PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT Ghosting

Gary
August 7th 04, 02:43 PM
I just replaced an ATI 9700 Pro with an 6800 GT and if I use any refresh
rate over 60 Hz with the 6800 I get ghosting.
I have a Samsung SyncMaster 950p monitor which didn't have any problems with
any of the refresh rates with the ATI.
I'm using drivers 61.77 and tried the driver that I got from eVGA (61.64 I
think) and had the same problem.
So I have my questions are:
1. Is my card broken?
2. Is there a compatability problem with my monitor and the 6800 GT?
3. Is a higher or lower refresh rate better?
4. Does anybody know how to fix it?
I'm very happy with the card otherwise my games look better, with a higher
frame rate. The flickering buildings in CoH are gone, and I'm going to
reinstall Jane's FA-18 and see if the grids are gone later, unless of course
someone can answer that too.
Thanks
Gary

CapFusion
August 10th 04, 01:30 AM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> I just replaced an ATI 9700 Pro with an 6800 GT and if I use any refresh
> rate over 60 Hz with the 6800 I get ghosting.
> I have a Samsung SyncMaster 950p monitor which didn't have any problems
with
> any of the refresh rates with the ATI.
> I'm using drivers 61.77 and tried the driver that I got from eVGA (61.64 I
> think) and had the same problem.
> So I have my questions are:
> 1. Is my card broken?
> 2. Is there a compatability problem with my monitor and the 6800 GT?
> 3. Is a higher or lower refresh rate better?
> 4. Does anybody know how to fix it?
> I'm very happy with the card otherwise my games look better, with a higher
> frame rate. The flickering buildings in CoH are gone, and I'm going to
> reinstall Jane's FA-18 and see if the grids are gone later, unless of
course
> someone can answer that too.
> Thanks
> Gary

One way to find out if the VGA or Monitor problem.
Having 60Hz for VGA and Monitor should not be any problem.
Try another monitor and see if there will be ghosting at the same setting.
If it does, VGA problem. But if ok on another monitor, then I would assume
the problem is the monitor.

CapFusion,..

SkykingUSA
August 27th 04, 06:08 AM
I have the exact same problem! It's very annoying to see significant
ghosting on all text with this card. I switched from an ATI Radeon
9700 too. I tried driver versions 61.77 and 61.76 and now I'm running
version 66.00 from Guru3D.com. On all 3 of these versions I get major
ghosting at refresh rates over 60 Hz. This sucks.

Is anyone else getting this problem? We must find a way to resolve it
or I'm gonna have to return this card. I can't take this for long.

I suspect it's driver related because my monitor was not ghosting when
I had the standard Windows VGA driver installed - I'm pretty sure I
was not running at 60 Hz then either.

I'm going to keep looking for drivers to fix this issue.

By the way, I'm running the 66.00 version now because the earlier
versions would cause Doom 3 to freeze the screen when I tried to close
it. I had to End Task the process called ~e5.0001 in order for the
game to close. I hope NVidia gets there drivers in order soon!

SkykingUSA

"Gary" > wrote in message >...
> I just replaced an ATI 9700 Pro with an 6800 GT and if I use any refresh
> rate over 60 Hz with the 6800 I get ghosting.
> I have a Samsung SyncMaster 950p monitor which didn't have any problems with
> any of the refresh rates with the ATI.
> I'm using drivers 61.77 and tried the driver that I got from eVGA (61.64 I
> think) and had the same problem.
> So I have my questions are:
> 1. Is my card broken?
> 2. Is there a compatability problem with my monitor and the 6800 GT?
> 3. Is a higher or lower refresh rate better?
> 4. Does anybody know how to fix it?
> I'm very happy with the card otherwise my games look better, with a higher
> frame rate. The flickering buildings in CoH are gone, and I'm going to
> reinstall Jane's FA-18 and see if the grids are gone later, unless of course
> someone can answer that too.
> Thanks
> Gary

SkykingUSA
August 27th 04, 07:48 AM
Just wanted you to know that I solved my ghosting problem.

I found some other links online and one guy said he had the same
problem AND that he was going through a Belkin KVM - so am I. He said
that he had to swap out his generic monitor cables for high quality
ones and the ghosting went away. Well, I don't have any high quality
cables around that will plug into my Belkin KVM, but fortunately, my
monitor has 2 video inputs. So, I took a thicker, "high quality"
monitor cable that came with my monitor (and still connected to my
monitor) and connected it to my BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC directly and
HOLY CRAP! My monitor looks clearer than it has ever looked before!

I have no ghosting at any resolution or refresh rate now and the
picture couldn't be clearer. It is truly amazing - I never would have
thought that a thicker monitor cable would make such a huge
difference. The Belkin cables I was using are very thin, and they
don't have that magnetic round thing near the ends of the cables
either.

I hope you have the same success that I do with your setup. Try
connecting your monitor cable (the thick one that came with your
monitor) directly to your video card and see what happens. Hopefully,
it is not already like that for you now. Or, hopefully you are
currently using a thin "low quality" monitor cable.

SkykingUSA

"Gary" > wrote in message >...
> I just replaced an ATI 9700 Pro with an 6800 GT and if I use any refresh
> rate over 60 Hz with the 6800 I get ghosting.
> I have a Samsung SyncMaster 950p monitor which didn't have any problems with
> any of the refresh rates with the ATI.
> I'm using drivers 61.77 and tried the driver that I got from eVGA (61.64 I
> think) and had the same problem.
> So I have my questions are:
> 1. Is my card broken?
> 2. Is there a compatability problem with my monitor and the 6800 GT?
> 3. Is a higher or lower refresh rate better?
> 4. Does anybody know how to fix it?
> I'm very happy with the card otherwise my games look better, with a higher
> frame rate. The flickering buildings in CoH are gone, and I'm going to
> reinstall Jane's FA-18 and see if the grids are gone later, unless of course
> someone can answer that too.
> Thanks
> Gary

First of One
August 28th 04, 03:04 AM
You gotta tell us these things! The normal 15-pin d-sub cable is analog, so
a cheap cable or any kind of interconnect will degrade image quality. KVM
switches, monitor extension cables, Voodoo passthrough cables, they all
suffer this problem. In fact, back in the Voodoo2 days, Creative Labs was
criticized for packaging a cheap passthrough cable with its card, just to be
the first on market.

om...