PDA

View Full Version : power consumption of FX5900?

scott
February 23rd 04, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I wonder if anybody knows what the power consumption is of an FX5900 card?
I have found estimates of 50W and 75W, but need to know how much of that is
on which line (3.3,5,12V). I suspect most of it is on the 5V and 12V line
as that is what is on the connector.

Cheers

Scott

Apoo
February 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to upgrade to a
Nvidia chipset .. :-{
But the speed is worth it..
"scott" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anybody knows what the power consumption is of an FX5900 card?
> I have found estimates of 50W and 75W, but need to know how much of that
is
> on which line (3.3,5,12V). I suspect most of it is on the 5V and 12V line
> as that is what is on the connector.
>
> Cheers
>
> Scott

scott
February 24th 04, 04:29 PM
Apoo wrote:
> I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to
> upgrade to a Nvidia chipset .. :-{
> But the speed is worth it..

I was actually trying to do a calculation to see if my PSU was good enough
for my setup, I am having some stability issues.

> "scott" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if anybody knows what the power consumption is of an
> > FX5900 card? I have found estimates of 50W and 75W, but need to
> > know how much of that is on which line (3.3,5,12V). I suspect most
> > of it is on the 5V and 12V line as that is what is on the connector.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Scott

neopolaris
February 24th 04, 06:43 PM
Via boards do fine with them.

Apoo wrote:
> I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to
> upgrade to a Nvidia chipset .. :-{
> But the speed is worth it..
> "scott" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if anybody knows what the power consumption is of an FX5900
>> card? I have found estimates of 50W and 75W, but need to know how
>> much of that is on which line (3.3,5,12V). I suspect most of it is
>> on the 5V and 12V line as that is what is on the connector.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Scott

Dark Avenger
February 24th 04, 09:09 PM
"scott" > wrote in message >...
> Apoo wrote:
> > I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to
> > upgrade to a Nvidia chipset .. :-{
> > But the speed is worth it..
>
> I was actually trying to do a calculation to see if my PSU was good enough
> for my setup, I am having some stability issues.

....you just gave yourself the awnser...get a good PSU and be happy (
Enermax, Antec True Power )

scott
February 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Dark Avenger wrote:
> "scott" > wrote in message
> > Apoo wrote:
> > > I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to
> > > upgrade to a Nvidia chipset .. :-{
> > > But the speed is worth it..
> >
> > I was actually trying to do a calculation to see if my PSU was good
> > enough for my setup, I am having some stability issues.
>

> ...you just gave yourself the awnser...get a good PSU and be happy (
> Enermax, Antec True Power )

But I need to make sure I get high enough current rating on each line! Even
a 1000000 PSU that can only supply 20A on the 12V line won't work if I am
trying to draw 25A !!! I have calculated all the other powers, it's just it
makes quite a difference whether the 75W for my graphics card comes off the
12V, 5V or 3.3V line.

Apoo
February 26th 04, 04:31 PM
Thay would if it has the second power supply on the mainboard wich i think
is for the AGP..

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message ...
> Via boards do fine with them.
>
> Apoo wrote:
> > I know that a lot of Via mainboard's won't like it..As i had to
> > upgrade to a Nvidia chipset .. :-{
> > But the speed is worth it..
> > "scott" > wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wonder if anybody knows what the power consumption is of an FX5900
> >> card? I have found estimates of 50W and 75W, but need to know how
> >> much of that is on which line (3.3,5,12V). I suspect most of it is
> >> on the 5V and 12V line as that is what is on the connector.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Scott

Dark Avenger
February 27th 04, 10:14 PM
"scott" > wrote in message >...
> Dark Avenger wrote:
> > >
> > > I was actually trying to do a calculation to see if my PSU was good
> > > enough for my setup, I am having some stability issues.
> >

> > ...you just gave yourself the awnser...get a good PSU and be happy (
> > Enermax, Antec True Power )
>
> But I need to make sure I get high enough current rating on each line! Even
> a 1000000 PSU that can only supply 20A on the 12V line won't work if I am
> trying to draw 25A !!! I have calculated all the other powers, it's just it
> makes quite a difference whether the 75W for my graphics card comes off the
> 12V, 5V or 3.3V line.

Ofcourse... the said Wattage doesn't matters.. that is in most cases
peak wattage and in enermax and good PSU cases the nominal Wattage it
can deliver.

What matters is the volt line the parts use....