PDA

View Full Version : Replacing GPU fan on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 graphics card

Don
February 26th 04, 12:13 AM
The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel. I'm trying to replace it
with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
damaging the chip?

Thanks,
Don

John Lewis
February 26th 04, 02:04 AM
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:13:13 GMT, (Don) wrote:

>The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
>m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel.

Squirt a little Triflow (Sherwin-Williams) teflon lubricant into the
fan. That should cure the squeal. If not, then contemplate
replacing.

John Lewis

> I'm trying to replace it
>with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
>fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
>damaging the chip?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Don
February 26th 04, 06:13 AM
The ICEBERQ 4 fan I have has an integral heatsink. I want to
remove the existing SUNON fan along with it's heatsink. I'm afraid to
pull too hard to remove it from the top of the GPU chip. How is it
attached, and just how do I get it off?

Thanks in advance,
Don

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:13:13 GMT, (Don) wrote:

>The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
>m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel. I'm trying to replace it
>with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
>fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
>damaging the chip?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Don
February 26th 04, 06:16 AM
The ICEBERQ 4 fan I have has an integral heatsink. I want to
remove the existing SUNON fan along with it's heatsink. I'm afraid to
pull too hard to remove it from the top of the GPU chip. How is it
attached, and just how do I get it off?

Thanks in advance,
Don

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:13:13 GMT, (Don) wrote:

>The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
>m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel. I'm trying to replace it
>with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
>fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
>damaging the chip?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Don
February 26th 04, 06:20 AM
Ignore, this is a test. Trying to figure out why I can't post a
follow-up message.
Don

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:13:13 GMT, (Don) wrote:

>The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
>m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel. I'm trying to replace it
>with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
>fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
>damaging the chip?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Don
February 26th 04, 06:21 AM
The ICEBERQ 4 fan I have has an integral heatsink. I want to
remove the existing SUNON fan along with it's heatsink. I'm afraid to
pull too hard to remove it from the top of the GPU chip. How is it
attached, and just how do I get it off?

Thanks in advance,
Don

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:13:13 GMT, (Don) wrote:

>The GPU fan on my NVIDIA GeForce 5600 graphics card (came with my Hp
>m390n Media Center computer) makes a squeel. I'm trying to replace it
>with an ICEBERQ 4 fan, but can't figure out how to remove the SUNON
>fan from the GPU chip. Is it cemented on? How do I remove it without
>damaging the chip?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Bora Ugurlu
February 26th 04, 12:40 PM
Am Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:21:31 -0700, Don > schrieb:

>The ICEBERQ 4 fan I have has an integral heatsink. I want to
>remove the existing SUNON fan along with it's heatsink. I'm afraid to
>pull too hard to remove it from the top of the GPU chip. How is it
>attached, and just how do I get it off?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Don

Sometimes heat sinks are just screwed onto the card. If that's the
case you're lucky. If not, it is cemented (well, not exactly ^^) onto
the card with a heat dissipator substance. Just try to insert a sharp
razor between the chip and the sink. DON'T damage the chip while doing
so.

Cheers

Bora

Don
February 29th 04, 04:12 AM
Just thought I'd update everyone on what I did to fix my fan problem
on the video card. I had a Sunon fan/heatsink on my Nvidia GeForce
5600 card that was making a terrible squeeling sound. So, removed the
fan, not the heatsink, and mounted the fan from an ICEBERQ 4
fan/heatsink, which I bought from Fry's Electronics ($17). The
ICEBERQ 4 fan didn't mate with the screw holes of the Sunon heatsink,
so I just epoxyed the fan on the Sunon heatsink. I tried to remove
the Sunon fan/heatsink from the GPU chip using a razor blade, but was
finding it was taking too much force and I was making no progress. I
didn' t want to damage the GPU or the PC board. So, decided just
replacing the fan was the way to go. The ICEBERQ 4 fan screw holes
don't line up with the existing heatsink holes, so just position the
new fan so the mounting tabs lay on top of the lower heatsink fins
down in the cavity, and epoxy it to those fins. The new fan on the
existing heatsink works just fine. The GPU temp runs about 95 deg F
when running MS flight Simulator at 1024 x 768 resolution. And, the
new fan isn't all that loud. So, I'm a happy camper. Hope this helps
others with the problem. Looks like Sunon has generic problems with
their so called "Mag Levi" fans. I certainly don't like them.

Don