PDA

View Full Version : BFG FX5900 and Abit NF7-S problem resolved

Mark
February 25th 04, 04:13 AM
I could not get a BFG FX5900 to work on my Abit NF7-S V2 with a 300W
PSU.

I had BFG send a new card and it still did not work. I tried the card
on a different machine and got the same problem but that board only
had a 250 W PSU so it was not a good test.
I bought a new 500PSU and that did not help.
I even got a replacement board. I was happy that the new board was
slightly newer version with the lastest BIOS already installed (v22)
so no upgrading was needed.
They also changed some colors on the IDE and Memory slots.

I hoped it would solve my problem but it did not . You Some posted
that a $23 500W power supply probably did not put out what they say.
I was not sure but all signs were leading to that and I was just about
to go to Staples to try a name brand. It was not the PSU!

Then later today UPS delivered the THRID video card. BFG sent it right
out.

The first thing I noticed was it looked radically different. I could
not figure out what they sent me so went on line and saw it was the
ULTRA version which had 256 MB RAM on board vs the 128MB.
I popped it in and it worked IMMEDIATELY! Not the PSU at all and I
bet my older PSU would have worked.

I did a Pricewatch.com search and this brand card is selling for
$375!!! WHOO HOO!

BFG TECH SUPPORT ROCKS!

Oh and they were nice enough to send a prepaid return shipping label.
BFG ROCKS!

Even though it was a bit of a hassle, in the end the newer stuff was
worth it.

SO it was OBVIOUSLY the card but weird how they sent the other card
that did not work either. Maybe they did know of an issue and
figured they'd upgrade me to solve the problem. Very nice of them.

If it was the PSU then the new card would have created more of a
drain. The card should use MORE power since it has more memory on
it. SO if it was a board/PSU problem it should have been the same.

Maybe there were many more issues with the cards of that line than
they would like to admit.
Final- The BFG FX5900 ULTRA with 256 MB runs great on the NF7-S 2.0
As to the BFG FX5900, I can not say it works or they have cards out
there that are defective, even went sent direct from there location,
it would seem.

I post in case someone down the line has the same problem.

Rusty Smith
February 25th 04, 05:22 AM
I have the following problem and I believe it has to do with the Nvidia
reference design for the 5900 series of cards.

I have a GF 5900SE with bad on board memory. When I change the APG aperture
size in the BIOS the available VGA free memory changes. It appears that the
card is only working with 16MB or less of the onboard memory. When I set
the APG aperture to 32MB in the BIOS I can not run a any 3D applications. I
get a "out of video memory error". The card should be able to run some of
the 3D apps with 128 MB on board. The card appears to be using the system
memory to function.

Additional the following occurs on the Evga 5900SE card,

45.23 = 66MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits operates correctly),
45.33 = 96MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly),
52.16 = 4MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly),
53.03 = 2MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly).

"Mark" > wrote in message
om...
> I could not get a BFG FX5900 to work on my Abit NF7-S V2 with a 300W
> PSU.
>
> I had BFG send a new card and it still did not work. I tried the card
> on a different machine and got the same problem but that board only
> had a 250 W PSU so it was not a good test.
> I bought a new 500PSU and that did not help.
> I even got a replacement board. I was happy that the new board was
> slightly newer version with the lastest BIOS already installed (v22)
> so no upgrading was needed.
> They also changed some colors on the IDE and Memory slots.
>
> I hoped it would solve my problem but it did not . You Some posted
> that a $23 500W power supply probably did not put out what they say.
> I was not sure but all signs were leading to that and I was just about
> to go to Staples to try a name brand. It was not the PSU!
>
> Then later today UPS delivered the THRID video card. BFG sent it right
> out.
>
> The first thing I noticed was it looked radically different. I could
> not figure out what they sent me so went on line and saw it was the
> ULTRA version which had 256 MB RAM on board vs the 128MB.
> I popped it in and it worked IMMEDIATELY! Not the PSU at all and I
> bet my older PSU would have worked.
>
> I did a Pricewatch.com search and this brand card is selling for
> $375!!! WHOO HOO!
>
> BFG TECH SUPPORT ROCKS!
>
> Oh and they were nice enough to send a prepaid return shipping label.
> BFG ROCKS!
>

> Even though it was a bit of a hassle, in the end the newer stuff was
> worth it.
>
> SO it was OBVIOUSLY the card but weird how they sent the other card
> that did not work either. Maybe they did know of an issue and
> figured they'd upgrade me to solve the problem. Very nice of them.
>
> If it was the PSU then the new card would have created more of a
> drain. The card should use MORE power since it has more memory on
> it. SO if it was a board/PSU problem it should have been the same.
>
> Maybe there were many more issues with the cards of that line than
> they would like to admit.
> Final- The BFG FX5900 ULTRA with 256 MB runs great on the NF7-S 2.0
> As to the BFG FX5900, I can not say it works or they have cards out
> there that are defective, even went sent direct from there location,
> it would seem.
>
> I post in case someone down the line has the same problem.

The Black Wibble
February 25th 04, 10:04 AM
"Rusty Smith" > wrote in message
> I have the following problem and I believe it has to do with the Nvidia
> reference design for the 5900 series of cards.
>
> I have a GF 5900SE with bad on board memory. When I change the APG aperture
> size in the BIOS the available VGA free memory changes. It appears that the
> card is only working with 16MB or less of the onboard memory. When I set
> the APG aperture to 32MB in the BIOS I can not run a any 3D applications. I
> get a "out of video memory error". The card should be able to run some of
> the 3D apps with 128 MB on board. The card appears to be using the system
> memory to function.

I think there is something funny about the fx5900 series, too. You can test the VRAM usage with MemStatus.
It updates every second. http://68.7.221.92:81/Expression/downloads/MemStatus_24.zip I'm interested in
knowing what results you get when some texture heavy demo or app is loaded. If you have any of nVidia's demos
installed note that the Dusk demo uses 137MB, Dusk Ultra = 233MB, Vulcan = 125MB, Gas Station = a whopping
243MB.

Tony.

Russell Smith
February 26th 04, 10:03 PM
I am unable to run the test with current card because I RMAed it to
newegg.com.
I will run the test with the new card I recieve, if they don't just
repackage it and send it back.
I hope this one will be sealed in the antistatic bag when I recieve it.
The last one was sent in a unsealed box with a unsealed antistatic bag.
It could have been a used card or a previously RMAed card.
Anyway I will check it out when I get it back new or used, hopefully new
this time. LOL

"The Black Wibble" > wrote in message
> "Rusty Smith" > wrote in message
> > I have the following problem and I believe it has to do with the Nvidia
> > reference design for the 5900 series of cards.
> >
> > I have a GF 5900SE with bad on board memory. When I change the APG
aperture
> > size in the BIOS the available VGA free memory changes. It appears that
the
> > card is only working with 16MB or less of the onboard memory. When I
set
> > the APG aperture to 32MB in the BIOS I can not run a any 3D
applications. I
> > get a "out of video memory error". The card should be able to run some
of
> > the 3D apps with 128 MB on board. The card appears to be using the
system
> > memory to function.
>
> I think there is something funny about the fx5900 series, too. You can
test the VRAM usage with MemStatus.
> It updates every second.
http://68.7.221.92:81/Expression/downloads/MemStatus_24.zip I'm interested
in
> knowing what results you get when some texture heavy demo or app is
loaded. If you have any of nVidia's demos
> installed note that the Dusk demo uses 137MB, Dusk Ultra = 233MB, Vulcan =
125MB, Gas Station = a whopping
> 243MB.
>
> Tony.

neopolaris
March 1st 04, 12:53 AM
Someone in another forum wrote that his friend RMA'd a BFG 5900 and they
sent him back a new 5900Ultra.