM
Since posting this, I have found out a few things. It seems there are two
types of AOpen cards on sale - at least in the UK. There is one with a
mermaid picture on the heatsink, no Aopen markers, two missing large
capacitors on the right side in a 6800 box with a 6800GT sticker shoved on
it. Then there's the other one with three-faces image on the heatsink, Aopen
branding, extra capacitors and a 6800GT printed box. Seems that the first is
the early rushed-to-market version and the latter the more considered
designed version with extra capacitors (likely for stability). I am told
that the first does not overclock well atall - you'l be lucky to get
380/1.6. In my view, the first should be way cheaper. Had I seen this in a
shop, I would NOT have bought it. These are expensive cards and should be
properly put together for market. Aopen rants on about its name and
quality... Sadly it does not here live up to it here. Very poor performance
all round.

I note too that PC Component Centre is dragging its feet over taking the
card back - in spitre of it obviously not fitting the product description. I
am being given the runaround... Suppose this is typical Dixons mentality.
NEVER AGAIN!


"Toch" > wrote in message
...
> I just received a supposed Aopen 6800GT. The box is an ordinary Aopen 6800
> one but with a 6800GT sticker hastily stuck on it and the card which looks
> new does not mention Aopen or 6800GT on it anywhere and definitely does
not
> look like the card advertised on their site - looks more like the
reference
> cards sent to review sites with the mermaid on it. Anyone else in the UK
> receive such an 'Aopen' card recently?
>
> I got this from PC Component Centre otherwise known as Dixons. What was I
> thinking? Oh, I know, they had them in stock - no bloody wonder! I guess I
> should have known better :((.
>
>