PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 framerate solved (5900SE) - turn off second monitor support

idog
August 4th 04, 09:45 AM
P4 3.0GHz, 5900SE, 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers

I was having strange problem with doom3. Sometimes my framerate was
in the 30s and sometimes it was 3-5. No rhyme or reason???????????

I tried just about everything else first. As soon as I disabled my
second monitor, my framerate was solid.

I was convinced it was sound related because dialog seemed to cause
problems.

Spack
August 4th 04, 10:00 AM
"idog" > wrote in message
om...
> P4 3.0GHz, 5900SE, 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers
>
> I was having strange problem with doom3. Sometimes my framerate was
> in the 30s and sometimes it was 3-5. No rhyme or reason???????????
>
> I tried just about everything else first. As soon as I disabled my
> second monitor, my framerate was solid.
>
> I was convinced it was sound related because dialog seemed to cause
> problems.

Strange. I'm running my 5900XT with the 56.72s in dualview with a TV
connected up displaying IRC so I can up with chats while gaming, and Doom3
has been running nicely - default settings on an XP2400 give me 59fps in
demo1, and running around Alpha Labs 2 I've been getting 45 - 60fps, no slow
downs that I've noticed.

Dan

Eric
August 4th 04, 02:36 PM
Umm, timedemo 1 of 59 fps in timedemo1? ? I don't believe it. What are
your machine specs?

Also, what game settings are you running: what resolution, what settings,
etc.

Did you turn off anything in advanced settings?

That sounds mighty high -- as only the GeForce 6800s were getting that high
in high quality at 1024 x 768.

"Spack" > wrote in message
.. .
> "idog" > wrote in message
> om...
> > P4 3.0GHz, 5900SE, 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers
> >
> > I was having strange problem with doom3. Sometimes my framerate was
> > in the 30s and sometimes it was 3-5. No rhyme or reason???????????
> >
> > I tried just about everything else first. As soon as I disabled my
> > second monitor, my framerate was solid.
> >
> > I was convinced it was sound related because dialog seemed to cause
> > problems.
>
> Strange. I'm running my 5900XT with the 56.72s in dualview with a TV
> connected up displaying IRC so I can up with chats while gaming, and Doom3
> has been running nicely - default settings on an XP2400 give me 59fps in
> demo1, and running around Alpha Labs 2 I've been getting 45 - 60fps, no
slow
> downs that I've noticed.
>
> Dan

Spack
August 4th 04, 03:43 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
> Umm, timedemo 1 of 59 fps in timedemo1? ? I don't believe it. What are
> your machine specs?

XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
latest nForce2 drivers

> Also, what game settings are you running: what resolution, what settings,
> etc.

Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have a
mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.

> Did you turn off anything in advanced settings?

Not touched the settings at all. I have no idea what it's running in.

Dan

Eric
August 4th 04, 03:50 PM
"Spack" > wrote in message
.. .

> XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
> latest nForce2 drivers
>

> Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have a
> mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
> enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.
>
> Dan

I hate those names of Anthlon chips. So what does an XP2400 mean (how does
it compare to say a Pentium 4 2.6 ghz)?

Also, did you run timedemo demo 1 command from the console (or are you just
running around looking at framerates). I still don't see a 5900xt going
that high in the timedemo command(unless you are at 640 x 480 resolution
maybe).

I bet you are on medium quality though -- as my 5900xt defaulted to medium
quality at 800 x 600. I set it to 1024 x 768 (high quality) though. I
think the default is based almost entirely on the vid card -- not the CPU.

Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If so,
that overrides the Doom settings.

Spack
August 4th 04, 04:07 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message

> "Spack" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >

> > XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
> > latest nForce2 drivers
> >

> > Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have
> > mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
> > enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I hate those names of Anthlon chips. So what does an XP2400 mean (how
does
> it compare to say a Pentium 4 2.6 ghz)?

XP2400 is equivalent to an Athlon Thunderbird at 2.4Ghz, so it's around the
P4 2.4Ghz mark.

> Also, did you run timedemo demo 1 command from the console (or are you
just
> running around looking at framerates). I still don't see a 5900xt going
> that high in the timedemo command(unless you are at 640 x 480 resolution
> maybe).

I pressed Ctrl Alt , and typed timedemo demo1. It ran the demo, and at the
end put a fps value up on the screen. That's the 59fps I posted.

> I bet you are on medium quality though -- as my 5900xt defaulted to medium
> quality at 800 x 600. I set it to 1024 x 768 (high quality) though. I
> think the default is based almost entirely on the vid card -- not the CPU.

I'll find out when I get home from work.

> Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If
so,
> that overrides the Doom settings.

No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
since install except to turn on dualview.

As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
Doom3 is running in.

Dan

Eric
August 4th 04, 04:34 PM
"Spack" > wrote in message
.. .

> No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
> since install except to turn on dualview.
>
> As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
> post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
> Doom3 is running in.
>
> Dan

I'll wait, but it seems damn near impossible based on this article
(regardless of your settings, unless you made the game look like original
doom):

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDY=

Are you sure you have an FX 5900XT (and not a 5900 ultra).

Granulated
August 4th 04, 04:38 PM
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:50:11 -0400 "Eric" > meeped :

>Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If so,
>that overrides the Doom settings.

Yeh.. force AF to OFF. makes a big difference to me.
After doing this I can now run smooth at 1024, MEDIUM with 4xAA
I set Vsync to ON.

P4 3ghz
1024MB ram
5900U 256
Audigy

oh..Frame rate is capped at 60 FPS anyway...just incase anyone didn't realise.
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Spack
August 4th 04, 04:55 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message

> "Spack" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> > No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
> > since install except to turn on dualview.
> >
> > As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
> > post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
> > Doom3 is running in.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I'll wait, but it seems damn near impossible based on this article
> (regardless of your settings, unless you made the game look like original
> doom):

As I said, I didn't touch any settings, and it sire as hell doesn't look
anything like the original Doom.

I've been messing with getting the settings from my PC via remote access -
bit slow though as it's currently downloading stuff. Anyway, here's the
nVidia driver settings:

Image settings: Quality
AF: application-controlled
AA: application-controlled
Vsync: application-controlled

Doom 3 image settings taken directly from the cfg file (can't run it via
remote access and see what's going on to use the menus)

seta r_debugArrowStep "120"
seta r_debugLineWidth "1"
seta r_debugLineDepthTest "0"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta r_forceLoadImages "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "486"
seta r_customWidth "720"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "3"
seta r_multiSamples "0"
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "20"
seta image_cacheMinK "200"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "2"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "1"
seta image_roundDown "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_anisotropy "1"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

I guess this is running at 800x600 looking at the height and width settings
(internally the engine defines this is 720x486, Googling I see this appears
in a number of Doom3 cfg files). I'll try it at higher settings when I get
home.

> http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDY=
>
> Are you sure you have an FX 5900XT (and not a 5900 ultra).

Leadtek A350XT TDH FX5900XT -
http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a350xt_tdh_1.html

And I haven't touched the settings on that either - stock speeds and
standard BIOS. In fact nothing on my system is overclocked, everything is at
standard speeds, and the OS was clean installed 2 weeks ago (upgraded from
2K to XP).

Dan

Eric
August 4th 04, 05:38 PM
"Granulated" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:50:11 -0400 "Eric" > meeped :
>

> Yeh.. force AF to OFF. makes a big difference to me.
> After doing this I can now run smooth at 1024, MEDIUM with 4xAA
> I set Vsync to ON.
>
> P4 3ghz
> 1024MB ram
> 5900U 256
> Audigy
>
> oh..Frame rate is capped at 60 FPS anyway...just incase anyone didn't
realise.
> --

Hell, with your setup, you should be able to get decent frames at 1024 x 768
(HIGH QUALITY). Per hardocp article, you should try NO AA -- hardocp says
little to no visual benefit with AA (anti-aliasing).

What do you get with timedemo1 on your settings?

Spack
August 4th 04, 05:46 PM
OK, started running some tests, here's the result so far:

800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync = 36fps
800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 =
30fps
800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync = 29fps
800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 = 26fps

XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Leadtek FX5900XT

I've found that the default settings on install were 640x480 medium settings
with no AA, hence the crazy looking 59fps.

Now to try some 1024x768 tests, although looking at the results so far I
think I'll stick with 800x600 high with aa x4 as it appears to be very
playable, and looks good.

Dan

Eric
August 4th 04, 05:57 PM
"Spack" > wrote in message
> OK, started running some tests, here's the result so far:
>
> 800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync =
36fps
> 800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 =
> 30fps
> 800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync = 29fps
> 800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 =
26fps

> XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Leadtek FX5900XT
>
> I've found that the default settings on install were 640x480 medium
settings
> with no AA, hence the crazy looking 59fps.
>
> Now to try some 1024x768 tests, although looking at the results so far I
> think I'll stick with 800x600 high with aa x4 as it appears to be very
> playable, and looks good.
>
> Dan

I knew something was weird --- I feel better now, since we have similar
systems and roughly similar results.

By the way, you might want to avoid AA (antialiasing) altogether. According
to the hardocp article on Doom3, AA has little or no visual benefit. AF
(anisotropic filtering) is a different story and is automatically set at 8x
in High Quality (unless overridden by your driver settings).

Right now I'm not sure which would be better to play visually (as the
framerates are roughly the same) -- -either 800 x 600 High Quality
(everything on as by default), or 1024 x 768 High Quality (but AF turned off
via driver controls).

I refuse to play medium quality --- since there are less sounds used. I
want the full sound effects too.

Spack
August 4th 04, 06:13 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message

> "Spack" > wrote in message
> > OK, started running some tests, here's the result so far:
> >
> > 800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync =
> 36fps
> > 800x600 medium quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 =
> > 30fps
> > 800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except AA and vsync =
29fps
> > 800x600 high quality, all advanced settings on except vsync, AA x 4 =
> 26fps
> >
> > XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Leadtek FX5900XT
> >
> > I've found that the default settings on install were 640x480 medium
> settings
> > with no AA, hence the crazy looking 59fps.
> >
> > Now to try some 1024x768 tests, although looking at the results so far I
> > think I'll stick with 800x600 high with aa x4 as it appears to be very
> > playable, and looks good.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I knew something was weird --- I feel better now, since we have similar
> systems and roughly similar results.
>
> By the way, you might want to avoid AA (antialiasing) altogether.
According
> to the hardocp article on Doom3, AA has little or no visual benefit. AF
> (anisotropic filtering) is a different story and is automatically set at
8x
> in High Quality (unless overridden by your driver settings).
>
> Right now I'm not sure which would be better to play visually (as the
> framerates are roughly the same) -- -either 800 x 600 High Quality
> (everything on as by default), or 1024 x 768 High Quality (but AF turned
off
> via driver controls).
>
> I refuse to play medium quality --- since there are less sounds used. I
> want the full sound effects too.

Little visual benefit with AA? I'm sure I could see a difference on my 19"
monitor, the edges of the guns look smoother for a start. I'll take some
screenies and compare them in Photoshop later.

Anyway, 1024x768 results:

1024x768 medium quality, all advanced options on except vsync, no AA = 27fps
1024x768 medium quality, all advanced options on except vsync, AA x4 = 22fps
1024x768 high quality, all advanced options on except vsync, no AA = 23fps
1024x768 high quality, all advanced options on except vsync, AA x4 = 18fps

Game appears to run smoothly except when the smoke effect from the shotgun
is present, that slows it down significantly. I'm going to play 800x600 high
with AA x4 for a while, see how I get on with that.

Dan

Spack
August 4th 04, 06:13 PM
I wonder if Skybuck Flying will post his timedemo scores :P

Dan

Spack
August 5th 04, 01:00 AM
"Eric" > wrote in message

> By the way, you might want to avoid AA (antialiasing) altogether.
According
> to the hardocp article on Doom3, AA has little or no visual benefit. AF
> (anisotropic filtering) is a different story and is automatically set at
8x
> in High Quality (unless overridden by your driver settings).

Just for the hell of it I took screenshots taken with 4x AA and no AA at
800x600 high quality and looked at them in Photoshop. I can see the
difference. I slapped the pics up at
http://www.spacker.dsl.pipex.com/doom3quality/index.htm in case you're
interested, although I guess you might have already checked this yourself on
your own system.

Dan

Eric
August 5th 04, 01:47 PM
I agree -- there is a difference. But the question is, is enabling 4x AA
worth the framerate hit, when you are talking about stuff you see only when
you look for it (or take a screenshot).

"Spack" > wrote in message
> "Eric" > wrote in message
>
> > By the way, you might want to avoid AA (antialiasing) altogether.
> According
> > to the hardocp article on Doom3, AA has little or no visual benefit.
AF
> > (anisotropic filtering) is a different story and is automatically set at
> 8x
> > in High Quality (unless overridden by your driver settings).
>
> Just for the hell of it I took screenshots taken with 4x AA and no AA at
> 800x600 high quality and looked at them in Photoshop. I can see the
> difference. I slapped the pics up at
> http://www.spacker.dsl.pipex.com/doom3quality/index.htm in case you're
> interested, although I guess you might have already checked this yourself
on
> your own system.
>
> Dan

Spack
August 5th 04, 02:22 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
> I agree -- there is a difference. But the question is, is enabling 4x AA
> worth the framerate hit, when you are talking about stuff you see only
when
> you look for it (or take a screenshot).

I notice it all over the place - with the angled strips next to every door,
and the harsh lighting highlighting edges all over the place, there are a
lot of jaggies that I notice. Even though the timedemo shows a 6fps hit with
4x AA enabled at 800x600 the game still plays very smoothly and I've not
felt like it has any lagging or stuttering, so for me the better image
quality is a bonus at what feels to be no speed penalty (even with what
sounds like a slow fps in this game, it doesn't feel like it's slow).

Dan