PDA

View Full Version : COD - Stuttering at start of levels.

Psymaster
February 23rd 04, 04:20 PM
I've been playing COD for some time with my FX 5200. Although the card
is light-weight, it gets the job done most of the time. My problem is
that the first time a level is played (right after it's been loaded),
there is heavy stuttering for about 20-30 seconds. After that
everything seems to go more or less smoothly. If I die and the level
gets restarted, there is no stuttering. Anybody know what is this
caused by?

MheAd
February 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
"Psymaster" > skrev i meddelandet
> I've been playing COD for some time with my FX 5200. Although the card
> is light-weight, it gets the job done most of the time. My problem is
> that the first time a level is played (right after it's been loaded),
> there is heavy stuttering for about 20-30 seconds. After that
> everything seems to go more or less smoothly. If I die and the level
> gets restarted, there is no stuttering. Anybody know what is this
> caused by?

That doesn't sound as graph. card issue.
Most likely you have a fragmented hard drive, and / or low amount of RAM.

Mike
February 24th 04, 12:31 AM
I've had the same problem on my other machine with MOH. I agree with MheAD.
Sounds like a file access problem. My problem was with the sound. When I
started a new level everything worked fine until there were gunshots or
other prominent sounds. Then the framerate dropped and was chopppy for 10-15
sec, then fine afterwards. Try defraging your HD and if don't have much RAM,
try closing anything you're not using to free up some of that ram.

--
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2150Mhz
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R
"MheAd" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Psymaster" > skrev i meddelandet
> > I've been playing COD for some time with my FX 5200. Although the card
> > is light-weight, it gets the job done most of the time. My problem is
> > that the first time a level is played (right after it's been loaded),
> > there is heavy stuttering for about 20-30 seconds. After that
> > everything seems to go more or less smoothly. If I die and the level
> > gets restarted, there is no stuttering. Anybody know what is this
> > caused by?
>
> That doesn't sound as graph. card issue.
> Most likely you have a fragmented hard drive, and / or low amount of RAM.

Athura
February 24th 04, 10:49 AM
"Psymaster" > wrote in message
> I've been playing COD for some time with my FX 5200. Although the card
> is light-weight, it gets the job done most of the time. My problem is
> that the first time a level is played (right after it's been loaded),
> there is heavy stuttering for about 20-30 seconds. After that
> everything seems to go more or less smoothly. If I die and the level
> gets restarted, there is no stuttering. Anybody know what is this
> caused by?

Sounds like its stuttering as its loading the textures into memory, once
thats done, all is sweet. When you die you come back to the same level, so
the textures are again ready to go.

Shepİ
February 24th 04, 09:58 PM
On 23 Feb 2004 15:20:21 GMT Knowing the password Psymaster
> wrote :

>I've been playing COD for some time with my FX 5200. Although the card
>is light-weight, it gets the job done most of the time. My problem is
>that the first time a level is played (right after it's been loaded),
>there is heavy stuttering for about 20-30 seconds. After that
>everything seems to go more or less smoothly. If I die and the level
>gets restarted, there is no stuttering. Anybody know what is this
>caused by?

What operating system and how much RAM do you have?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Psymaster
February 24th 04, 11:16 PM
Shepİ > wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:58:07 GMT in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

> What operating system and how much RAM do you have?

Windows XP, 256.

John Lewis
February 25th 04, 04:09 AM
On 24 Feb 2004 22:16:30 GMT, Psymaster >
wrote:

>Shepİ > wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:58:07 GMT in
>alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
>
>> What operating system and how much RAM do you have?
>>

>Windows XP, 256.

Only meets minimum requirements....

Try 512 Meg and see if some of the stutter goes away.

John Lewis